Seasons and weeds...

squerble

Seasons and weeds...

Post by squerble »

Hey all!

I'll preempt the first response, and say I've already read the manual!

So the manual says that the game mechanic "plants" weeds whenever a fields is harvested, and then it germinates based on soil temperature etc. - this is fine and makes sense. The manual also says that we can spray herbicide before seeding to have a preemptive effect and weeds will not grow until the next time that field is harvested - OK, great.

However, in my current game (Sandy Bay running Seasons with the Shropshire GEO), I had a field that I harvested, then cultivated, then sprayed, then seeded, but now have weeds sprouting up again. Have I missed something really obvious here? It's costing me an arm and a leg in herbicide costs :lol:
ctb123

Re: Seasons and weeds...

Post by ctb123 »

I think you need to put the herbicide down after you plant.
squerble

Post by squerble »

ctb123 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:18 pm I think you need to put the herbicide down after you plant.
Unfortunately, the guide says otherwise:
"The preemptive effect means that players can spray their field even before seeding and before any weeds are visible to safeguard against weed related yield losses."
...but I'm not seeing this behaviour.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

I always use a drill which does not apply fert as well, then spray herbicide straight after drilling and I have not had any issues with weeds appearing afterwards.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

My apologies, the guide in that case is incorrect and I ought to change it. Any field operations like seeding, or cultivating "replant" the weeds automagically by the game, so you do indeed need to spray just after seeding :(
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

theSeb wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:57 pm My apologies, the guide in that case is incorrect and I ought to change it. Any field operations like seeding, or cultivating "replant" the weeds automagically by the game, so you do indeed need to spray just after seeding :(
I assume that would only include field operations that change the ground or the crop (mowing, harvesting, tilling or drilling). Spraying or spreading fertilizer would not "replant" the weeds correct?
PS4
squerble

Post by squerble »

theSeb wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:57 pm My apologies, the guide in that case is incorrect and I ought to change it. Any field operations like seeding, or cultivating "replant" the weeds automagically by the game, so you do indeed need to spray just after seeding :(
Ah no need for apologies, that certainly explains why I'm seeing the weeds appear. Thanks for clearing that up *thumbsup*
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

FarmerDan72 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:25 pm
I assume that would only include field operations that change the ground or the crop (mowing, harvesting, tilling or drilling). Spraying or spreading fertilizer would not "replant" the weeds correct?
From my experience that is correct
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

I cannot remember the mowing grass bit 100%, but a definite yes for the other bits. Logically speaking mowing grass probably does too.
squerble

Post by squerble »

theSeb wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:07 am
I cannot remember the mowing grass bit 100%, but a definite yes for the other bits. Logically speaking mowing grass probably does too.
Mowing definitely replants the weeds - another thing costing me a lot in herbicide having to respray all the grass fields 2-3 times a year :lol:
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

I will comment on that, that is highly unrealistic. Routinely haying a field basically beats weeds into submission as they get cut off and before going to seed meaning new weeds have a hard time growing and the already planted weeds rapidly expend all their energy trying to regrow. Also known as every hayfield we cut, started out as weedy garbage and just a couple years of routine correctly timed cutting later they’re very nice.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Hoffa82

Post by Hoffa82 »

DEERE317 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:48 am I will comment on that, that is highly unrealistic. Routinely haying a field basically beats weeds into submission as they get cut off and before going to seed meaning new weeds have a hard time growing and the already planted weeds rapidly expend all their energy trying to regrow. Also known as every hayfield we cut, started out as weedy garbage and just a couple years of routine correctly timed cutting later they’re very nice.
I really hope we'll get more realistic weed control in the future, trying efficient green/eco farming with seasons and precision farming is next to impossible I feel.
I also hope precision farming keeps on developing so we get much more dynamic soil management, so it actually matters what type of cultivator or plow etc. one use.

For now I have weeds turned off, not realistic but at least I can pretend I have it under control instead of it popping up everywhere.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Yeah, definitely don't spray any herbicide on hay fields. Our hay fields and plants with oats, that gets combined or mowed then it will be hay for 5 years. The only thing we spray, sometimes, is pesticide.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Kederk

Post by Kederk »

DOH! I was pulling my hair out (what little is left) trying to figure out what I was doing wrong when spraying herbicide before planting and came across this thread. Thanks for the response theSeb!
Daily Realistic North American Farming Simulator Content!
https://www.youtube.com/KederkFarms
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Sorry guys. I have updated the naughty website content