GPU-CPU Usage And FPS Problem

MEminK66

GPU-CPU Usage And FPS Problem

Post by MEminK66 »

İ have a gaming laptop but i cant run this game evet at medium graphic settings. CPU and GPU usage is always very low and i couldn't fix it no matter what i did.

I tried something different today and while i was in game i unplugged the laptop and all of a sudden the GPU usage was %100 while the CPU stuck was around %8. Normally both are around %20-%30.

And i have Intel Core i7-9750H with Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti Mobile graphic card and dual channel 16GB ram. I think both of them can handle this game easily but they cant. I would be very grateful if anyone could help.
aklein

Re: GPU-CPU Usage And FPS Problem

Post by aklein »

Farm sim does not support multi core CPU's and as such you are seeing this. Your 12 core CPU has two and at most four cores being used by FS at any point in time. This is normal and hopefully FS22 with its move to DX12 will be far better at utilizing high core count CPU's. What you experience with the laptop when you unplug from power is the laptop power throttling the GPU you an see its running at a very low MHZ speed and your frames will drop to 30FPS max until you plug back in. The fact the GPU rarely ever goes to 100% is also a sign of some sort of bottleneck somewhere outside the GPU. I see this very thing with a 12 core 24 thread CPU and a 2080Super. CPU sits at under 10% and GPU might hit 40-50% while frames are on some maps sub 60FPS at 1440p. The system is running at a trot but the engine just does not tax it. I dont think its a bottleneck at the CPU as the cores in use are not maxed out.

Again I hope the move to DX12 and other things in FS22 aid in increasing performance across higher end systems.

I have been known to run FS while encoding a video in Premier or one time I had FS running in the background with Courseplay working some fields while I had snowrunner up.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

It's not you or your hardware, it's a brilliant strategy on their part to target more players.
To quote a good friend "every computer with 4 cores, or more, has 1 core. So by targeting 1 core one is actually targeting 100% of users" :lol:
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

For the OP
Could you post your log.txt? The game engines not perfect but that seems way off as nothing is pinned at 100%
FarmBoss wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:59 pm It's not you or your hardware, it's a brilliant strategy on their part to target more players.
To quote a good friend "every computer with 4 cores, or more, has 1 core. So by targeting 1 core one is actually targeting 100% of users" :lol:
Congratulations on offering zero help to the guy, and not even having a pretense other than your hobby of GIANTS bashing.

I wish I had Mwal's self control when it comes to giving this stuff attention...
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

It was just a joke dude, relax. You don't need self control, you need a sense of humor.
I think aklein answered the question nicely.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

FarmBoss wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:49 pm It was just a joke dude, relax. You don't need self control, you need a sense of humor.
I think aklein answered the question nicely.
Your humor comes across like GIANTS beating.
Granted I like dad jokes and dark humor so I have different tastes... :lol:
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
JTACE

Post by JTACE »

how do you put that info of cpu and gpu showing in game?
JTACE

Post by JTACE »

And I have de same problem with fps they drop significantly at some areas of the map but this wasn't a problem when I have the geforce expirience working but now I don't know why stop working a few months ago probably a year.
JTACE

Post by JTACE »

And I don't know how many mod do you have installed but I think that I'll afect the performance.
Where was a topic that talk about it and the aklein let a good info there.
The topic is this one viewtopic.php?f=963&t=169582&sid=ce6d3f ... 2#p1303742
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

I am not sure where this misconception that a well optimised game will use high CPU and GPU comes from. A game that runs at 100% CPU, or GPU actually points to a poorly optimised game. You can search for this yourself and find the same info for other games. E.g. https://steamcommunity.com/app/834910/d ... 040986719/

You do not mention exactly which laptop you have, but it is not exactly a powerhouse in CPU, or GPU power. There are a few things that you should check though. Make sure that your power plan is set to high perf. Then edit the high perf power plan and go to processor power management. Check that minimum processor state plugged in is 100%. Check that maximum processor state plugged in is 100%. Check your cooling policy. Make sure that it is set to active when plugged in. Always play the game plugged in to allow your laptop to run at full power.
Last edited by theSeb on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

aklein wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:37 pm Farm sim does not support multi core CPU's and as such you are seeing this. Your 12 core CPU has two and at most four cores being used by FS at any point in time. This is normal and hopefully FS22 with its move to DX12 will be far better at utilizing high core count CPU's. What you experience with the laptop when you unplug from power is the laptop power throttling the GPU you an see its running at a very low MHZ speed and your frames will drop to 30FPS max until you plug back in. The fact the GPU rarely ever goes to 100% is also a sign of some sort of bottleneck somewhere outside the GPU. I see this very thing with a 12 core 24 thread CPU and a 2080Super. CPU sits at under 10% and GPU might hit 40-50% while frames are on some maps sub 60FPS at 1440p. The system is running at a trot but the engine just does not tax it. I dont think its a bottleneck at the CPU as the cores in use are not maxed out.

Again I hope the move to DX12 and other things in FS22 aid in increasing performance across higher end systems.

I have been known to run FS while encoding a video in Premier or one time I had FS running in the background with Courseplay working some fields while I had snowrunner up.
Farm Sim does support multi-core CPUs. Not as well as it could, but it does support them and it does use more than one core quite happily. His CPU is a 6 core, not a 12 core. What you are seeing is the 12 threads, since the CPU supports multi-threading.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

JTACE wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:32 pm how do you put that info of cpu and gpu showing in game?
I believe that is MSI Afterburner, a GPU Overclocking and hardware monitoring utility released for free by MSI for all AMD and Nvidia GPU’s.
JTACE

Post by JTACE »

DEERE317 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:32 pm
JTACE wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:32 pm how do you put that info of cpu and gpu showing in game?
I believe that is MSI Afterburner, a GPU Overclocking and hardware monitoring utility released for free by MSI for all AMD and Nvidia GPU’s.
So what you are saying Nvidia GPU's is the geforce expirience?
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Geforce Experience is Nvidias GPU driver and graphics adjustment (I think, I don’t use it with my 1660ti)
Afterburner is a hardware OC and monitoring tool not released/supported by Nvidia but by MSI