FS22 GPS

bossmanslim

FS22 GPS

Post by bossmanslim »

It appears that once again GPS won't be in the base game for Farm Sim as apparently the answer was "no" to a question about GPS in FS22. Was any reason given or has their been a reason given in the past? This is starting to get really stupid for a farm SIM game that has GPS modeled on the equipment and has been in use for nearly 30 years to not have it in the base game.
FarmBoss

Re: FS22 GPS

Post by FarmBoss »

bossmanslim wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:08 pm It appears that once again GPS won't be in the base game for Farm Sim as apparently the answer was "no" to a question about GPS in FS22. Was any reason given or has their been a reason given in the past? This is starting to get really stupid for a farm SIM game that has GPS modeled on the equipment and has been in use for nearly 30 years to not have it in the base game.
Some fans (I'm sure you'll be hearing from them shortly) make all the excuses that Giants needs not to implement it.
The biggest excuse is the lack of buttons.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Giants just said in the Q&A portion of Day 3 FarmCon that GPS was something they want to add to the game, it's on their plate of things they want to bring to the game. They just haven't got to it yet as they are working on other things first.

I just find it strange that Giants has not implemented one of the single most requested features after Seasons, to their game yet again, when it's been such a massive part of real life farming for over 30 years now, and we even operate at a time now where some vehicles and equipment in real life won't function without GPS.

I don't find the lack of buttons to be a valid excuse, as the GPS mods work fine with the buttons we have available. Also Farm Sim is one of the best games going that allows for multiple key/button keybinds. I have Wopsters GPS Mod for FS19 and all needed functions are bound perfectly fine to my PS4 Controller that I play with on PC. I certainly didn't encounter an issue with lack of buttons.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I don't understand it either.

In it's most basic form "Show me a guideline in the direction I'm facing with lines at the width of my implement and then show the next one(s) from that start point" it would seem to need possibly two commands, one to setup, one to activate and would seem to be understandable and useable by the "jump on and drive" junior tractor drivers that are the target market.

I think, in reality, it just comes down to GIANTS putting their energy into productions, revised build-mode, sound-design and so-on. Quite why they chose this priority ordering I don't know.
Last edited by blue_painted on Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

My guess is that the devs don't play with the GPS and figure that the average player will either use Helpers for that type of work or won't bother. They figure that modders will put it in fairly quickly for those who care.
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

cwattyeso wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:37 pm Giants just said in the Q&A portion of Day 3 FarmCon that GPS was something they want to add to the game, it's on their plate of things they want to bring to the game. They just haven't got to it yet as they are working on other things first.

I just find it strange that Giants has not implemented one of the single most requested features after Seasons, to their game yet again, when it's been such a massive part of real life farming for over 30 years now, and we even operate at a time now where some vehicles and equipment in real life won't function without GPS.

I don't find the lack of buttons to be a valid excuse, as the GPS mods work fine with the buttons we have available. Also Farm Sim is one of the best games going that allows for multiple key/button keybinds. I have Wopsters GPS Mod for FS19 and all needed functions are bound perfectly fine to my PS4 Controller that I play with on PC. I certainly didn't encounter an issue with lack of buttons.
I use a numeric keypad for GPS, surely they would work with consoles?
the big print giveth the small print taketh
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

bossmanslim wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:32 pm My guess is that the devs don't play with the GPS and figure that the average player will either use Helpers for that type of work or won't bother. They figure that modders will put it in fairly quickly for those who care.
Probably.
FarmBoss wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:29 pm
bossmanslim wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:08 pm It appears that once again GPS won't be in the base game for Farm Sim as apparently the answer was "no" to a question about GPS in FS22. Was any reason given or has their been a reason given in the past? This is starting to get really stupid for a farm SIM game that has GPS modeled on the equipment and has been in use for nearly 30 years to not have it in the base game.
Some fans (I'm sure you'll be hearing from them shortly) make all the excuses that Giants needs not to implement it.
The biggest excuse is the lack of buttons.
Have you tried to make GPS keybinds on a XB1 controller? I ran out of ideas/combos after using 2 unique ones for Manual Attach (well I have a 3 button key bind for GPS with one of the triggers but it works 1/4 of the time so doesn’t really help)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

DEERE317 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:29 pm Have you tried to make GPS keybinds on a XB1 controller? I ran out of ideas/combos after using 2 unique ones for Manual Attach (well I have a 3 button key bind for GPS with one of the triggers but it works 1/4 of the time so doesn’t really help)
Yes I have like I said I have all the required Keybinds for the Guidance Steering Mod mapped and bound to my Controller. Yes I have had to use a lot of 3 button keybinds for many of the functions but they all work. The actual activation and enabling/disabling the GPS I do with the simple click of the L3 button. Here's a great tip use the L2+R2 buttons as when both are held simultaneously, your vehicle won't move, so using those with then other button presses can allow you a lot of extra keybinds.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

cwattyeso wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:42 pm
DEERE317 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:29 pm Have you tried to make GPS keybinds on a XB1 controller? I ran out of ideas/combos after using 2 unique ones for Manual Attach (well I have a 3 button key bind for GPS with one of the triggers but it works 1/4 of the time so doesn’t really help)
Yes I have like I said I have all the required Keybinds for the Guidance Steering Mod mapped and bound to my Controller. Yes I have had to use a lot of 3 button keybinds for many of the functions but they all work. The actual activation and enabling/disabling the GPS I do with the simple click of the L3 button. Here's a great tip use the L2+R2 buttons as when both are held simultaneously, your vehicle won't move, so using those with then other button presses can allow you a lot of extra keybinds.
Didn’t know that, will have to keep in mind to try next time I play.
Thanks.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

bossmanslim wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:32 pm My guess is that the devs don't play with the GPS and figure that the average player will either use Helpers for that type of work or won't bother. They figure that modders will put it in fairly quickly for those who care.
I don't think that's it: On second thoughts, I think it is because the target market are the tractor drivers, there's no point it taking that away from them. If that is the reason, it could also explain the rudimentary nature of helpers and the lack of automation like CoursePlay or AutoDrive.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
JWE75

Post by JWE75 »

Well we do get a lot other new More important things, so no GPS is fine. Never really need it anyway that much. If they get it someday, fine by me and it's their game no competition and I believe they have solid reasons why no GPS....
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

I can play the game with and without GPS. Some tasks I'm very happy not to use GPS for when I'm undertaking them, there are other tasks where I feel GPS would be a great benefit to the players in game, especially with other noticeably missing aspects and stuff that Giants haven't implemented. I was watching FarmCon and my ears pricked up when in one of the Q&A sessions someone asked the question about would we get a dynamic mini-map. Of course Giants answer was no, we don't do that in our games. You can use the map in the main menu instead to see how your work on fields is progressing. However that was not quite right as we've seen with the Precision Farming Mod for FS19 that Giants can do dynamic mini-map and have included that for lime spreading, fertilising and harvesting. Therefore I find it hard to believe they couldn't extend the functionality to the other tasks like ploughing, cultivating, sowing, weeding and spraying and include it in their base game. If they partially included that function in one of their own mods why not develop it further and make it a staple of the base game?

I can't be the only player that finds when fertilising or weed spraying certain crops in game it can be incredibly hard to see where you have been on a field, with the crops growth stages and textures sometimes obscuring the soil? Therefore without GPS, you are constantly forced to keep going in and out of the main menu, to make sure you working the field properly and not missing parts of the field, which I find is much more distracting and immersion breaking for me. The alternative is to drive the field with a ridiculous amount of overlap, wasting your tools effective working width, being far less efficient and wasting product by spraying stuff you've already done.

I'm not going to get onto the topic of another farming game with a much smaller company and team of developers behind it that managed to crack and nail both the dynamic hud and GPS in their very first release.

theSeb

Post by theSeb »

At this stage there are already missing gamepad combinations for quite a lot of functions. How do consolers use crab mode for example? Are you guys able to use crab steering, crab left, crab right? None of those functions are bound by default to a controller on the PC. They really need to rethink the control inputs to give players more functionality. Maybe a circular menu that pops out when you hit a button and then you move around and select a function. Loads of games use such a scheme.

I think LB+RB+DP Down is available by default, but I use that for the lower / raise all implements. I use LB + UP to activate guidance steering. I cannot remember what that overwrote.
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

On Ps4 i believe its R1 + L3 to toggle between steering modes.
Came here for information, stayed for the entertainment.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

How about just overlaying a path on the field, that you could follow with your tractor.
When you turn around to do the next pass, the overlay moves, based on the width of your tractor and the implement you have attached. This way, your implement would always be at the edge of the previous pass, and no time or material is wasted. A two button combination should do it. For example, Left Bumper + Up.