FS22 GPS

theSeb

Re: FS22 GPS

Post by theSeb »

Yes, a game has to explicitly support it on the console, which isn't difficult, but it's a bit of extra work. But many devs don't bother because so few consolers have keyboards. Chicken and egg situation.
lonny

Post by lonny »

As a console player, no GPS (at least at release?) of FS22 was the biggest disappointment of FarmCon21! PC players do not care so much, they will just install the mod. As many wrote before me, this is default feature of real life farming, and very important one.
The argument "lack of buttons" is total BS! The basic problem is, the controller input design on console has not evolved since the PS3 version (which I recently played). eg. wheel menus would be an option. But they have decided to cling to a more than 10 year old design.
lonny

Post by lonny »

theSeb wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:14 pm Yes, a game has to explicitly support it on the console, which isn't difficult, but it's a bit of extra work. But many devs don't bother because so few consolers have keyboards. Chicken and egg situation.
Many (I would guess most) console players are playing in the living room, sitting on the couch. Using a keyboard sitting on the couch does not work very well.
Hallers

Post by Hallers »

My guesses is that the gps will be added with the Precision farming dlc. This gives Giants playroom to add it in the game when they have got all the bugs fixed and it will be a way to get more inputs in the dlc.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Hallers wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:16 am My guesses is that the gps will be added with the Precision farming dlc. This gives Giants playroom to add it in the game when they have got all the bugs fixed and it will be a way to get more inputs in the dlc.
I was thinking the same as GIANTS kept on saying "not in the base game" and it started to sound like a deliberate company line.

But then in one of the last two the FarmCon QnAs (or one of the Discord ones) I think it was Lars who said categorically something along the lines of GIANTS are not working on any form of GPS.
Hallers

Post by Hallers »

this_is_gav wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:46 am
Hallers wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:16 am My guesses is that the gps will be added with the Precision farming dlc. This gives Giants playroom to add it in the game when they have got all the bugs fixed and it will be a way to get more inputs in the dlc.
I was thinking the same as GIANTS kept on saying "not in the base game" and it started to sound like a deliberate company line.

But then in one of the last two the FarmCon QnAs (or one of the Discord ones) I think it was Lars who said categorically something along the lines of GIANTS are not working on any form of GPS.
If that is true, I must say that is pretty weird as a gps is a pretty weird as the gps is a really important tool i modern arable (precision) farming. We can only wait :hmm:
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

Hallers wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:33 pm If that is true, I must say that is pretty weird as a gps is a pretty weird as the gps is a really important tool i modern arable (precision) farming. We can only wait :hmm:
Farm Sim is not really a farm simulator, it's tractor driving game.

I don't think the average player plays long enough to get to the point where they care about GPS and even if they do, they use helpers for those actions. I played easily 200 hours without GPS and owned half the Felburnn map and didn't really have an issue. Unless using really big equipment, the player ends up spending most of their time driving trucks where GPS isn't needed.

According to howlongis, the median player plays 174 hours and even those with negative reviews play about 77 hours. Mudrunner by contrast is a median of 31 hours and Farm Sim 17 is 114 hours.
HedCase

Post by HedCase »

lonny wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:56 pm
theSeb wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:14 pm Yes, a game has to explicitly support it on the console, which isn't difficult, but it's a bit of extra work. But many devs don't bother because so few consolers have keyboards. Chicken and egg situation.
Many (I would guess most) console players are playing in the living room, sitting on the couch. Using a keyboard sitting on the couch does not work very well.
I guess it depends on how much of a gamer you are. I have a lap table thingy that I put my keyboard and mouse on whilst playing my Xbox series X. The problem, as you said, is that devs rarely bother to support it, which is a crying shame. TBH I don't use the mouse much but I always use the keyboard in games that support it.

MSFS2020 on series X is playable without mouse and keyboard.....just about :mrgreen:
crash

Post by crash »

PS4 has crab steering on R1+R3
I did manage to set up the basic controls on my PS4 controller for GPS on pc without loosing anything I think(I've been playing on PS4 lately) On/off(like turning on standby) automatic width, a-b line and turning it back on after turning on the headland. Think I used L1+R1+R3/L3 and R1+L1+right/left maybe, don't quite remember. My thought progress was simple, when in the tractor with the seeder/planter, look on the info display in the left top corner and press R1, then L1, and both at the end. When both where pressed there is just Cruise control on/off @O, speed up/down @left stick up/down and radio on/off @d pad up. So R3/L3/dpad left/right is free to use. If did play more on pc I think I would have looked into a stream deck or some external NUM pad for GPS controls, just to get away from the full keyboard for simplicity.

As for GPS on base game fs22. I think the will add it with precision farming to attach it to a brand name. GPS isent a name per say. John deeres autotrac is sold to be mounted on any tractors, on the other hand it's highly unlikely that case would accept a starfire globe on the tractors in game :lol:

And I think many players would be happy with a any direction free worker kind of deal. Turn worker on, it stays on that line, start to turn on headland, and it turns off, turn it back on after the headland turn and it recognises the last pass and stays parralell to that.. Just need to make it work 360degrees, recognise the tool witdth and the last pass, and make it free to use :mrgreen:
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
ED209v2

Post by ED209v2 »

bossmanslim wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:52 pm

I don't think the average player plays long enough to get to the point where they care about GPS and even if they do, they use helpers for those actions. I played easily 200 hours without GPS and owned half the Felburnn map and didn't really have an issue. Unless using really big equipment, the player ends up spending most of their time driving trucks where GPS isn't needed.

According to howlongis, the median player plays 174 hours and even those with negative reviews play about 77 hours. Mudrunner by contrast is a median of 31 hours and Farm Sim 17 is 114 hours.
I must be a very weird player then.
GPS is usually the very first thing I buy. Mostly for spraying and fertilizing.
Trucks I rarely use. I don't even remember the last time that I owned a truck in-game. Wouldn't surprise me that it is 2 years ago.

But then again I am on PC and use courseplay to transport large quantities of goods.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

ED209v2 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:42 pm
bossmanslim wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:52 pm

I must be a very weird player then.
GPS is usually the very first thing I buy. Mostly for spraying and fertilizing.
Trucks I rarely use. I don't even remember the last time that I owned a truck in-game. Wouldn't surprise me that it is 2 years ago.

But then again I am on PC and use courseplay to transport large quantities of goods.
If you are weird then so am I. I tend to buy GPS for my larger farms, relying on optimism and guesswork on the small and old kit farms and being on PC I use Courseplay and AutoDrive a lot.

It occurs to me that "truck" might mean the Lizard pickup, or the Land Rover, rather than truck that I would call a lorry: pretty much every map I've seen starts you with one or other.
Last edited by blue_painted on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

I don't use Courseplay, nor Auto Drive. I rarely hire workers. The only time I hire workers is to run a forage harvester or the sugarcane harvesters. I start small and work up to the larger vehicles over time. The older vehicles I don't buy GPS for. But, if the tractor or combine has the GPS Screen I do buy it and yes I use it. I love it, saves time and saves money on fertilizer.
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
Joepipefitter

Post by Joepipefitter »

I don’t know why this is such an issue for giants. The mini map already shows direction of travel and a coordinate system. How hard would it be to make that usable just as the helper uses it.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Technically it's not hard. But, if you look at all of the previous releases, Giants historically shies away from implementing anything they deem as "too difficult for the player base to understand" or "things the player base probably does not really want, apart from a vocal minority on the forums".
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

theSeb wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:29 pm Technically it's not hard. But, if you look at all of the previous releases, Giants historically shies away from implementing anything they deem as "too difficult for the player base to understand" or "things the player base probably does not really want, apart from a vocal minority on the forums".
Where did those quotes come from? I don't remember seeing them anywhere.

The first quote is basically calling the player base dumb.
The second quote looks like a guess, and a convenient excuse. I guess the player base doesn't want it because they're not all on the forum asking for it