Constructive feedback thread for FS22

theSeb

Re: Constructive feedback thread for FS22

Post by theSeb »

blue_painted wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:17 pm
BulletBill wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:29 am (snip)

I think you mis-understood the article. In fact this whole aspect really needs to be clarified by GIANTS as otherwise a lot of players are gonna be annoyed when they figure it out themselves as I've read this confusion everywhere.

Fs22 Seasonal Cycles works in 3 parts,
1) Is the visual aspect, trees changing colour, foliage etc. This CANNOT be turned off.

2) Crop Calender, this can be turned off allowing you to plant and harvest with bare Winter trees or whenever you want.

3) Snow can also be turned off.

I agree adding a simple Seasons to the default game is a good idea, not everyone wants to be forced to play with some of the full Seasons mod features as many become quickly irritating or annoying after a short while.

But I don't understand making it that you can turn it off, but only half off.
Same as restricting the Seasons length to 12 days per year.

Farm Sim's strength has always been allowing players to play how they want to. But ever since Fs19 the newer gameplay functions have actually been restricting gameplay to fewer and fewer styles.
That's quite depressing: I had hoped that "pausing the Season Cycles calendar" would mean that days passed but the Season didn't change: that way I could get to spring, say, do all my spring jobs, un-pause the calendar, get to summer, pause, do all those jobs, un-pause, get to autumn, pause, do all those jobs and so on.

Maybe I'll just get a 100mph, million litre combine and rush around the fields like a ten-year old :frown: :frown: :frown:

And make cakes *thumbsdown*
Increase your work area to 100 metres and turn off collisions. Job done *thumbsup*
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

theSeb wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:05 pm
When you try to meet everyone half way you just end up with a half solution that results in annoying everyone by half.
That's exactly right, and I like that it sounds like something Yogi Berra would say. The frustrating thing is that just adding a few simple options could make everybody all the way happy. As far as seasons, maybe the majority of players only want to see the visual effects of changing seasons. But would those people be bothered if there were options for more in depth gameplay? Who are these people that become overwhelmed and wouldn't be able to handle the choices on a farm game?

It must be more complicated than it seems to add gameplay options because the idea that it's too "hardcore" for those options to even exist just doesn't make much sense. They recognized that people loved the Seasons mod, and that it's the main reason many people (myself included) are still playing. But they missed that one of the best features of it was the additional options menu that came with it.

Like you said, 50% of the time they get it right every time.
PS4
Reed Engineering

Post by Reed Engineering »

My take on the seasons cycles is just why?

The biggest thing asked for, for game play as a default option was to have seasons.

Why didn't Ginats bring the realisms team from the beginning. They are the team that made seasons so have a good understanding on what do to and what not to do.

They could have had 3 years to make it and 3 options. 1) No seasons at all
2) Seasons only visuals
3) Full blown seasons with all the trimmings

This could have been done with a tick box when you select the map you wish to play on.

Instead what we've got is the "wish" version that as far as I can tell nobody wants.

Its like why bother asking what we would like in the game and then do completely the opposite.

But don't worry about that. Check out this 3m plow.
Pc Player
My FaceBook Page WMRmodding
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

BulletBill wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:29 am
Aholz89 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:06 pm I recommend reading this page.

https://farming-simulator.com/newsArtic ... ews_id=245

You can turn on/off both seasonal cycles or seasonal growth.
I think you mis-understood the article.In fact this whole aspect really needs to be clarified by GIANTS as otherwise a lot of players are gonna be annoyed when they figure it out themselves as I've read this confusion everywhere.
As I read it again, I might have read it to fast, but I was sure that I saw this in one of their videos as well.

I agree there should be some clarification around this subject.
Came here for information, stayed for the entertainment.
Balsafer

Post by Balsafer »

Not sure if anyone mentioned about the skies being white, but when you have the bright sun right there it is going to make the skies look more white.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

There's possibly a valid point that the implementation of seasons in FS22 may end up pleasing no one. People who aren't bothered about seasons will just turn it off and people who want seasons want it done pretty much like the original Realismus mod. I guess as long as they make it easy for modders to change the way seasons works so people who want it can get the proper multi day to season length options they want and are used to.
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

Mobias wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:06 pm People who aren't bothered about seasons will just turn it off and people who want seasons want it done pretty much like the original Realismus mod.
There were a few things that reminds me.
  • There is no way to turn the entire seasons off unlike 17/19 which was a mod.
  • In seasons 19, the brightness of the night time was very dark and no moon, in FS22 its night time brightness is very bright that it gets to the point where headlights become very useless. :(
  • In Seasons 17/19 there was a way to change season length. but in FS22 There is NO way to change season length and is locked to 3 day season. which caused alot of problems with that. *thumbsdown*
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
Florish

Post by Florish »

If anything for this game, proper wheel support on console, without the spring set to very hard automatically which makes it unplayable with one hand.
Digital farmer from the Netherlands
- FS17/19 on PS4
- FS22 on PS5
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

Just had an idea about improving the pallet physics. Maybe it would be possible to make the pallets flexible like they are in real life?

Anyone who ever worked with a forklift IRL knows pallets are not completely rigid and flex a lot when loaded.

If you look at LSFM BigBag mod the top of the bags is flexible and improves the handling of said bags a lot...

Any modders to have a glance at this if it's even possible with current GE?
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I have constructive feedback for a change,

Please, figure out a way in which trees and buildings don't disappear as you zoom out or are far away.

There is nothing worse than finding a map that I think is good, then drive around and see the trees or buildings disappear. I never really noticed it on 17. Maybe it was the colors, maybe it was the lighting. But the disappearing objects was noticeable at first glance on 19. It really hurts as far as immersion goes for me. Some maps are able to work around that, with good video performance as well. Just my 2 cents.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Hellas Farmer wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:04 pm
A non-hardcore Seasons that will not seem too complicated and scare them off.
I've never really bought this argument that the current version of seasons, as it is in FS19, is too complicated for a 'novice' farmer to get their head around. Have you seen the level of complexity for some games that 12 year olds frequently play these days? Relatively speaking Seasons is not a complicated mod to understand.

For those that want a simpler experience and just want to much about with tractors they can just turn seasons off altogether.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:50 pm I have constructive feedback for a change,

Please, figure out a way in which trees and buildings don't disappear as you zoom out or are far away.

There is nothing worse than finding a map that I think is good, then drive around and see the trees or buildings disappear. I never really noticed it on 17. Maybe it was the colors, maybe it was the lighting. But the disappearing objects was noticeable at first glance on 19. It really hurts as far as immersion goes for me. Some maps are able to work around that, with good video performance as well. Just my 2 cents.
This is down to the performance demands that are greater on Fs19 and Fs17.
Every object on a map has a set clip distance which can set to any value from 0-1,000,000. This tells the game that at that clip distance value stop rendering this object visible to the player.
Clip distance can be adjusted on PC via the graphics menu depending on your PC performance.
I know on console the clip distances are much lower than are possible on PC.

With mod maps it all depends on how good the modder was in optimizing the clip distances on the map. 90% of mod maps are dreadful at this even after so many game versions.
I take pride that my last map (TWS 17) had over 70,000 objects on the map, but would still run 60fps constant everywhere no matter where I was on the map. (Unlocking the FPS limiter the map does not dip below 80fps.)
I'm not saying this to blow my own trumpet, but to show it is quite possible to achieve good performance while still keeping plenty of detail and still not having trees and buildings disappearing really close to the player.

Unfortunately most mappers either don't realise how important this is, are in too much of a rush to get there map out, or worse just don't care.

Hope this explains this issue better for you Chedly...
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mobias wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:24 pm
Hellas Farmer wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:04 pm
A non-hardcore Seasons that will not seem too complicated and scare them off.
I've never really bought this argument that the current version of seasons, as it is in FS19, is too complicated for a 'novice' farmer to get their head around. Have you seen the level of complexity for some games that 12 year olds frequently play these days? Relatively speaking Seasons is not a complicated mod to understand.

For those that want a simpler experience and just want to much about with tractors they can just turn seasons off altogether.
It has much less to do with complexity and more to do with how it’s introduced. FS has basically always been a game to throw you into the world with only an optional (and extremely basic) guided tour or tutorials and then leave you to your own devices. Most games (ie non sandbox ones with storylines/progression) have the luxury of leading a player through a slowly gaining complexity world.
Plenty of FS mods I’ve viewed as daunting and put off using them for a while to avoid having to figure out what that plethora of buttons and options do (most notably GPS in 19 for me)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
BernardC

Post by BernardC »

unfortunately that thread seems to be dying .... :hmm:
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

chedly_farms & BulletBill, we made a huge improvement in rendering performance of trees and other small replicated objects. Along with the other general performance improvements and the occlusion culling, I expect mappers to set the clip distances further for many more objects.
It of course can still make sense to individually tune the clip distances for every object based on what makes sense (like using a larger clip distance for the border buildings of an area and use lower ones for the things inside that will mostly occluded by the outer buildings (our occlusion culling is fully conservative, so that it will only remove objects if they are for sure not visible by a single pixel. So if you want some performance/quality tradeoff, you still might want to tune those distances). But it will be much less important, especially for the tree lods.