FarmCon 21

Hoffa82

Re: FarmCon 21

Post by Hoffa82 »

Yep, one can have different opinions about how things look and what not, but the sounds.... Listen to the sounds!! That's big for me at least, I've been annoyed with the sounds since '08 :lol:

Hopefully we'll finally have a realistic sounding turbo in game.
FarmerLee73

Post by FarmerLee73 »

Feeling much more positive after Day 2. As others have said, the sounds "sound" much better, I know that this is something that was a serious issue for a lot of farmers in FS19. I don't know about the rest of you but I thought that the productions actually looked much better than what we have now. Greenhouses will now produce actual product which is also very nice.
Eische

Post by Eische »

I also really like the addition of automatic header tilt. Hope we also will have some Hillmaster/Montana machines in the game. That would be really nice on hilly maps.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

After the disappointment of Day 1 with the finding out that Seasons is max 12 days for a full year I was really gutted.
Even if you turn the parts of Seasons off that you can, visually every player is fixed into 12 game days still. It means everything is under a time limit, unless your happy harvesting with winter visuals.
Farm Sim's strength has always been allowing players to play how they want so this seems a very restrictive move. Chatting with Rahkiin I understand why they've done it as it basically makes life 100x easier for them with the game and stops people complaining they've broken there savegame, but for me personally it was still very disappointing.

That said Day 2 was a welcome reverse.

I'm purposely ignoring the over saturated colours on everything as they make me want to cry (seriously did someone accidentally hit 200% on the saturation bar) , but the gearbox, gearbox sounds, engine sounds, trailer animations, animation sounds, multiple soil states with harrow/cultivation, even having an effect on weeds, better particle animations, tilt headers were such a pleasant surprise.

Looking forward to finding out more.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

I liked the cow shed with what now looks like a dynamic fenced pen at the back so hopefully no more restrictive everything has to be flat for placement problem.
Feirmeoir Eireannach

Post by Feirmeoir Eireannach »

Sorry if this has already being mentioned, I dont have time to look at all comments or watch the vids so can anyone tell me if seasons is optional an be turned off.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Yes it is
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Feirmeoir Eireannach wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:19 am Sorry if this has already being mentioned, I dont have time to look at all comments or watch the vids so can anyone tell me if seasons is optional an be turned off.
The Seasons Crop Planner (which controls crop growing/harvesting times) can be switched off.

The Visual aspect of Seasons cannot be turned off.

That is locked to a maximum of 12 full game days per year.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

As BulletBill said earlier, it was very saturated, though hopefully that's something modders can change in the environment XML file, or ideally players can in the graphics options, that way every player could play as they want (either with more cartoony colour or more natural).

Still it looked great, far better than the recent screenshots. POM looks even better in action even with Youtube's compression, and overall the environment looks a million miles from FS19. It's not perfect (as mentioned yesterday trees are too light, especially autumn leaves and distance LODs), but it's a much bigger step forward that it appeared to be from early and most recent screenshots (the screenshots released in between I suspect are more recent that those released last week). My dreaded bloom effect appears to have been dialled back (it was still there in behind the Massey, but the sky still looked blue, so that's an improvement!).

The sounds are wonderful, at least the ones we've heard so far. Not just the John Deere 7810 engine but also the trailer sounds, and hopefully in tonight's presentation we'll experience more of the same. I guess they've purposefully focused on the older equipment to really highlight the more meaty mechanical sounds and the gearbox and it worked spectacularly well. On the very limited evidence so far FS22's sounds are as good as FS19's sounds are bad. They completely surpassed expectation.

Time will tell on the gearbox itself, but certainly on the John Deere 7810 it sounded great. Apparently each tractor has the correct gearbox set up, which I didn't think GIANTS would ever do and it's all animated in the cab too.

Great news that different cultivators now leave different soil appearance and that different straws apparently show in the soil too. We didn't see straw swaths and they were a concern a few weeks ago, but the particles from the combine looked great.

All the way through I was thinking "this is all going far too well, there must be a catch", and sure enough in the Q&A it was confirmed no MTA. While assuming that's not an issue for us PC players and it can be changed similarly to FS19, it's dreadful news for console players, especially those on new consoles which are surely capable. I understand GIANTS don't want to separate features on different console generations, but if POM is on the new gen but not on the old (which was hinted at when POM was announced) then they're going to have different features anyway.

Overall though it was a brilliant presentation (though ahem, the acting was a bit... well, don't give up the day job!) and tentatively I'll say it looks like a job done well at the moment. I'm really happy that GIANTS are listening to players and hopefully are in a position to be able to make some more tweaks before release to address what appear to be mainly niggles more than major issues now.

A big thumbs up. *thumbsup*

PS just a heads up that the combine header briefly glimpsed during the presentation appears to be a Deutz-Fahr Topliner and while there is a good one by Vector Man on the ModHub it's always great to see GIANTS own efforts on old vehicles. Credit to Jacob and BulletBill on Frontier Design's Discord for spotting that. I'm really happy to see the old Massey in too - please let there be more!

Kenny especially looked comfortable in front of the camera and speaks impeccable English with barely an accent. Should have him doing things like this more often.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I've no idea how I'm going to play on 3 day seasons, where every day is one month. I saw the transcript Rahkiin's response on Discord and it all seems to hinge around *changing* the season length. I'd guess that a lot of that complexity could be avoided by making it a starting option, like the farmer mode or which map to use.
Last edited by blue_painted on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Feirmeoir Eireannach

Post by Feirmeoir Eireannach »

BulletBill wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:09 pm
Feirmeoir Eireannach wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:19 am Sorry if this has already being mentioned, I dont have time to look at all comments or watch the vids so can anyone tell me if seasons is optional an be turned off.
The Seasons Crop Planner (which controls crop growing/harvesting times) can be switched off.

The Visual aspect of Seasons cannot be turned off.

That is locked to a maximum of 12 full game days per year.
Oh I see, seasons ain't my cup of tea so I dont know what to make of this. Lol
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Hey guys it’s ok though you can bake cakes. I guess this is where bulletbill says I told you so
FarmerLee73

Post by FarmerLee73 »

Well as I mentioned earlier, I was really happy with Day 2, the question is can Day 3 beat Day 2! I suspect we are going to be blown away by the sounds this time!
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

Mwal wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:51 pm Hey guys it’s ok though you can bake cakes. I guess this is where bulletbill says I told you so
Production chains have been one of the most requested features ever, so I know you're being sarcastic but Giants actually listened to players on that one
Deereslayer

Post by Deereslayer »

I like it so far. Production chains are nice feature. The gear shifting is huge for me. Makes it very realistic. How will hydrostatic machines like combines work though? They also have transmissions, will you be able to shift them also? And will older equipment be available, looks like it. Love the stubble behind the combine also, much more lifelike. And different tillage machines leaving different textures is how it should be and also affecting weed growth. Hopefully different planters will leave different textures too.
Only let down is the 3 day seasons. Not being able to lengthen them out for each players liking will make it loose realism. Big farms will have to turn time to 1X just to get everything done on time. I play 9 day seasons now and enjoy it owning 1/3 of a map. Its a struggle to get things harvested, hauled, sold ,and so on. Don't like how it will feel in 3 days verses 9. We'll see.