What do you think of the lighting/colors in FS19?

How do you feel about the lighting and colors of FS19?

I like the lighting and the colors.
10%
I think the lighting is ok, I wish the colors were more earth tone/natural.
24%
The lighting is bad, the colors are ok.
3%
Both the lighting and colors are not good, I prefer FS17 on both of these.
39%
The colors and lighting are off, but it's not game breaking for me.
24%

Total votes: 59

chedly_farms

Re: What do you think of the lighting/colors in FS19?

Post by chedly_farms »

The only time I really want a blue sky akin to 17 is when I am taking screen shots. But If I time it right and get the proper angle I can get some nice looking skies on 19. It's just a lot harder than it was on 17.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
They Caged Non

Post by They Caged Non »

I play in 3rd person and most of the time the camera is angled downwards so I can see what the implement is doing.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Yeah chedly_farms, Bill and others screenshots are really nice in 17.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Jagtractor

Post by Jagtractor »

Hopefully some modders maps will fix some of the lighting (won't help for the Giants provided maps). I know right now there are some modded maps out there that I just can't play (sadly) because they either enhance the already overwashed colors and/or dark shadows.
I have been playing Griffin Indiana so much lately and the lighting it feels so good to me (as good as it can be anyway). I recently downloaded Welker farms (again) and was surprised how bloody dark the shadows are. It's a small thing but very immersion breaking when I can barely tell what color my tractor is when seeing the shadow side from any kind of distance that isn't inside the shadow itself.
PC and PS4 Pro
been playing on pc lately.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Unfortunately a poll like this with so few active members will prove little, but I still want to know who are the people that make up the purportedly large numbers of casual players that like the more colourful and saturated look. I have to assume it's the Giants senior staff' 7 year old kids.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

theSeb wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:53 am Unfortunately a poll like this with so few active members will prove little, but I still want to know who are the people that make up the purportedly large numbers of casual players that like the more colourful and saturated look. I have to assume it's the Giants senior staff' 7 year old kids.
My best guess is the GIANTS PM's looking at other successful games and saying "We want one like that"
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

blue_painted wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:56 am
theSeb wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:53 am Unfortunately a poll like this with so few active members will prove little, but I still want to know who are the people that make up the purportedly large numbers of casual players that like the more colourful and saturated look. I have to assume it's the Giants senior staff' 7 year old kids.
My best guess is the GIANTS PM's looking at other successful games and saying "We want one like that"
My next best guess is that Giants staff need to recalibrate their monitors, or buy better ones.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

theSeb wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 am
My next best guess is that Giants staff need to recalibrate their monitors, or buy better ones.
Or cut down on the 23 hour working days and non-stop energy drinks? :mrgreen:
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

blue_painted wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:11 am
theSeb wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 am

Or cut down on the 23 hour working days and non-stop energy drinks? :mrgreen:
:lol:
ekeenan

Post by ekeenan »

Giants did introduce UDIM which is the new color/texturing technique. I wonder why this would have such an impact on the overall environment?
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I'm somewhat shocked that for the most part at least here on the forum that the overwhelming majority doesn't think the lighting/colors look off or even prefers FS17 style. Being that they doubled down and are seemingly continuing that direction onto FS22.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I voted "lighting ok, colors could be more natural", but I'll saying that with a pinch of salt. I think that making the colors contrast a little less, and taking the saturation down, will help the lighting, which could use some work also. It was hard to put my finger on it earlier in the game, but seeing how Giants has somewhat improved the visuals on the dev version of 22, it's easier to point out some of the things that could/have changed for the better. An example of what I'm basing my opinion on is this image
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Dairydeere wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 pm I voted "lighting ok, colors could be more natural", but I'll saying that with a pinch of salt. I think that making the colors contrast a little less, and taking the saturation down, will help the lighting, which could use some work also. It was hard to put my finger on it earlier in the game, but seeing how Giants has somewhat improved the visuals on the dev version of 22, it's easier to point out some of the things that could/have changed for the better. An example of what I'm basing my opinion on is this image
Agreed, the more recent images (Fact sheets, other stuff) are much better and don’t look like FS20.
Also agree the lighting is good but could look more natural. The engine is awesome and does great (FS19 Seasons mod along with many maps show this), just using cartoon coloration like the very first gameplay trailer/photos ruin it.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.