Constructive feedback thread for FS22

FarmBoss

Re: Constructive feedback thread for FS22

Post by FarmBoss »

hun3 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:53 pm
BulletBill wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:38 pm A few constructive feedback points:

(This is taken from a Player, Modder and real life Farmer aspect/pov.)

Graphics

I know visual aspects can often be user specific, but in general my experience in the 10 years of Modding and Playing Farm Sim has shown me the vast majority of players appreciate natural, realistic, blended visuals for the game.
The current trend for overblown saturation as seen in Fs22, is really unappealing. I don't remember seeing countless topics and posts asking for cartoon style graphics, yet that is what you've decided to give us.
Telling us this can be adjusted per map environment is not a suitable fix as the colour control is global, where as different aspects need to be adjusted separately.

Conclusion: In all my years of making mods and in particular maps, all the feedback from those has shown that the majority of people enjoy the environment being natural and realistic as possible within the games limitations.
Up to Fs17 the graphics were dated, but had for the most part a nice reasonable balance. Ever since Fs19 and again now into Fs22 the balance has gone, and although some aspects visually look great it has come at the expense of others, please bring back that balance.
For me Farm Sim is about creating realistic, beautiful real world environments for people to enjoy and get lost in the immersion of that environment.
My God Bill I couldn't said this better. And this is why right now I'm still playing FS 17 The Western Shore. I'm going to say something here that probably will get me crucified. Would this game be better if the console version didn't exist? Just wondering...
Given the graphic quality of so many console games, it's clearly not consoles holding anything back. Consoles are not to blame for the shortcomings of the developer.
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

DEERE317 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:12 pm
ctb123 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:54 pm The game might very well be better if console considerations didn't need to be made, but on the other hand, I've read console sales are by far the biggest portion of sales. It's possible FS wouldn't exist at all without console sales.
Or would’ve turned out like Cows and Crops, another dead farming game.
Yeah i heard the sad news. To bad game had potential and even 3d ground which fs will probably never have
punchi

Post by punchi »

njuska11 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:21 pm
ctb123 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:54 pm The game might very well be better if console considerations didn't need to be made, but on the other hand, I've read console sales are by far the biggest portion of sales. It's possible FS wouldn't exist at all without console sales.
Yeah i heard the sad news. To bad game had potential and even 3d ground which fs will probably never have

If you played the game, its basically like the tipped on the ground stuff like in fs19. Thats what they called 3d ground :D
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

punchi wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:26 pm
njuska11 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:21 pm

If you played the game, its basically like the tipped on the ground stuff like in fs19. Thats what they called 3d ground :D
Thx for clarification i only watched the videos. Guess it just did not worked as imagined. That game had potential imo but the project simply could not sustain itself without a proper community
hun3

Post by hun3 »

FarmBoss wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:17 pm
hun3 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:53 pm
BulletBill wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:38 pm A few constructive feedback points:

(This is taken from a Player, Modder and real life Farmer aspect/pov.)

Graphics

I know visual aspects can often be user specific, but in general my experience in the 10 years of Modding and Playing Farm Sim has shown me the vast majority of players appreciate natural, realistic, blended visuals for the game.
The current trend for overblown saturation as seen in Fs22, is really unappealing. I don't remember seeing countless topics and posts asking for cartoon style graphics, yet that is what you've decided to give us.
Telling us this can be adjusted per map environment is not a suitable fix as the colour control is global, where as different aspects need to be adjusted separately.

Conclusion: In all my years of making mods and in particular maps, all the feedback from those has shown that the majority of people enjoy the environment being natural and realistic as possible within the games limitations.
Up to Fs17 the graphics were dated, but had for the most part a nice reasonable balance. Ever since Fs19 and again now into Fs22 the balance has gone, and although some aspects visually look great it has come at the expense of others, please bring back that balance.
For me Farm Sim is about creating realistic, beautiful real world environments for people to enjoy and get lost in the immersion of that environment.
My God Bill I couldn't said this better. And this is why right now I'm still playing FS 17 The Western Shore. I'm going to say something here that probably will get me crucified. Would this game be better if the console version didn't exist? Just wondering...
Given the graphic quality of so many console games, it's clearly not consoles holding anything back. Consoles are not to blame for the shortcomings of the developer.
Now that I think of it you are right as I am playing Snowrunner on ps4 and it looks great. The reason I even said that I used to work in the game industry and we would develop a game on pc but then we would have to "tone" the graphics down to release for consoles.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

FarmBoss wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:17 pm Given the graphic quality of so many console games, it's clearly not consoles holding anything back. Consoles are not to blame for the shortcomings of the developer.
I don't know. The previous gen are pretty weedy. They can do graphics OK, but as soon as you try to do graphics plus open world they start to struggle, and with a changing environment like in FS they start to run out of steam very quickly.

When you see the Mud Runner developer blog (I think it was) you realise just how limited the old gen are - it's a half the size of an FS map, it's got a pretty basic mud system (largely approximation shader based), it's only ever active on something like a 16m x 16m area and much of the map isn't dynamic at all.

We'll see. Certainly FS22 is not going to be a sea change in terms of increased detail or vastly richer worlds, it's more of an update of the same style with a lightly deeper game, but I suspect many of the under-the-hood changes they claim to have put in place* will better serve the next game, when I hope they can lose any shackles of old gen and start pushing the game further. Certainly there won't be any excuses for the world to be as barren, flat and to a degree how small it looks currently.

Vehicle details are fine and have been for a while. Let's hope they focus more on the world and gameplay for the next game. Things like more gradual terrain blending, foliage system improvements, AI, expanded animal approach and more flexible map sizes.

* I only say "claim to" at this stage as obviously we can't comment how well they've been done yet without having the game ourselves and start playing with graphics settings and how far mod maps and things can be pushed.

C & C was decent enough on paper (and even in it's barren state did some things much better than FS22 will do), but it was too much for a small inexperienced dev team and ultimately far too slow, so it was already outdated by the time they had a playable game. The rumours that they spent part of their fundraiser money on new Porsches didn't help their case either.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

this_is_gav wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:11 pm C & C was decent enough on paper (and even in it's barren state did some things much better than FS22 will do), but it was too much for a small inexperienced dev team and ultimately far too slow, so it was already outdated by the time they had a playable game. The rumours that they spent part of their fundraiser money on new Porsches didn't help their case either.
They always do ... that, and offices called "C&C House" with a flagpole -- then you know it's over!
Last edited by blue_painted on Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

this_is_gav wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:11 pm
FarmBoss wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:17 pm Given the graphic quality of so many console games, it's clearly not consoles holding anything back. Consoles are not to blame for the shortcomings of the developer.
I don't know. The previous gen are pretty weedy. They can do graphics OK, but as soon as you try to do graphics plus open world they start to struggle, and with a changing environment like in FS they start to run out of steam very quickly.

When you see the Mud Runner developer blog (I think it was) you realise just how limited the old gen are - it's a half the size of an FS map, it's got a pretty basic mud system (largely approximation shader based), it's only ever active on something like a 16m x 16m area and much of the map isn't dynamic at all.

We'll see. Certainly FS22 is not going to be a sea change in terms of increased detail or vastly richer worlds, it's more of an update of the same style with a lightly deeper game, but I suspect many of the under-the-hood changes they claim to have put in place* will better serve the next game, when I hope they can lose any shackles of old gen and start pushing the game further. Certainly there won't be any excuses for the world to be as barren, flat and to a degree how small it looks currently.

Vehicle details are fine and have been for a while. Let's hope they focus more on the world and gameplay for the next game. Things like more gradual terrain blending, foliage system improvements, AI, expanded animal approach and more flexible map sizes.

* I only say "claim to" at this stage as obviously we can't comment how well they've been done yet without having the game ourselves and start playing with graphics settings and how far mod maps and things can be pushed.

C & C was decent enough on paper (and even in it's barren state did some things much better than FS22 will do), but it was too much for a small inexperienced dev team and ultimately far too slow, so it was already outdated by the time they had a playable game. The rumours that they spent part of their fundraiser money on new Porsches didn't help their case either.
This definitely seems to be the “under the hood” type of update, with all they have messed with in terms of scripting and implementation of different things.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

I do not think consoles are holding the game back, i think it is a case of how GIANTS make the game and who it is aimed at that is a problem. If it was a pure sim game the sales would not be as big as they are. FS is more of a "simcade" than anything.

Console sales are bigger but not by much. Games can and do survive no matter what platform they stay on, but when a game is on all platforms, the game sales do increase heavily and i guess that is why we are able to have all the big brand names in the series now.
the big print giveth the small print taketh
Kamiko

Post by Kamiko »

njuska11 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:19 pm For people that want a wholesome experience like myself i always advise buy the game after atleast 8 to 12 months after release
I'll do that.
There's hope I'll get if for free (or almost free), like with FS19 :mrgreen:
Ravenport - 152 hours (platinum trophy)
Bajeczna - 17 hours
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

Do people really expect Giants to release a game with so many features, and so much equipment, there’s hardly anything for kidders to do? I think Giants would need to triple their staff to even attempt that!

The way I see it, Farm Sim is a sandbox with enough equipment to do everything, and have a bit of choice, and providing a solid platform for kidders to go have fun with.
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

Luftkopf wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:30 am Do people really expect Giants to release a game with so many features, and so much equipment, there’s hardly anything for kidders to do? I think Giants would need to triple their staff to even attempt that!

The way I see it, Farm Sim is a sandbox with enough equipment to do everything, and have a bit of choice, and providing a solid platform for kidders to go have fun with.
People expect a product that doesn't have the same issues for more than 10 years. A product that you want to preorder, not wait 8-12 months for a sale to get it half price because you know it's not worth the full price...
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

h3rich wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:40 am
Luftkopf wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:30 am Do people really expect Giants to release a game with so many features, and so much equipment, there’s hardly anything for kidders to do? I think Giants would need to triple their staff to even attempt that!

People expect a product that doesn't have the same issues for more than 10 years. A product that you want to preorder, not wait 8-12 months for a sale to get it half price because you know it's not worth the full price...
Exactly. I cant play with big machines without gps its simply cumbersome. And fs22 isnt able to implement this feature for reasons uknown. Is it unreasonable to expect gps a 30year old tech to finaly appear in base game after more than 10 years of fs series existance? Gps is just one of the examples. So yeah game is still lacking basic stuff...
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Essentially hired helpers can be treated as GPS. You make the turn, turn on his helper then wait until the other end and take over to turn again.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:24 pm Essentially hired helpers can be treated as GPS. You make the turn, turn on his helper then wait until the other end and take over to turn again.
What are you talking about? The GPS is GPS and a hired helper is a hired helper (one missing from the game and the other completely unfinished and unusable). That kind of thinking is keeping the game in the state it's in...