FS 22 is too colorful. Change my mind.

this_is_gav

Re: FS 22 is too colorful. Change my mind.

Post by this_is_gav »

Miketeg wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:39 pm I agreed that those colors tones are way off and are more on the Arcade side. I would prefer by far to have something less reflective!
They're not even 'arcade', they're just weird. I sometimes said FS19 was very post-apocalyptic in graphical style in that the sky was often way over-blown and the environment style often had over-exposed highlights and under-exposed shadows, to the point where both highlights and shadows lost a lot of detail, which takes some doing.

I'm not even sure what sort of game or genre FS22's GamesCom footage could best be compared to. A Lego game perhaps, in terms of massively over-saturated, vibrant and crushed colours? The little MF baler was almost like it was plastic-wrapped and from the video snippets you could imagine it glowing in the dark.

While also having white-sky-syndrome and a far too over the top moon glow for some reason (yes light bouncing off the moon can provide some light, but FS22's approach appears to be a massive ball in the sky that lights up everything around it).
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

That might be an overcorrection to a lot of people complaining it was too dark to work at night.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Whats more stupid...

Complaining the night is too dark.... or..

Listening to those people... :lol:
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

BulletBill wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:07 pm Whats more stupid...

Complaining the night is too dark.... or..

Listening to those people... :lol:
Complaining the night is too dark is like wishing the moon didn't cause the tides :lol:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
johnlinden

Post by johnlinden »

Giants, 49 posts of players not happy with colors in the game, you got your ears on Giants?
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

johnlinden wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:39 am Giants, 49 posts of players not happy with colors in the game, you got your ears on Giants?
Not just here. The Youtube and Twitter comments were 90% along the same lines (environment and graphics criticism).

This was a bespoke build for GamesCom, which removed certain features (eg hired helper); one GIANTS used for their own stream and the streams released yesterday by some invited to Erlangen.

Chris has said that the environment is one of the last things to get done though, and certainly before GamesCom they were taking and acting on feedback. Hopefully they still are.

It still doesn't make sense to me that a bare and hopefully unfinished map and perhaps older or less polished build would be used for the GamesCom video trailer itself, compared to the FarmCon build that was much more well rounded (though still needed some saturation and brightness tweaks).
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

It makes sense that there's a lot of fine tuning going on right up to the last minute but it definitely seems strange to me that they force themselves into a position that they're promoting a version of the game that has bad colours and lighting. Again, it just seems odd that Giants sensibilities for the colour and lighting ratios should be so obviously out of step with the majority of the community, who are clearly needing to tell them to change it.

The majority of people do want to play a naturalistic looking game.
JWE75

Post by JWE75 »

Dont worry, Polish mod maps Will Make colors and Maps better every way 😉
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

I just hope that this too bright color are not needed for a good immersion with parralex visual...

That's what i'm fear about and what can explain why they are using so bright color in their gameplay trailer / game.
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Miketeg wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:42 pm I just hope that this too bright color are not needed for a good immersion with parralex visual...

That's what i'm fear about and what can explain why they are using so bright color in their gameplay trailer / game.
The colour palette has nothing to do with Parallax Occlusion Mapping. So nothing to worry about.

Think of POM as a more extreme Normal bump map texture, simply put.
chedly_farms wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:43 pm I’ve mentioned having options for a plethora of play styles before. Be it equipment, fuel usage, warning signs. Honestly more options for more play styles is always a good thing. But then when custom maps roll in and those settings then mess with maps, then what. I guess map makers could specify what settings to use for what maps. Who knows.
You'll pleased to know it was spotted in one of the GamesCon streams that you can adjust fuel usage in Fs22.
Last edited by BulletBill on Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Speaking of which, this is POM soil, cropped from the Zetor/Elho stone picking screenshot:

Feel free to zoom in on that.
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

Mobias wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:32 pm What I find quite interesting is if Giants said here's the first screen shots of Farming Simulator 22 check them out. And showed you these shots....

.....I can guarantee you that pretty much everyone would be 'wow, it looks so great! What an improvement over FS-19.'

Except of course these aren't new screen shots of FS-22. They're screen shots of OxygenDavid's upcoming Calmsden Farm map.
So the question really is why can OxygenDavid get FS-19 looking so great with just a bit of fine tuning and Giants, with all their resources, can't?

Its a bit of a mystery. I know Calmsden Farm has a custom static sky box. Which personally I think looks way better than the Simpsons cartoon skybox FS-22 has. I'd much much rather have a great looking static sky box than a bad and overly stylised dynamic one.

That aside though, since we're talking about colour saturation here. OxygenDavid gets really lovely looking soft naturalistic colours. I presume someone somewhere at Giants actively doesn't want the sim to look like this. All I can say is they're making a huge artistic misjudgement.
That looks so much better. Giants really needs to pay attention to what this guy is doing.
trogladitez

Post by trogladitez »

It's pretty odd looking when you zoom in on it. Like the textures are being overstretched or something.
(Replying to gav)
trogladitez

Post by trogladitez »

BulletBill wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:43 pm
Miketeg wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:42 pm I just hope that this too bright color are not needed for a good immersion with parralex visual...

The colour palette has nothing to do with Parallax Occlusion Mapping. So nothing to worry about.

Think of POM as a more extreme Normal bump map texture, simply put.
chedly_farms wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:43 pm I’ve mentioned having options for a plethora of play styles before. Be it equipment, fuel usage, warning signs. Honestly more options for more play styles is always a good thing. But then when custom maps roll in and those settings then mess with maps, then what. I guess map makers could specify what settings to use for what maps. Who knows.
You'll pleased to know it was spotted in one of the GamesCon streams that you can adjust fuel usage in Fs22.
I'm not clued in on this type of thing but will modders be using pom textures in their maps?
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Modders can already use it in Fs19 on models. Oxygendavid has already implemented it on his Calmsden map and his new Court Farm map.

However the difference in Fs22 is this is being applied to the terrainDetail layer (soil states) as well.

The downside is if it's over done it will look streched like in the picture posted above by "this_is_gav".

But if you get the balance done right it takes a flat object and tricks you into thinking it's almost 3D with none of the performance drawbacks of full 3D.