The choice of future gaming

Aholz89

Re: The choice of future gaming

Post by Aholz89 »

Thanks for a comprehensive response Ajfarmer. I have looked into building one my self and while checking for parts I find that I am ending with a price not far from having them building the pc for me, and with 3 year warranty as well. But I will look into getting something decent used to start with and maybe upgrading the most important parts.

As I live in Norway, the price is pretty high, and getting parts from somewhere else usually gets a nice litte toll fee.

Maybe I am getting too excited choosing parts as well..

This game... SMH... well it is usually my go to game..
Came here for information, stayed for the entertainment.
ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

@Aholz89
I hear you on the price of building your own and picking parts. I spent weeks deciding the cheapest parts with the best specs and somehow you always seem to pick the part that is 10 to 20 bucks more and in the end you spent well over you intended budget :lol:
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I own the game on both console and Pc I can promise you that PC will blow the console version away to the point it will be difficult to play the console version even with friends. As far as stability goes if you’re careful with how you get your mods and where you get them from and try them on a copy save for testing mods you will be protected. You also get the option of backup saves and making your own backup as I stated previously strictly for testing mods. If you test after downloading you will have very few mod conflicts you can’t very easily eliminate. The ability to check the log is also extremely helpful, another advantage of pc over console. I would make the point that you may run into more conflicts on pc they are easier to track down whilst on console they are nearly a death sentence due to the extremely inefficient way you select and deselect them with no log to pinpoint or no quick way to pull out large groups quickly. As far as mods from sources outside the in game hub, use the community or social media to find legitimate creators, sites, or links. With very little research or just a simple question here someone will be able to usually give an idea of safe or good sources that they have tried or regularly use. Lastly with your expense I would take into consideration that you’re talking a system that will last you 4-6 years worth of farm sim (2 games) can play all of the Xbox games and has crossplay with Xbox game pass, for a little more than double the price. All that and on top of it a pc is a machine that can do so much more for you than just play a video game. Personally there will never be another Xbox in my house due to the fact I can play every Xbox exclusive on pc. With a PlayStation and a Pc you can have access to any game outside of a Nintendo product.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

If you have to pick, pick a PC. Then get a Steam account so you can demo games for 2 hours.
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

Thanks for all the feedback, yes I can't justify getting both PC and next gen console as my other hobbies also are somewhat expensive :lol:

But seems like the logical choice is PC, I'll have to spend some time finding a good setup. Or just bellyflop into it with my eyes closed.

Thanks again, you may close this or leave it open for others with same dillemma.
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

Hi again folks, just a follow-up question.

Now that I have my computer up and running.

Best to just wait for FS22 and keep playing FS19 on PS4, or buy FS19 for remaining months until FS22?
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

Totally up to you but take into consideration that FS22 wont release for 3.5 months and when it comes out it will most likely be a desolate mod wasteland. FS19 on the other hand is an oasis of mods that will continue to give satisfying play for quite some time. Also not a bad idea to get a handle on pc things so that when you're ready to start 22 you know what you're doing.
Playing on PC and PS4
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

... also it gives you the grounds to moan about how terrible FS22 is compared to FS19 .... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Hoffa82

Post by Hoffa82 »

Aholz89 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:24 pm ...Now that I have my computer up and running....
Just out of curiosity, what hardware did you buy?

I'm looking to switch from my laptop to desktop, as I don't need the flexibility anymore.
But right now I can't justify the cost to upgrade from my rtx2060 laptop, so it will suffice for now. And I hope it will run fs22 decent.
Doc3d

Post by Doc3d »

I came in to chime my 2 cents but see you already took the plunge, Aholz89. I saw a few comments that I would suggest disregarding, but as you already bought a PC, they are mute now (I’ll post anyway, in case someone else is having the same dilemma.)

First off:
The biggest advantage with PC is the freedom. There is no slot-count to worry about and you can have as many mods as you wish without much difference to performance. Once you get the basics, you can also upgrade your pc in steps, it’s not like you have to get a complete new pc every few years. Make sure you get enough memory to comfortably run the games you enjoy, I would suggest 32Gb, as ram is pretty inexpensive, and a fast ssd, preferably a M2. Then once you feel is is getting a little long in the tooth after a few years, you upgrade your cpu OR gfx card, and your set for another 2-3 years or more if not really punching the latest AAA games in 4K ultra.

Buying a i7 compatible motherboard will NOT have you set for decades, as was stated on the previous page. Intel in notorious for changing their chipset every other generation, making anybody wanting to upgrade also have to change motherboards. AMD have a better track record for this, but “once in a while” they also change pin count or chipset, making you have to upgrade both cpu and MB at the same time, just so you know.

I also live in Norway, and trust me on this, our electronics prices are generally below what most other countries pay, as well as our insane consumer laws making electronics in Norway cheap compared to others

Good luck with your new computer, I’m pretty sure you will be happy

PS: there might be some give-away copies of FS19 so you can get it for free. I think Epic store has a thing where you can get it for free. It’s most likely very cheap on steam as well now, so might be worth it, to get you climatized before FS22 drops 😊
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

Doc3d wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:51 am
The biggest advantage with PC is the freedom. There is no slot-count to worry about and you can have as many mods as you wish without much difference to performance.
True there is no slot count/slot limit but this is simply because there is such a difference in hardware between systems. More mods do in fact impact performance depending on your particular system.
Playing on PC and PS4
Guil

Post by Guil »

Just on the cpu comment, i7 doesn't mean anything for compatibility. The socket is what determines what cpu can physically fit.
Doc3d

Post by Doc3d »

Guil wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:22 pm Just on the cpu comment, i7 doesn't mean anything for compatibility. The socket is what determines what cpu can physically fit.
True, but i7 is one of intels cpus, and they do change chipsets every 2 years or so. But you are correct, the cpu on the new chipset is most likely also called i5, i7 or i9

Basically the issue is correct, but the definition was wrong 😁
Drmattymd wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:01 pm
Doc3d wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:51 am
The biggest advantage with PC is the freedom. There is no slot-count to worry about and you can have as many mods as you wish without much difference to performance.
True there is no slot count/slot limit but this is simply because there is such a difference in hardware between systems. More mods do in fact impact performance depending on your particular system.
This is also true, but with little consequences on a modern pc. My pc is almost 4 years old now and I run with 4-500 mods at all times with no issues with performance on setting very high and additional drawdistance set by edit. I don’t get 60fps, but don’t feel I need it either. Usually I lurk around 30-40 FPS and that’s enough for my gameplay-style
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

Hoffa82 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:09 am
Aholz89 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:24 pm ...Now that I have my computer up and running....
Just out of curiosity, what hardware did you buy?

I'm looking to switch from my laptop to desktop, as I don't need the flexibility anymore.
But right now I can't justify the cost to upgrade from my rtx2060 laptop, so it will suffice for now. And I hope it will run fs22 decent.
I ended up with a desktop with these specs:

Phanteks Eclipse P400A RGB Black
ASUS GeForce RTX3060 DUAL OC V2
Intel Core i5-11600K Prosessor, Tray
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Black, 3200MHz 16GB
Kingston NV1 NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB
ASUS ROG Strix B560-F GAMING WIFI Motherboard
Corsair TX650M, 650W PSU

Agree on getting used to FS19 on PC to get prepared for FS22. Epic games version OK compared to Steam?
Doc3d

Post by Doc3d »

I use steam, but I can’t imagine any difference except the launcher