Silage harvester in FS 17, PS4.

FarmingCon

Silage harvester in FS 17, PS4.

Post by FarmingCon »

In th FS 15, you could collect straw swaths with the silage harvester, turning them to silage. In FS 17 this ability does not exist. What happened, and why?

Edit don_apple: topic moved from german to english section.
Lexie

Re: Silage harvester in FS 17, PS4.

Post by Lexie »

I think it's gone because it's not something you will do in real life and is not possible too. In FS19 it's also not an option.
FarmingCon

Post by FarmingCon »

This doesn't make alot of sense if you think about it. You can turn the entire field into chaff, the chaff is ground-up plant-matter. The straw left behind from a harvester is necessarily included if you chaff the field. Grinding up straw yields plant matter by itself, and placed into the silage bunker with all the other ground up matter, such as the hay and grass would yield the fermented silage. Not that I'm arguing the point, it just makes no sense to me that you can't use the same tool that is used to pick up grass or hay swaths for the silage harvester to pick up the straw as well.
Any real farmers out there that can give me a reason that this isn't done?
Yeahrightio

Post by Yeahrightio »

It's a yes and no answer farming con. We tried it with a taarup chopper once and it turned the chaff into dust. However, it also can come in handy like that. Our local chaff cutters that supply the Lucerne chaff for the race horses use a new Holland 339 double chop forager with a modified intake and it does a nice job. Header chaff is to dry and will dust if you stomp on it, or it does in Australia anyway. Hahaha. If our little taarup did it, I'd say the big X would certainly dust it, and Ive never seen it done, not that I look out for it but for the few dairy farms here that own choppers, a baler will do that job on their farms.
G'day from Australia :hi:
Fiatagri, the Italian stallion

PC has finally won me over, back to 17 now, Western Shore.
- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

The farm focuses on Milk production, with cereals, grass silage and potato’s on the side for some extra income, whilst running a multitude of modern classics.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

As per yeahrightio, you won't get silage in real life from straw. You need moisture, hence why grass for silage in the UK is cut early in the year and corn for silage is cut in late autumn. Straw from a harvest will be very dry and will not ferment.
FarmingCon

Post by FarmingCon »

Sorry about the re-post. Im new to the forum, and thought my phone failed to post it.

Okay, that makes some sense to me. The straw is pretty dry, but then so is teddered grass (hay) which can be turned into chaff, and it would, in my mind, turn to dust as well, yet the harvester chops that fine. The real world input about moisture does raise a second question though. Ever see straw that has been rained on? If, for the sake of discussion, you windrowed it or collected it and set it aside until a good rain came... I bet the wet straw would not fare so poorly when chopped, and then the biomass would ferment, especially if it were incorporated with other chaffed materials. It should be all about the fermentation process, like composting for a garden, which usually involves many different remnants such as leaves, grass cuttings, potatoes skins, etc. Once the process starts, there is heat and moisture in everything under the tarp.
At any rate, thanks for the input. I guess I'm just kinda bummed I can't fill my bunkers at the Bio Plant as I did in FS15.
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

FarmingCon wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:06 pm Sorry about the re-post. Im new to the forum, and thought my phone failed to post it.

Okay, that makes some sense to me. The straw is pretty dry, but then so is teddered grass (hay) which can be turned into chaff, and it would, in my mind, turn to dust as well, yet the harvester chops that fine. The real world input about moisture does raise a second question though. Ever see straw that has been rained on? If, for the sake of discussion, you windrowed it or collected it and set it aside until a good rain came... I bet the wet straw would not fare so poorly when chopped, and then the biomass would ferment, especially if it were incorporated with other chaffed materials. It should be all about the fermentation process, like composting for a garden, which usually involves many different remnants such as leaves, grass cuttings, potatoes skins, etc. Once the process starts, there is heat and moisture in everything under the tarp.
At any rate, thanks for the input. I guess I'm just kinda bummed I can't fill my bunkers at the Bio Plant as I did in FS15.
Maybe this will help you understand, If you order a pizza it will be delicious and nutritious for you just like the corn, or whatever crop you chop to make silage is for your livestock. The straw is the box. If you soak it in water you only have wet cardboard.
Playing on PC and PS4
FarmingCon

Post by FarmingCon »

I thought of it as just one ingredient in a mixture. I was chaffing the straw swaths, grass, corn, barley, and dumping it in the silos.so the silage was a mixture itself. You end up putting straw into the TMR later too, unfermented. The fermenting process would alter the biomass in the silos, I think. Not sure. Food for thought. Thanks for the insight, I'm enjoying the game like this too.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

If you mow wheat or oats when they are green (moisture in the plant) then chop you will get good silage for cattle. Once you combine (dry) that straw is just good for bedding.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.