Farm Simulator 2022 Dedicated Server question ?

MountainDue

Farm Simulator 2022 Dedicated Server question ?

Post by MountainDue »

I just preordered the game, one for me and one for the wife. I also run a dedicated server here at my house. FS19 you need another game for the server. Will I need another copy of FS2022 to have a dedicated server? Thanks
MagicBoy

Re: Farm Simulator 2022 Dedicated Server question ?

Post by MagicBoy »

Yes, you will.
enigmqtik

Post by enigmqtik »

I guess yes too, but I would like a change about this.

Of what I know they are the only one who required a additional license to run a dedicated server. And you also need to pay again for the dlc to be played on the dedicated server. Seriously who does that apart Giants ?

I think it's related to the different severs providers. I mean, this way they don't need to provide a lot of support towards people running their own servers, as they are a few. And due to the limitations of running a server correctly, it's easier this way.

But at least, for the dedicated server do something in the good way.
Example : Yes we pay a fee for running a dedicated server, but not at full price, and with all the future DLC available for no additional charge.

As a dedicated server hoster, we only want to promote the game and have fun with it. Please don't burn our wallets !

Cheers !
AMD R9 5900x (@4.9GHz) + NHD15, 32GB DDR4 G.SKill Ripjaws 3600 CL16, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3070 OC, nVme 980Pro 1To, Seasonic 850Gold in a Corsair 900D.
T500RS, CSPV3, TH8A +SKRS Shifter, 2x T16000M.FCS, DelanClip IR tracker, SimDashBoard, Sony Bravia 42"
MountainDue

Post by MountainDue »

MagicBoy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:28 pm Yes, you will.
Thanks, I will get my hard copy pre-ordered from BestBuy as well for the server, I know better than to try and run a dedicated server using a Steam copy or an Epic Games copy.
MountainDue

Post by MountainDue »

enigmqtik wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:05 pm I guess yes too, but I would like a change about this.

Of what I know they are the only one who required a additional license to run a dedicated server. And you also need to pay again for the dlc to be played on the dedicated server. Seriously who does that apart Giants ?

I think it's related to the different severs providers. I mean, this way they don't need to provide a lot of support towards people running their own servers, as they are a few. And due to the limitations of running a server correctly, it's easier this way.

But at least, for the dedicated server do something in the good way.
Example : Yes we pay a fee for running a dedicated server, but not at full price, and with all the future DLC available for no additional charge.

As a dedicated server hoster, we only want to promote the game and have fun with it. Please don't burn our wallets !

Cheers !
I have thought long and hard on this one and I see why Giants does it this way. I don't mind paying for another copy of the game to run a dedicated server as for if not I would have to pay a server hosting company. I really enjoy having the option to run my own server even if I have to pay out the extra money for another game. Now the DLC's are another story, Im with you 100% on this one. I think the reason why Giants make us pay again is for the simple fact that it would be so easy to grab the DLC's from the dedicated server and give them away.
MountainDue

Post by MountainDue »

There is a collectors edition available so I preordered it :coolnew: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/farming-si ... Id=6473244
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

enigmqtik, most games these days don't actually offer you to run dedicated servers on your own at all. So there is not many to compare us with.

As for the initial question, yes you will still have to buy a second copy of the game to run a dedicated server.
The main reason for this is to prevent any pirating for the non-dedicated server too. We can and most probably will never be able to completely prevent pirating in single player, but so far multiplayer does not work with a pirated copy. If we would add a "short cut" option for the dedicated server so that no separate license would be required, this would be way too easy to abuse for a regular game too, since the multiplayer can not really differentiate between a dedicated server and a regular game.

Also self hosted dedicated servers are relatively rare. Most people are using a rented dedicated server, which does not have this issue. So I hope you can understand, that we don't want to risk the eco system for just a few people.
enigmqtik

Post by enigmqtik »

Stegei wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:11 am enigmqtik, most games these days don't actually offer you to run dedicated servers on your own at all. So there is not many to compare us with.

As for the initial question, yes you will still have to buy a second copy of the game to run a dedicated server.
The main reason for this is to prevent any pirating for the non-dedicated server too. We can and most probably will never be able to completely prevent pirating in single player, but so far multiplayer does not work with a pirated copy. If we would add a "short cut" option for the dedicated server so that no separate license would be required, this would be way too easy to abuse for a regular game too, since the multiplayer can not really differentiate between a dedicated server and a regular game.

Also self hosted dedicated servers are relatively rare. Most people are using a rented dedicated server, which does not have this issue. So I hope you can understand, that we don't want to risk the eco system for just a few people.
Hello,

Thank you for that clear answer, and I understand easily why.
You're right too about other companies acting this way today.

As a former Lan organizer (mostly fps games, CS, UT, yep the old ones), the ancient era was amazing as we could gather ppl easily, running LAN servers in few clicks.

Now we mostly all need internet even for LAN event.

I remember when COD went from dedicated servers to P2P matchmaking, was the start of those big changes.

About piracy I won't talk about it here, as (I think) you know well how it works.

As a grown man, I'll keep doing it the right way, and support developpers the most I could > paying those licenses.

Coming to my mind, is there a way to separate those licenses ? One for the gamers, One for the hosters ? Like a bit cheaper bundle to host dedicated server with all the dlc available without the whole game, only the console, but won't be able to play. I guess you see what I have in mind.

Have a good day ! :hi:
AMD R9 5900x (@4.9GHz) + NHD15, 32GB DDR4 G.SKill Ripjaws 3600 CL16, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3070 OC, nVme 980Pro 1To, Seasonic 850Gold in a Corsair 900D.
T500RS, CSPV3, TH8A +SKRS Shifter, 2x T16000M.FCS, DelanClip IR tracker, SimDashBoard, Sony Bravia 42"
nem

Post by nem »

Stegei wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:11 am enigmqtik, most games these days don't actually offer you to run dedicated servers on your own at all. So there is not many to compare us with.

Sorry but this answer doesnt cut it.
There are a lot of games out there today that lets you run dedicated servers. Comparable games like factorio, satisfactory etc. where there is a persistent world, and people join/leave at whim.

And you base the need for an extra game license on preventing pirating.. This is not the customers responsibility, there are ways to mitigate the loss of revenue to this. Besides, i refuse to believe that piracy is a huge problem for a niche game like this.
I guess, if you do the famous "Oh, there are 750000 downloads of this torrent, that means we have lost revenue for 750000 game licenses" logic, then yeah. But thats not how the world works. The majority of the players of these niche games will buy the game outright. The majority of the pirates will either never play the game, or they will use the pirated version as a sort of demo. In most cases, they would NEVER buy the game, so there really is no huge loss of revenue.

You COULD let us run a dedicated server through steam, which would authenticate through the steam API. And still allow us to run the game as well. Im not a game dev, i dont know the specific solutions. But i indirectly pay YOU to know how to solve this, through my purchase of your games.

Please reconsider this, if not for FS22, then for later instalments in the series.
grmose

Post by grmose »

Or, do "like most games nowadays" did back then and create a server "service". See Factorio, you pay for the game but the server version is ran on a basic executable through CLI. This is how most servers were ran when this post was made and now (2021). The fact that Giants software refuses to do this and uses "piracy" as an excuse is deplorable and only another excuse to take more of their consumers money. There is no piracy concerns if you build a CLI deployed server that is merely a host, not "server modified EXE built on the original game".

Poor programming architecture from a company that's been developing games since 2008 and specifically farming sim since 2012. Times change and sometimes so should your perspective.

Sincerely,

Someone who built a full game alone in 2 years with a dedicated server service.
joshmiller83

Post by joshmiller83 »

I CALL BULL stuff! This is about selling copies! This niche of a game means very little piracy. Just as Apple doesn't get viruses because of the market share of IOS to all other devices, the same is here. This game would NOT get pirated that badly as there isn't a HUGE demand for it. This is a cover for corporate GREED! And I am sorry, HOW DO YOU KNOW that "MOST" people rent servers? That isn't even something you can legally track!
Playing on PC the only system there is!
daterxies

Post by daterxies »

Thats bogus. You say its rare?? Its very, Very common and this is one of the few games that does this. It's all about selling extra copies and makes giants look extra greedy and not for the fan base at all. Reward your community and do like any other dev out there and offer the server without buying an extra copy. The games going to be pirated regardless, this makes no difference.

Some Very popular games that offer free server tools:
Valheim
Astroneer
Teraria
Ark
The Forest
Squad
Arma
Space Engineers
7 Days to Die
DayZ
Satisfactory
Factorio
Conan Exiles
Unturned

Perhaps you should contact some of these dev's and see how they manage to have a successful studio since all the pirates are using their server tools to play the game. Infact if you are so worried about pirating the new price tag is the biggest thing thats going to commit people to do it. With that new price tag should come the free server.
joshmiller83

Post by joshmiller83 »

I don't even know why we are trying... it's NOT like Giants actually listens to their community!

I mean this should be a easy fix, they are self publishing for the first time...
Playing on PC the only system there is!
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

joshmiller83 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:07 am I don't even know why we are trying... it's NOT like Giants actually listens to their community!

I mean this should be a easy fix, they are self publishing for the first time...
They may not on this situation but on other stuff they have. The added different day length to seasons, changed some graphics, etc. There is proof they have listened to some ideas on the past.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Dezza69

Post by Dezza69 »

I really don't wanna pay (again) for 3 licences to play using my own, privately-lan'd and not interested in other players "dedicated server".

I enjoy having a map running continually on my lan-server which runs 24/7 and I can just "heading down the farm" to farm when I feel like it, or have a quick squiz through the TV device using Steam Remote Play ... That's how I enjoy to play.

Two licences for me to play like this using two systems at the same time is fair, but paying for an extra licence requirement and for each DLC for the private-lan dedicated server is - in my honest opinion - just a money grab.

Perhaps Giants would be kind enough to allow the dedicated server to function solely on the local lan if/when the internet goes down too...

"we don't want to risk the eco system for just a few people"
--- what on Earth happened to the customer is always correct? :lol: :lol: :lol: </sarcasm>