What is the economic health of your farm?

mexel75

What is the economic health of your farm?

Post by mexel75 »

How do you know if you are doing good or bad? How do you know how much your farm value increases over time?

Well, you could simulate selling the whole farm and compare that with what you would have received if you had sold some time ago. And use these numbers as an indicator on how well you are doing. But it's tedious, and not really worth doing again and again.

The easiest way, is to use the 'Finances' tab. But this tab has many limitations. The most obvious one, is that it doesn't stretch over more than a few days. This is a big limitation. Especially if you are playing Seasons, where your farming year is probably much longer than that.

One assurance that your farm is atleast producing a postitive result, is to play the game in a way that you never have any red numbers in your 'Totals'. But this isn't practical.

Bare with me, on a simple example:
You take a loan and buy an expensive harvester, and plan to pay it back with your upcoming wheat harvest. The 'Total' that shopping day, will be very red. Soon you are in the shop again. This time for a tractor and maybe a trailer. Red numbers again. Finally harvest day, and a big chunk of money in the 'Total' for that day. But does this cover all the investments you have done? Plus all ongoing cost like maintenance, wages and so on. You really have no idea, just looking at the 'Finance' tab.

So, I'm curious, how do YOU know if you actually are doing good or bad? Or do you simply not care that much, and buy stuff when you happends to have some money on your account? :-)
Illinois Farmer

Re: What is the economic health of your farm?

Post by Illinois Farmer »

To me, it is how much is land you have and what kind of equipment you run along with how much debt, if any.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

This^ and if you can expand a little bit every year. Since you can’t go on virtual vacations or to spend your money on life stuff I look at it as if I didn’t buy anything or expand anything over winter I broke even.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

You can try to set inventory goals instead of money goals. Maybe randomly pick a few things that have to be at 100,000L (or whatever you want) at the same time. You have to set up a different field/farm for different types of product. Say you pick wheat, cotton, potatoes, milk, and canola. You'll need to set up a grain farm for the wheat and canola, but you'll need to buy more fields to produce the others. It could take some time to be able to maintain the inventory since you'll need to sell a lot of it as you go to afford the new fields.
PS4
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

mexel75 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:20 pm
Bare with me…
No! I will not. Please keep your clothes on, there are other sites for stuff like this.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

My Medicine Creek save is 7mil in the hole...
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
mexel75

Post by mexel75 »

DEERE317 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:31 pm My Medicine Creek save is 7mil in the hole...
Ok, not bad(?). How long did it take you to build up all that?
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

DEERE317 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:31 pm My Medicine Creek save is 7mil in the hole...
My Midwest is 2 million in the hole, but i bought jd forage harvester and 8rx ha. Also have 500 beef cattle to sell soon along with a the entire global company corn dryer bin plus extra to get dried and sell.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:15 pm
My Midwest is 2 million in the hole, but i bought jd forage harvester and 8rx ha. Also have 500 beef cattle to sell soon along with a the entire global company corn dryer bin plus extra to get dried and sell.
My problem is I’m a tractor collector and it seems new stuff I have to have is always getting released by modders.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

mexel75 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:44 pm
Ok, not bad(?). How long did it take you to build up all that?
Few hundred hours and 3 9 (now 12) day seasons and currently own about 1/4 of the map.
adammac5858

Post by adammac5858 »

I'm playing on Chellington, I only own three smaller fields. I have two tractors, older ones along with an older tipper. My harvester is older also. I'm $200,000 in the hole and I'm sitting on about 10 grand in my bank account. I play on the hardest settings and can't afford cattle right now. My only income is my harvest, which only gave me $11,000 last year. I know I can't sustain while I have to pay the loan interest. I bought the John Deere batwing and a cheap loading wagon so I can get into grass silage. It won't make me much but it'll be my next source of income until I can afford cattle.

Essentially I just look at my loan debt, along with my averaging income every year. I'll role play and cheat in an extra $35,000 a year for my wife's "income". This helps :mrgreen:
FS17 on PS4
FS19 on Xbox Series X.
Xbox: Macdizzle58
Also logging some hours in Flight Simulator
Modders: THANK. YOU.
mexel75

Post by mexel75 »

adammac5858 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:32 pm I'm playing on Chellington, I only own three smaller fields. I have two tractors, older ones along with an older tipper. My harvester is older also. I'm $200,000 in the hole and I'm sitting on about 10 grand in my bank account. I play on the hardest settings and can't afford cattle right now. My only income is my harvest, which only gave me $11,000 last year. I know I can't sustain while I have to pay the loan interest. I bought the John Deere batwing and a cheap loading wagon so I can get into grass silage. It won't make me much but it'll be my next source of income until I can afford cattle.

Essentially I just look at my loan debt, along with my averaging income every year. I'll role play and cheat in an extra $35,000 a year for my wife's "income". This helps :mrgreen:
Yes, these tight economic games really put you on the spot to play efficiently and make the right decisions. Two players starting with exactly the same conditions can make completely different progress, depending on their decisions.