Confession regarding FS19 optimisation

this_is_gav

Confession regarding FS19 optimisation

Post by this_is_gav »

I have a confession to make. There were some reports of some with powerful systems saying they were getting sub-60fps even on base maps with no mods.

I questioned some of them assuming it was mods or a dodgy Windows install or something, while accepting there might be a glitch for a small number of users. They were 100% right.

This week I swapped out my GTX 970 for an RTX 3060 TI and initially the FPS and performance was brilliant with nearly the highest in-game settings (only AF and AA turned down to 4x as I didn't see the need in going higher) and I was getting 80-140fps using the same reference points on the same save-game, but I didn't actually play the game as such.

When it came to playing properly yesterday there are some slow noticeable slow downs (around 40fps is the lowest I've seen). Same map, mods and everything else as with the GTX 970.

You'd think that either the CPU or GPU was bottlenecking performance, yet no core or thread was working especially hard and the GPU load was only around 40-60% during those slowdowns. I tried removing the shader cache, as that could cause issues on older games, but it made no difference.

FPS was around 70-120fps with the GTX 970 as I didn't want the fan screaming at me, so the rest of the system was fine. But it seems turning up the graphics settings up on better hardware doesn't necessarily mean the game will allow you to push that hardware before the game itself starts struggling.

Meanwhile I've dropped my setting a little - still on the very high preset, but lengthened the distances a little more modestly, and am now getting 60% all of the time.

So I apologise to those I questioned. The game does indeed struggle at higher settings despite not pushing the hardware. It seems the game is optimised extremely well for lower hardware, yet won't allow you to fully exploit the performance of better hardware. Hopefully the under-the-hood changes announced for FS22 does allow us push our decent hardware a bit more in the future.
FarmBoss

Re: Confession regarding FS19 optimisation

Post by FarmBoss »

Motto: It kinda works, let's move on.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Something random: Have you tried FPS lock? I think RDAllen discovered it actually can keep FPS up sometimes a while ago.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

DEERE317 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:32 pm Something random: Have you tried FPS lock? I think RDAllen discovered it actually can keep FPS up sometimes a while ago.
Yeah I don't normally play with the FPS unlocked, I was just using it while checking why FPS was dropping so much.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Fingers crossed they have addressed this with FS22 but you know the drill by now
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

this_is_gav wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:07 pm I have a confession to make. There were some reports of some with powerful systems saying they were getting sub-60fps even on base maps with no mods.

I questioned some of them assuming it was mods or a dodgy Windows install or something, while accepting there might be a glitch for a small number of users. They were 100% right.

This week I swapped out my GTX 970 for an RTX 3060 TI and initially the FPS and performance was brilliant with nearly the highest in-game settings (only AF and AA turned down to 4x as I didn't see the need in going higher) and I was getting 80-140fps using the same reference points on the same save-game, but I didn't actually play the game as such.

When it came to playing properly yesterday there are some slow noticeable slow downs (around 40fps is the lowest I've seen). Same map, mods and everything else as with the GTX 970.

You'd think that either the CPU or GPU was bottlenecking performance, yet no core or thread was working especially hard and the GPU load was only around 40-60% during those slowdowns. I tried removing the shader cache, as that could cause issues on older games, but it made no difference.

FPS was around 70-120fps with the GTX 970 as I didn't want the fan screaming at me, so the rest of the system was fine. But it seems turning up the graphics settings up on better hardware doesn't necessarily mean the game will allow you to push that hardware before the game itself starts struggling.

Meanwhile I've dropped my setting a little - still on the very high preset, but lengthened the distances a little more modestly, and am now getting 60% all of the time.

So I apologise to those I questioned. The game does indeed struggle at higher settings despite not pushing the hardware. It seems the game is optimised extremely well for lower hardware, yet won't allow you to fully exploit the performance of better hardware. Hopefully the under-the-hood changes announced for FS22 does allow us push our decent hardware a bit more in the future.
I just got a 3070ti and I have everything maxed out on a 2560x1440 monitor @60FPS and no frame rate drops at all with 7GB of mods loaded. Even raised the foliageViewDistanceCoeff, lodDistanceCoeff and viewDistanceCoeff to 4.000000. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the actual system setup? I have a 5800x, 3070ti with 48GB 3200mhz of RAM.
the big print giveth the small print taketh