What do you do when you get bored with a map/game?

cedricthecat

What do you do when you get bored with a map/game?

Post by cedricthecat »

I've done this countless times on FS19, with Felsbrunn, then Sussex Farms, then Oakfield, and now No Man's Land

Basically I'll try and acquire as much land as possible, sow/plant, fertilise etc, then sell the crops so I can buy more land, interspersed with looking after cows, pigs, and sheep, and ultimately when I've got all the land, find myself going round in circles tending the animals.

I guess this is the point of the game, that you've "been there and done that", and usually a fresh map helps, so you can do it all over again. I've actually mixed it up a little with No Man's Land in that I've re-visited it between the other maps, and only recently spent a large amount of time on it. I've developed about half the available land, and although the fields I've created have all got crops in, I've not harvested any yet, finding myself on the animal cycle already.

I'm going to try Glazebrook now, but thinking I might just slip back to NML...

On occasion, over the past year, I've stepped away from the game completely, but always get drawn back. I'm wondering what everyone else does - landscaping, "Let's Play" scenarios, planting every field with the same crop and making huge roadtrains before selling the crop?

Don't think I'll ever become totally disinterested in FS mind you!
Played FS2013 and FS15 on PS3
Playing FS17, FS19 and now FS22 on PS4
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
fenixguy

Re: What do you do when you get bored with a map/game?

Post by fenixguy »

I play a different game. I eventually get the itch to play more FS.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

fenixguy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:53 pm I play a different game. I eventually get the itch to play more FS.
I tried this, but the only other one I have is a Tomb Raider game - and when it required me to shoot a deer with a crossbow, which I then couldn't find to finish it off, although I could hear it screaming, I gave it up!
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
GrimGandalf

Post by GrimGandalf »

Out of curiosity how long does it take you to own the whole map? How much time do you typically spend in a game?
PS4, XBOX X & PC Video Game Farmer
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I end up setting up new stories on new farms on new maps ... and then never really playing any of them. I've got five or six in that state now.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

Make excuses to use interesting mods
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

cedricthecat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:04 pm I tried this, but the only other one I have is a Tomb Raider game - and when it required me to shoot a deer with a crossbow, which I then couldn't find to finish it off, although I could hear it screaming, I gave it up!
I think there are other games besides FS and Tomb Raider. :lol:

But specifically regarding FS, every map I play, I play it differently and use different equipment. Example: Stone Valley is a corn/soybean/sunflower/wheat farm. I use the largest equipment (mostly new stuff) and farm most of the map.

Griffin, IN is a beef farm. I make hay, chop corn for silage, and combine wheat/barley/oats to get straw. I may plant some soybeans just as a rotational crop, but I'm not going to use the same equipment as I have on other maps. On this map, I'm using smaller and older equipment (for the time being). I also may venture into dairy as I haven't done a dairy farm in FS19 yet.

If I get bored with one, I can switch to the other and have a completely different experience.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

I don't know if I'm allowed to post this but if you like farm sim, a nice break from it is to play other farming games like story of seasons where you can pick vegetables and stuff which isn't in FS
ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

I had the same problem while playing in the past. Recently, I decided to start the farm on Hard economy, no money, land or equipment then added a few house rules like no leasing of equipment for contracts or personal use and max loan 50,000 to be paid in full before you can borrow again. These two simple rules for me really slowed down progress. I use mods to fill the start up equipment gap and I use 9day seasons but this is not necessary to achieve similar goal.

I found by doing this I still get the satisfaction of tending fields with dreams of one day owning better equipment and proper farm. Its fun to really think about your next move. It may not be your cup of tea, but for me it changed how I approach the game.
Last edited by ajFarmer on Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Finding another hobby might help.
I do wood working, and sell it on FB Marketplace.
I do Android and IOS game development.
I am working on a Unity game that will hopefully be made available to all the platforms.
In between, I'll start a new FS game, cheat away all the money and start from scratch the real way.
farmer_bell

Post by farmer_bell »

If I am bored with FS, I just play a different game for a while. I have a steam library with well over 200 games, so not an issue for finding something.
For FS, I have currently running I think 6 different save games, all with different conditions. I pretty much start each map the same way. I start on new farmer and use what I am given until I can afford to upgrade/replace. I dont use the loan function unless I know there is a harvest income so I can pay it back. Before I load each map, I decide what the make of tractor and what the goal of the map is. Then I work towards that.
My main 3 saves are:
Felsbrunn, Currently at 300 hours,
Old Stream farm, approx 350 hours,
Meadow Grove, approx 300 hours.

Times are estimates as I am at work, so the actual times might be higher.

Ive got a logging save and a couple of others, but they are all only around the 100 hour mark each, which for me doesnt count as even started, but they are nice for a change of scenery.
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

GrimGandalf wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:09 pm Out of curiosity how long does it take you to own the whole map? How much time do you typically spend in a game?
That's an interesting question!

I suppose it depends on the map, but from memory, my played is Oakfield at around 500 hours. I'll have to check later :D
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

fenixguy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:32 pm I think there are other games besides FS and Tomb Raider. :lol:
This is true! But I only have FS17, FS19 and Tomb Raider for the PS4. If I did out my PS3, there also FS and a few James Bond titles, but I have to go back to my PS2 for things like Guitar Hero!
fenixguy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:32 pm But specifically regarding FS, every map I play, I play it differently and use different equipment. Example: Stone Valley is a corn/soybean/sunflower/wheat farm. I use the largest equipment (mostly new stuff) and farm most of the map.
I also like to use larger equipment, but also maps with small roads and small fields, to add to the excitement of getting the stuff to where it's going to be used!
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

ajFarmer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:57 pm I found by doing this I still get the satisfaction of tending fields with dreams of one day owning better equipment and proper farm. Its fun to really think about your next move. It may not be your cup of tea, but for me it changed how I approach the game.
That's a good point. I think that while I have an idea of my next four or five moves, and keep that same amount each time I play, then that keeps the interest in a map. The boredom thing comes when I've suddenly done everything and have to hunt round for "jobs" to do!
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

ajFarmer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:57 pm I had the same problem while playing in the past. Recently, I decided to start the farm on Hard economy, no money, land or equipment then added a few house rules like no leasing of equipment for contracts or personal use and max loan 50,000 to be paid in full before you can borrow again. These two simple rules for me really slowed down progress. I use mods to fill the start up equipment gap and I use 9day seasons but this is not necessary to achieve similar goal.
I try to set house rules, but find it hard to stick to them!

For example, "Always stick to the roads, and never drive through hedges". This never lasts long! I always find myself in a hurry and think "I'll whizz across the field just this once" and before you know it, it's all gone horribly wrong!
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net