FS 22 is too colorful. Change my mind.

Luftkopf

Re: FS 22 is too colorful. Change my mind.

Post by Luftkopf »

Mwal wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:02 am
Luftkopf wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:24 am I'm sure nVidia is the same, but ATI drivers let you adjust colours per game. Just desaturate it a little bit. Or a lot, if you have something against colour. Done.
That only solves the problem for half the players
Oh yeah, consoles. Whoops, my bad.

It's been a while since I owned a console. My 360 broke years ago, around when the small 360 came out, and I never bothered replacing or upgrading it, so I tend to forget to account for them.
trogladitez

Post by trogladitez »

Drmattymd wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:22 pm
trogladitez wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:40 pm Ah, I see. At least in the baling video the field texture is closer to the colour of a real one after harvest although the windrows still look a bit daft being so light in comparison. Crop, field and windrow should be the same colour Giants, get with the program.
DIsagree. Standing crop will often look a different color than the windrow and or the stubble. Everything reflects light/color differently. For example, if you drill a new crop into wheat stubble, one pass will look bright and golden and the next pass will look dark
You're probably right, but not to the same degree seen in the screenshot.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Some thoughts that the American map (Elmcreek) might 'just' be using different lighting and environment settings to the French map (Haut Beyleron). If that is the case rather than being some features and settings being hard-coded into the game engine since FarmCon then it won't be so bad. Elmcreek's lighting was a long way from good (still far too saturated with trees especially too bright), but it was a heck of a lot better than the footage from the last couple of days.

If we can continue to tweak that further, adjust the foliage and trees and it helps the plastic-wrapped vehicles too, then I think it can be rescued.

You've got to wonder about the decisions made by those who are coordinating the graphics, environment and maps though. Plus whoever thought it was a good idea to choose what is surely an unfinished and bland map for one of the most important marketing videos for the game.

I do feel sorry for Chaki, Lisertan and Kerminator especially though. Part of their job is to feedback to those developing the game and the last couple of days must have been a nightmare. Similarly with the more constructive ambassadors.
ChiefContractor

Post by ChiefContractor »

The pic there with the massey baler, see how theres barely any straw coming out of the combine? Usually in real life thered be nearly 4 times the amount
Hello! I'm a PC gamer now! Care to join my server for Realistic and Fun Farming simulator 19 multiplayer?
If so, click here -> https://discord.gg/KnEzWm32tF
ultimate34

Post by ultimate34 »

The picture with baler is the best example of what I'm talking about.
FS 19 made light reflecting differently from different surfaces, so metal finally looked like metal. In FS 22 the plastic-looking returns, photorealistic graphics seems to no longer be what they are aiming for.
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

Check out north simulation facebook page. He has shaders (private though) that make fs19 look 100x times better than any fs22 picture or video.if we get good shaders for the new game like KMN shaders that are public for fs19 i think we are good. However that does not excuse GIANTS and their way of handling fs22 graphics
Eische

Post by Eische »

In a recent interview Lisertan confirmed that lighting/colors or overall visual appearance is not yet finalized.
He mentioned that this is one of the last steps during development.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Eische wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:39 pm In a recent interview Lisertan confirmed that lighting/colors or overall visual appearance is not yet finalized.
That doesn't make sense to me. To get pre-orders, I'd want the game to look as good as possible when I showcase it.
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

This reminds me a bit of when 19 came out I was comparing Felsbrunn to Simpsons Springfield, but once the mod maps starting coming out 19 looked amazing so hopefully 22 will be the same
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

njuska11 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:16 am Check out north simulation facebook page. He has shaders (private though) that make fs19 look 100x times better than any fs22 picture or video.if we get good shaders for the new game like KMN shaders that are public for fs19 i think we are good. However that does not excuse GIANTS and their way of handling fs22 graphics
This will only work for the PC players though, shaders aren't an option on console
Eische wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:39 pm In a recent interview Lisertan confirmed that lighting/colors or overall visual appearance is not yet finalized.
That is good to know. They already have some nice graphical touches that I noticed in the GamesCom stream
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Jagtractor

Post by Jagtractor »

I found they did the same thing between 17 and 19. They upped the contrast instead of relying on just the better detail, thus hiding the new detail. Just looking at the last picture. I can barely see the detail in that bailer. Just a wash of red color. And have a tendency to make the shadows too strong in my option. It gives everything a cartoony look and the proof is in the pudding. Maybe it's the blacks? Black is EXTREMELY reflective. Plastic black isn't (once it's aged) but metalic black is. I have never been able to put my finger on what seems off about their style of graphic/coloring, I am not sure what exactly they are doing with the color in these newer games but it's just a continuation of what they seem to do.
PC and PS4 Pro
been playing on pc lately.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Colour and light are such hard things to get right in a video game.

I am not one personally for the over saturated look present in some of the Fs19 pics and now in Fs22, purely for the reason it makes the game look very cartoonish and gimmicky which is not the style of environment I want to play in.

That said getting the balance right is extremely difficult, because trying to replicate RL colours ingame where the lighting doesn't adapt the same as in RL is very time consuming.

For example colour pigment saturation changes depending on light angle, and distance. Up close more vibrant, further away less vibrant.

A trend with GIANTS at the moment is to make the trees very bright and over saturated, including on the distance LOD model as well. This has the effect of drawing your eye to it and not in a good way as it doesn't blend.

Simply darkening the texture and if need be dropping the saturation level has a huge effect and changes the game from looking like a cartoon game to more of a real world simulator.

I would love to chat with the ones in charge of the visuals at GIANTS just to know there processes they used to choose the current colour scheme.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

As for the tread title. Nope, no way. It's your mind, not going to mess with that.

(And, why should we even try to change your mind? Thank God we all have a different taste. The world would be rather dull and boring if we didn't......)

As usual, I'll hold my judgment til release
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

What I find quite interesting is if Giants said here's the first screen shots of Farming Simulator 22 check them out. And showed you these shots....

.....I can guarantee you that pretty much everyone would be 'wow, it looks so great! What an improvement over FS-19.'

Except of course these aren't new screen shots of FS-22. They're screen shots of OxygenDavid's upcoming Calmsden Farm map.
So the question really is why can OxygenDavid get FS-19 looking so great with just a bit of fine tuning and Giants, with all their resources, can't?

Its a bit of a mystery. I know Calmsden Farm has a custom static sky box. Which personally I think looks way better than the Simpsons cartoon skybox FS-22 has. I'd much much rather have a great looking static sky box than a bad and overly stylised dynamic one.

That aside though, since we're talking about colour saturation here. OxygenDavid gets really lovely looking soft naturalistic colours. I presume someone somewhere at Giants actively doesn't want the sim to look like this. All I can say is they're making a huge artistic misjudgement.
Eische

Post by Eische »

Taste is different.
Giants sets the color/lighting to aim at the largest player group I would guess.
Maybe they could provide 3 predefined settings accessible through the menu?
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker