If you like mods, pre-order

Eische

Re: If you like mods, pre-order

Post by Eische »

Main problem is our perspective on the final product and our own personal preferences:
- Some people are expecting Seasons to be part of basegame, others don't bother
- some people expecting more realistic machine behaiour, others don't bother
Giants uses mods and their popularity to determine which features should be in the next versions of the game. You can see it as just asking the players indirectly. This is exactly the same as any other company is doing it: get feedback from the users/customers. We should be thankful, that Giants is improving/evolving the game with additional features and not just simply improving graphics.

And yes, most of the time a modder came up with a specific idea first. He has thought about it in his free time, worked on it without any financial compensation, because he wanted to get it in the game for his personal use. The additional step to provide a mod to the public is just a very generous step taken by each modder.
With this, they are exposing themselfes to either a lot of likes or a lot of hate from the player base. Or simply no appreciation at all.
And yes, all 3m cultivators (because that is running gag) are also some sort of feature improving the game. Maybe there are players out there wanting to use that partucular model from that specific brand?
It is possible because modders think the same.

Giants on the other hand needs to focus on features/brands/equipment that will most likely attract the largest amount of players. And as it looks like, this route seems to work awesome for them.
That goes along with "dumbed down" implementation or call it simplification. Not everyone will be satisfied, but the functionality will be in basegame and modders have a better starting point to improve or add complexity.
And to not forget, that console players also benefit from "stealing" mods for basegame implementation.

Let's just imagine Giants would not contantly bring certain mod features into the basegame:
We would have to wait for the mods to come out and frustration level would be high for the thirsty players.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
Gormett

Post by Gormett »

Eische wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:51 am We should be thankful, that Giants is improving/evolving the game with additional features and not just simply improving graphics.

Giants on the other hand needs to focus on features/brands/equipment that will most likely attract the largest amount of players. And as it looks like, this route seems to work awesome for them.
That goes along with "dumbed down" implementation or call it simplification. Not everyone will be satisfied, but the functionality will be in basegame and modders have a better starting point to improve or add complexity.
And to not forget, that console players also benefit from "stealing" mods for basegame implementation.

Let's just imagine Giants would not contantly bring certain mod features into the basegame:
We would have to wait for the mods to come out and frustration level would be high for the thirsty players.
Yes, we should be thankful that a company is doing the bare minimum and rereleasing the same product which players already can experience in their previous game using mods. Don't be thankful to modders for adding stuff to the game for free and doing Giants' work which they can later just copy and paste into a "new" game, nah, thank Giants. And I don't think adding a 2005 feature is improving graphics. Have you seen SCS software and all the updates they provide for free for two games ?

Giants focusing on brands and equipment isn't that nice to see when modders are capable of doing that work already, meanwhile stuff that modders can't simply fix such as better physics or dynamic ground are ignored

Aren't people already saying "I'll buy it once the good mods are available" if it wasn't for modders I wonder how long would the game survive.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Gormett wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:06 pm
Yes, we should be thankful that a company is doing the bare minimum and rereleasing the same product which players already can experience in their previous game using mods. Don't be thankful to modders for adding stuff to the game for free and doing Giants' work which they can later just copy and paste into a "new" game, nah, thank Giants. And I don't think adding a 2005 feature is improving graphics. Have you seen SCS software and all the updates they provide for free for two games ?

Giants focusing on brands and equipment isn't that nice to see when modders are capable of doing that work already, meanwhile stuff that modders can't simply fix such as better physics or dynamic ground are ignored

Aren't people already saying "I'll buy it once the good mods are available" if it wasn't for modders I wonder how long would the game survive.
I would just like to thank you for your hilarious rants, almost completely based on things no one but the developers know are fact or not. You argue and rage completely in hypotheticals and it’s been a nice read to accompany my peanut butter and jelly sandwich on lunch. Even threw a salute to modders in there, whom which no one was disparaging.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Gormett wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:06 pm Yes, we should be thankful that a company is doing the bare minimum and rereleasing the same product which players already can experience in their previous game using mods. Don't be thankful to modders for adding stuff to the game for free and doing Giants' work which they can later just copy and paste into a "new" game, nah, thank Giants. And I don't think adding a 2005 feature is improving graphics. Have you seen SCS software and all the updates they provide for free for two games ?

Didn't know GIANTS copy and pasted mods into the game (cause I don't see any unless you count the fact many machines were modded before being included). As for updates GIANTS does free updates as do basically every other software developer. If your meaning content I don't remember SCS giving out free map expansions...

Didn't know modders had an easy time getting licensing for console mods. Also didn't know that most players wanted dynamic terrain. I imagine there's a technical reason for physics being the way they are but they're not terrible (ie they function semi well)

You're using a highly biased sample base, most everyone on here are enthusiasts to one degree or another and use mods heavily, most players don't. (ie I have a friend who happily plays FS15 on a XB360 and has for years)
Comments in the qoute.
Also its nice you assume everyone wants to play Cows and Crops or extreme realism. Cause they don't.
Mwal wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:24 pm I would just like to thank you for your hilarious rants, almost completely based on things no one but the developers know are fact or not. You argue and rage completely in hypotheticals and it’s been a nice read to accompany my peanut butter and jelly sandwich on lunch. Even threw a salute to modders in there, whom which no one was disparaging.
You think FarmerCaseIH's popcorn will be done in time to accompany this theatre show?
Also to add comedy this user has only ever posted about how terrible GIANTS and FS is and has never actually posted any other content to this forum..
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Yeah it was a pretty crappy sandwich
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

My popcorn should be done by the time the game comes out at least lol
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Farmercaseih wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:57 am My popcorn should be done by the time the game comes out at least lol
If that’s the case I hope you have lots as we may need it, wether or not the game lives up to expectations.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

Gormett wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:06 pm Yes, we should be thankful that a company is doing the bare minimum and rereleasing the same product which players already can experience in their previous game using mods. Don't be thankful to modders for adding stuff to the game for free and doing Giants' work which they can later just copy and paste into a "new" game, nah, thank Giants. And I don't think adding a 2005 feature is improving graphics. Have you seen SCS software and all the updates they provide for free for two games ?

Couldn't agree more...modders are why people keep buying and playing this game.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Gormett wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:06 pm Aren't people already saying "I'll buy it once the good mods are available" if it wasn't for modders I wonder how long would the game survive.
Yes, "people" are saying this and people have been saying this ever since I became a part of this community when we were all playing FS 11. The reality is though that these people are a drop in the ocean in comparison to the total sales figures. It's a meaningless gesture when FS 19 sold over 1 million in 10 days after release and it won't make any dent for the company to notice. It's like an army of 20 ants trying to stop an elephant. The elephant does not even realise that there was an army trying to stop it, as it made its way to the watering hole.
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

This game series has brought me a heap of entertainment on PS4, I even spend time on a forum dedicated to it.. Switching over to PC because of it (at least partly because of it). Of course I am pre-ordering.
Came here for information, stayed for the entertainment.
JamP

Post by JamP »

eric21 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:25 pm
JamP wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:13 pm The price on the console does not suit the reality, at least it is so in the xbox store of my country.

So the Giants will see my money when I think the amount paid is consistent with the game they offer me, but I still don't know what the game is. But from experience it will be more of the same with some improvements and won't be worth the launch price anyway.

I'm on the waiting team. But if someone's tearing up money, I'll accept it as a gift.
Unfortunately giants has no control of currency rates in Brazil
What are you talking about? The basic FS19 was being sold for the same price as the Red Dead Redemption 2 DE on its release. It has nothing to do with exchange rates.

Edit: I looked at this now and the base FS19 was more expensive than RDR2 at launch.
Playing on Xbox
Stream on Twitch

From no man's land... Oh, Brazil!

Giants Image Server
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

theSeb wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:21 am
Gormett wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:06 pm Aren't people already saying "I'll buy it once the good mods are available" if it wasn't for modders I wonder how long would the game survive.
Yes, "people" are saying this and people have been saying this ever since I became a part of this community when we were all playing FS 11. The reality is though that these people are a drop in the ocean in comparison to the total sales figures. It's a meaningless gesture when FS 19 sold over 1 million in 10 days after release and it won't make any dent for the company to notice. It's like an army of 20 ants trying to stop an elephant. The elephant does not even realise that there was an army trying to stop it, as it made its way to the watering hole.
It's also like saying "If you like mods, pre-order" is going to make a difference to Giants income.
Since people who use mods are just a drop in the ocean, this topic is a meaningless gesture.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

FarmBoss wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:13 pm It's also like saying "If you like mods, pre-order" is going to make a difference to Giants income.
True, the original post makes little sense to.
Since people who use mods are just a drop in the ocean, this topic is a meaningless gesture.
This is demonstrably false, because popular mods have millions of downloads. Therefore, the number of people at least trying mods as a percentage of estimated total users is not an insignificant number.
Eonellivlem

Post by Eonellivlem »

My first FS game was 17 and i put a couple hundred hours into that. I bought 19 on release with season pass, and while the season pass was exceptional value for money(primarily because 22 was delayed) most of it was meh for me personally. There wasn't really anything "new" to the game. So I havnt really played 19 at all, all i have done is set up some farms and then got bored. So for me i'm waiting to see if there's any real improvements. Sadly its looking more and more like the farming simulator franchise is just like EA's Fifa, more of the same with some new and improved content.
Bot Roast

Post by Bot Roast »

^ It takes a lot of work to make a game and there is only so much you can do in 2 years time. If you want massive upgrades from title to title just wait the normal 8 years before you pick up the next copy. That would be FS30.

Also, Giants could hire a bunch of people to make the mods in house and charge $5 a pack. Just think about that :biggrin2: