Growth rate problem

Volkeye

Growth rate problem

Post by Volkeye »

I think the problem I’m having is with the Geo I’m using or the fact that I switched Geo’s and added precision farming the previous winter, but I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem or any ideas.

Welker farm map-Indiana Geo( original, hungry cow, not Griffin Indiana)

I planted everything on time. Harvested winter wheat and planted “short season” beans. I’ve done that successfully the last three years.

Everything I planted in the spring took several extra transitions to mature. Potatoes still haven’t. I’m on the last day of late fall. Grass I planted in the spring never did get to growth stage 3 so I cut it at 2. Now it won’t turn to hay. Tedder doesn’t help. It gets up to about 23% moisture at night and down to about 17 during the day. I did get some hay in mid summer from fields I had previously planted a few years ago.

I’m just interested to know if anyone had any other ideas. On this Geo I can still harvest in early winter so I’ll let it go and see what happens but I think I’ll switch back to the Midwest Geo in mid winter. Could adding precision farming have anything to do with this? I’m not a huge fan to begin with. I plant and apply fertilizer at the same time and that’s it. I love the idea of variable rate application, it just needs some tweaking.