FS 22 is too colorful. Change my mind.

ultimate34

Re: FS 22 is too colorful. Change my mind.

Post by ultimate34 »

Mobias wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:32 pm What I find quite interesting is if Giants said here's the first screen shots of Farming Simulator 22 check them out. And showed you these shots....

.....I can guarantee you that pretty much everyone would be 'wow, it looks so great! What an improvement over FS-19.'

Except of course these aren't new screen shots of FS-22. They're screen shots of OxygenDavid's upcoming Calmsden Farm map.
So the question really is why can OxygenDavid get FS-19 looking so great with just a bit of fine tuning and Giants, with all their resources, can't?

Its a bit of a mystery. I know Calmsden Farm has a custom static sky box. Which personally I think looks way better than the Simpsons cartoon skybox FS-22 has. I'd much much rather have a great looking static sky box than a bad and overly stylised dynamic one.

That aside though, since we're talking about colour saturation here. OxygenDavid gets really lovely looking soft naturalistic colours. I presume someone somewhere at Giants actively doesn't want the sim to look like this. All I can say is they're making a huge artistic misjudgement.
This show how powerful lightning and saturation is. It looks better than FS 22. At first glance of course.
Yet, there must be something going on, when in side by side comparison (we can find many of them already on YouTube) so many people say that FS 19 looks better...
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

Yeah oxy really made incredible change and like i said i would really wish that fs22 looks like that from day 1 on all maps. North sim released his shaders presets for fs19 and damn this game now looks so much better. FS 22 is in dire need for changes in lighting and color saturation
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

At the end of the day it requires relatively little effort from Giants to get FS22 looking like Oxygendavid's Calmsden Farm shots. Just adjust a few shaders and make some quite minor adjustments to the hue and saturation of the colours. Job pretty much done.

The other issue is the sky box but I guess thats a different topic.

ultimate34 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:39 am
This show how powerful lightning and saturation is. It looks better than FS 22. At first glance of course.
Yet, there must be something going on, when in side by side comparison (we can find many of them already on YouTube) so many people say that FS 19 looks better...
One of the reasons I am quite hyped for FS22 is that clearly there are some improvements to the graphics that at first glance seem quite subtle but which might end up being bigger game changers than we think. If a great map modder like Oxygendavid can get his Calmsden Farm map looking as good as it does with the FS19 engine then just think what it'll look like with the FS22 improvements.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

There shouldn't be the need to add any enhancments, shaders etc, the game should look natural from the start after all its a Farming based game so Giants should look out the window and see what the real world looks like and base the colours on that.

Okay there are going to be some slight regional variations but that could be adjusted slightly (and I do mean slightly) with Geo's.

But by far the biggest gripe I personally have with the colours is the metallic textures which reflect bright sunlight even when a vehicle is inside a closed shed at midnight !!
ultimate34

Post by ultimate34 »

I've just finished listening to the topic of the graphic (starts at 25:00) in a recent podcast.
https://www.farming-simulator.com/newsA ... ews_id=261

With all due respect for Giants, I'm really confused:

1. They frequently highlighted that they want "constructive criticism". I think that for example this thread or comments under Gameplay Trailer are constructive. "Graphics is much more colorful than in FS 19, look like a step backward." - If that's not constructive, then and don't know what actually is.
2. They said, that colorists can change in different seasons. Assuming that's true, I don't know how this explanation is supposed to calm down players not liking the new visuals, because that still makes the game being too colorful in particular seasons...
3. And the last thing, they mentioned that the lightning in Gameplay trailer was intentional (like it's not how the game actually looks all the time) and that they provided youtubers with some additional gameplay videos.

And below is one of those videos. Strong mobile game vibes.

Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Thanks for the podcast link. A key quote I took away from it was someone (Lars?) saying 'I can't wait to see what people do with it'. I think thats the key thing isn't it? Giants provide the foundations of the FS experience and then modders take it from there. So maybe its a bit pointless to get too hung up comparing what the base game looks like out of the box with what a map modder has done with it. The Calmsden Farm screenshots are definitely a good benchmark though.

I suppose its more relevant to look at how much is open to being fine tuned by individual map makers. What sort of extra possibilities are there now? Like I said before I am quite hyped by the possibilities we've seen so far of FS22. Maybe map makers will hit the ground running with it a bit more than they were with FS19.
TheSuBBie wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:52 am There shouldn't be the need to add any enhancments, shaders etc, the game should look natural from the start after all its a Farming based game so Giants should look out the window and see what the real world looks like and base the colours on that.
Its important to remember that the sim uses shaders out of the box anyway. Some map makers like Oxygendavid do have their own custom ones though. I agree though that I think a lot of players would like the sim looking naturalistic and as nice as it can be right from launch day.
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

Mobias wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:24 pm Thanks for the podcast link. A key quote I took away from it was someone (Lars?) saying 'I can't wait to see what people do with it'. I think thats the key thing isn't it? Giants provide the foundations of the FS experience and then modders take it from there. So maybe its a bit pointless to get too hung up comparing what the base game looks like out of the box with what a map modder has done with it. The Calmsden Farm screenshots are definitely a good benchmark though.
The foundation is pretty bad...typical Giants mentality: Let's release a half made product and let modders fix it.

The base should be good already and the modders should build on that, not the other way around! The situation now is pretty laughable...i wouldn't want to work for them right now...it must be a stressfull shitshow overthere..
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

h3rich wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:40 pm
The foundation is pretty bad...typical Giants mentality: Let's release a half made product and let modders fix it.

The base should be good already and the modders should build on that, not the other way around! The situation now is pretty laughable...i wouldn't want to work for them right now...it must be a stressfull shitshow overthere..
I certainly think Giants would get better launch day reviews if the base game came with really good, realistic maps at launch and not their usual sandbox efforts. That being said I know realistic maps aren't always the easiest for beginners and I'm guessing some realistic maps for FS22 won't find much room for the new production chains feature (which is apparently optional for map makers)

I do think some of the separate elements for FS22 seem pretty good. The new sounds sound amazing so far, a massive step up there. The POM feature is going to make a huge difference to how good the environment looks plus there's the other performance improvements. Some of it all seems like only a subtle improvement over FS19 but I think it'll all add up to more than some people think.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

ultimate34 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:52 pm 1. They frequently highlighted that they want "constructive criticism". I think that for example this thread or comments under Gameplay Trailer are constructive. "Graphics is much more colorful than in FS 19, look like a step backward." - If that's not constructive, then and don't know what actually is.
I think it's more a case of what is different and how? Eg "FS19's fir and beech trees are more accurately shaped than FS22's" would be constructive and helpful, whereas "FS19's tree are better than FS22's" would be more vague. (That isn't feedback, it's just made up made up for an example).

Since GIANTS emphasised in the podcast that it's still welcome I might make a separate topic for really constructive and detailed feedback, not just for FS22 but for anything that can't be changed this close to release might be considered for either hopefully an update or eventually the next game.

I've been as guilty as other of ranting, sometimes I've removed those posts myself with hindsight, but even when there are rants, GIANTS ought to remember that it's just a love and desire for the game to be as good as it possibly can be. That doesn't excuse all of it, but try to look at it from that viewpoint.

ultimate34 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:52 pm3. And the last thing, they mentioned that the lightning in Gameplay trailer was intentional (like it's not how the game actually looks all the time) and that they provided youtubers with some additional gameplay videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP5f9xxMREs
I'm not going to lie, it does. I can't quite put my finger on why though. I think it's flatish colours and very little ambient occlusion (if any), making everything, particularly the vehicles and implement, look simple and lacking depth. The overly saturated colours doesn't help either, as it as crushes detail to the point where it's either gone or lost in the video compression.
ChiefContractor

Post by ChiefContractor »

ultimate34 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:52 pm I've just finished listening to the topic of the graphic (starts at 25:00) in a recent podcast.
https://www.farming-simulator.com/newsA ... ews_id=261

With all due respect for Giants, I'm really confused:

1. They frequently highlighted that they want "constructive criticism". I think that for example this thread or comments under Gameplay Trailer are constructive. "Graphics is much more colorful than in FS 19, look like a step backward." - If that's not constructive, then and don't know what actually is.
2. They said, that colorists can change in different seasons. Assuming that's true, I don't know how this explanation is supposed to calm down players not liking the new visuals, because that still makes the game being too colorful in particular seasons...
3. And the last thing, they mentioned that the lightning in Gameplay trailer was intentional (like it's not how the game actually looks all the time) and that they provided youtubers with some additional gameplay videos.

do you see the way the bales are coming out?? theyre flying everywhere arent they. i think an improvement of physics and general handling of equipment would be better than what looks to be an enhanced mobile game hence why im not gonna buy till theres a sale
Hello! I'm a PC gamer now! Care to join my server for Realistic and Fun Farming simulator 19 multiplayer?
If so, click here -> https://discord.gg/KnEzWm32tF
ultimate34

Post by ultimate34 »

this_is_gav wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:08 pm I'm not going to lie, it does. I can't quite put my finger on why though. I think it's flatish colours and very little ambient occlusion (if any), making everything, particularly the vehicles and implement, look simple and lacking depth. The overly saturated colours doesn't help either, as it as crushes detail to the point where it's either gone or lost in the video compression.
Yeah, when looking closely it seems that ambient occlusion is less visible e.g. on the stubble or grass. Ambient occlusion shadows are more visible in FS19. Maybe that's one of the reasons why FS22 looks that way.
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

I hope they change and sort it out before release like stegei implied. Will just have to wait and see i guess.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Why do today what the modders can do tomorrow.
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

FarmBoss wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:54 am Why do today what the modders can do tomorrow.
Im hoping one day that wont be the case anymore like many have stated before. Modders should improve already an improved game and push it to the limits. Not to fix the most basic stuff.
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

I totally agree...Giants are leaning on modders too much...I hope they are just trying to save the big info on improvements until closer to release...