Farm Simulator 2022 Dedicated Server question ?

Errkan

Re: Farm Simulator 2022 Dedicated Server question ?

Post by Errkan »

I cant create a server for me and my brother to play on, it just says it cant connect
Recurve5

Post by Recurve5 »

Stegei wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:11 am enigmqtik, most games these days don't actually offer you to run dedicated servers on your own at all. So there is not many to compare us with.

As for the initial question, yes you will still have to buy a second copy of the game to run a dedicated server.
The main reason for this is to prevent any pirating for the non-dedicated server too. We can and most probably will never be able to completely prevent pirating in single player, but so far multiplayer does not work with a pirated copy. If we would add a "short cut" option for the dedicated server so that no separate license would be required, this would be way too easy to abuse for a regular game too, since the multiplayer can not really differentiate between a dedicated server and a regular game.

Also self hosted dedicated servers are relatively rare. Most people are using a rented dedicated server, which does not have this issue. So I hope you can understand, that we don't want to risk the eco system for just a few people.
Most games these days don't offer you to run a dedicated server? This simply isn't true. I run a dedicated Valheim server (using a Ubuntu Linux VM btw) and I didn't have to pay an extra dime for it. It doesn't allow me to play the game without a copy, it simply runs a multiplayer server. There are even games on Steam that allow you to download the dedicated server THROUGH STEAM. I still play Valheim using the copy I paid for, but my friends and I connect to my server that is running 24/7.

To be honest, this seems more like a lack of knowledge within Giants on how to actually set up the software to run a dedicated server than anything else, AKA, the lazy answer.
Recurve5

Post by Recurve5 »

grmose wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:25 pm Or, do "like most games nowadays" did back then and create a server "service". See Factorio, you pay for the game but the server version is ran on a basic executable through CLI. This is how most servers were ran when this post was made and now (2021). The fact that Giants software refuses to do this and uses "piracy" as an excuse is deplorable and only another excuse to take more of their consumers money. There is no piracy concerns if you build a CLI deployed server that is merely a host, not "server modified EXE built on the original game".

Poor programming architecture from a company that's been developing games since 2008 and specifically farming sim since 2012. Times change and sometimes so should your perspective.

Sincerely,

Someone who built a full game alone in 2 years with a dedicated server service.
This is exactly what I wanted to say and more. There are PLENTY of games that allow you to run your own dedicated server. IMHO, it sounds like they don't have the knowledge to set it up and refuse to attain that knowledge. It's easier to just take our money, and keep using the same graphics engine they've been using for the last decade with some minor changes. It's deplorable.
enigmqtik

Post by enigmqtik »

Recurve5 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 pm
Stegei wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:11 am enigmqtik, most games these days don't actually offer you to run dedicated servers on your own at all. So there is not many to compare us with.

As for the initial question, yes you will still have to buy a second copy of the game to run a dedicated server.
The main reason for this is to prevent any pirating for the non-dedicated server too. We can and most probably will never be able to completely prevent pirating in single player, but so far multiplayer does not work with a pirated copy. If we would add a "short cut" option for the dedicated server so that no separate license would be required, this would be way too easy to abuse for a regular game too, since the multiplayer can not really differentiate between a dedicated server and a regular game.

Also self hosted dedicated servers are relatively rare. Most people are using a rented dedicated server, which does not have this issue. So I hope you can understand, that we don't want to risk the eco system for just a few people.
Most games these days don't offer you to run a dedicated server? This simply isn't true. I run a dedicated Valheim server (using a Ubuntu Linux VM btw) and I didn't have to pay an extra dime for it. It doesn't allow me to play the game without a copy, it simply runs a multiplayer server. There are even games on Steam that allow you to download the dedicated server THROUGH STEAM. I still play Valheim using the copy I paid for, but my friends and I connect to my server that is running 24/7.

To be honest, this seems more like a lack of knowledge within Giants on how to actually set up the software to run a dedicated server than anything else, AKA, the lazy answer.
And this, sorry to say that but it's a joke.

Anyway, I bought the new edition through steam for my own use, and get a second copy through giants site to run a dedi again.
As a grown man I can afford it today, but when I was 15 and runnings CS1.6 servers, I would have lawn a lot of lands to buy dedicated servers copies...
Joke aside, happy farming ! :hi:
AMD R9 5900x (@4.9GHz) + NHD15, 32GB DDR4 G.SKill Ripjaws 3600 CL16, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3070 OC, nVme 980Pro 1To, Seasonic 850Gold in a Corsair 900D.
T500RS, CSPV3, TH8A +SKRS Shifter, 2x T16000M.FCS, DelanClip IR tracker, SimDashBoard, Sony Bravia 42"
nem

Post by nem »

enigmqtik wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:30 pm
Recurve5 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 pm

And this, sorry to say that but it's a joke.

Anyway, I bought the new edition through steam for my own use, and get a second copy through giants site to run a dedi again.
As a grown man I can afford it today, but when I was 15 and runnings CS1.6 servers, I would have lawn a lot of lands to buy dedicated servers copies...
Joke aside, happy farming ! :hi:
For me it's not about the money, it is principle. Im an adult, I own my own house and car, but I don't like feeling ripped off because Giants want to earn a few extra euros.
Gormett

Post by Gormett »

Well, so much for the "multiplayer does not work with a pirated copy" excuse.
Pirates have the full working game including multiplayer, but when a paying customer wants his own private dedicated server, he has to pay twice, isn't it great ?

Edit: The pirated version also includes all DLC (including preorder) and the dedicated server launcher

(Pic taken today)
Novtalath

Post by Novtalath »

(...)

What a load of BS to both of these. Under which rock you guys have been living for the last few years?
There are plethora of multiplayer games that offer dedicated servers and the amount of people hosting their own games are insane.
Actually - I feel offended now. You guys assume people are morons that can't read? Or don't play other games but FS series? Steam itself offer an option download dedicated server to hundreds of games. And when you go to 'look for server' in any of those games - the number of servers there is in hundreds if not thousands.

I myself host servers for Minecraft, Empyrion, ARK, 7DTD and plenty more. I do that of my own blade server I have (not a rented space somewhere). But that's me. I know of tenths of people that run dedicated servers on their own PCs and host the games between friends.

Saying that you want people to buy a copy of a WORKING GAME to run a server to "PREVENT PIRACY" is another BS. It's pure asking people to buy another copy of the game just for the sake of it. "Prevent Piracy" - like there was no tools there to do EXACTLY that.

I could understand you guys would ask money for dedicated server solution. but not a full price of the game... Make it 30% of the price. - not like someone can actually play using the dedicated copy. And most of all - please have some respect to your customers (we - players ARE your customers - we bought your product).
JustAnotherUser

Post by JustAnotherUser »

Frankly I find this Unacceptable, There is no reason that the server cant be a separate instance, or at the very least pull from the same license without consuming it because YOU CANT PLAY THE GAME WITHOUT THE CLIENT RUNNINT AS WELL!!! This move is nothing more then a blatant money grab.

As far as "self hosted dedicated servers are relatively rare", hmm I wonder why? Have you ever stopped to consider that most people thinking about running a dedicated server will see the need for a second license of the game and ALL DLC and just be like "there's no way that I would do that" and get a rented server. To which your game pushes several providers where I am sure your not getting a cut of that rental fee. Just another money grab, totally unacceptable!
BIGJACKS

Post by BIGJACKS »

Can someone help me please, on my dedicated sever the fields are growing properly. One of my admins has changed the days per month to get snow when it was set to 1 day per month. Now its going through all 28 days when the settings are changed back to 1 day and the fields aren't growing as quickly. Can someone help me please