What do you think of the lighting/colors in FS19?

How do you feel about the lighting and colors of FS19?

I like the lighting and the colors.
10%
I think the lighting is ok, I wish the colors were more earth tone/natural.
24%
The lighting is bad, the colors are ok.
3%
Both the lighting and colors are not good, I prefer FS17 on both of these.
39%
The colors and lighting are off, but it's not game breaking for me.
24%

Total votes: 59

chedly_farms

What do you think of the lighting/colors in FS19?

Post by chedly_farms »

We've spent three years on the current game of the franchise. Initially I thought the lighting was way to harsh. The colors didn't bother me too bad, but I feel that I personally liked the colors on 17 better. But for the most part, I've thought that my opinions were pretty much online with pretty much all the other players out there. With 22 on the near horizon and seeing some game footage, we are seeing pretty much the same lighting and colors as was on 19. That got me thinking. Am I in the minority on how 19 looks. I will say, the shadows that are casted by objects are way better on 19 than they were 17, so maybe the lighting is growing on me, I just don't know. So I figured I would create a poll.

How do you feel about the lighting and colors of FS19?
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
norfolk farmer

Re: What do you think of the lighting/colors in FS19?

Post by norfolk farmer »

17 had a warmth to it that 19 never really captured for me and so far 22 is looking the same way.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

For me Fs17 has a much more natural blend in lighting and textures than Fs19.
(I should qualify this by stating I am comparing my TWS map lighting and textures to the top modded ones available for Fs19, not default 17/19.)

At times the more intense lighting I don't mind in 19, but at other times it's too harsh.
The colour tone of the sky is washed out, the sky overall is a complete let down and massive turn off for me. (For ones who say they don't care what the sky looks like I can only assume they are blind or secretly part of some human mole society.)

Most of the default Fs19 textures are not to my taste, for example the trees are far to light to look natural.

I also find the vehicle/equipment colours look over saturated in Fs19.

Overall I prefer 17 to 19, but some aspects of 17 look dated now, whereas 19 just doesn't have that nice balance.
Basically neither is good enough, and as for Fs22 it seems more along the lines of Fs19, but whether for the better or worse (graphically) we will have to see on release.
Last edited by BulletBill on Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

I thought we were leaving this to the council, but anyways.
So far, 17 was the most comforting game I've played in a long lime.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

FarmBoss wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:29 pm I thought we were leaving this to the council, but anyways.
So far, 17 was the most comforting game I've played in a long lime.
Yeah we don’t need to talk about anything anymore because the council of elders will take care of it, forums just for screenshots from here on out comrades
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

I don't like it. The lighting is just... wrong. It's either too bright or too dark.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

I went for "The lighting is bad, the colors are ok", the only one to do so at time of writing.

I think the general colour palette probably wasn't too bad in FS19 (though it was hard to tell with the lighting), and can look better in mod maps, but I really, really hate the directional lighting, which makes everything either too bright or too dark, crushing either the highlights or the shadows depending on which way you're looking. It's way over the top compared to what the effect should have looked like and in my opinion it shouldn't have existed at all when in third person view (I suppose in first person a case for it could be argued, but it was still too extreme).

That's not to say all of the colours looked OK, even if you too away that lighting system. The terrain blended badly and distance textures and foliage left a lot to be desired.

From what we've seen of FS22 it looks like that directional lighting (I'm sure it has a proper name?) has been dialled back a fair bit, but we need to see more to be sure. The colours in FS22 were definitely miles off in the GamesCom videos but as Stegei said yesterday the colours, sky and lighting are still being worked on. The colours looked better at FarmCon, so there's hope in that regard.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

IMO the coloration and lighting engine were good, just the settings used really make FS19 look poor in terms of smooth/muted lighting. (And by that I mean just to bright over all, and not a realistic bright sun way either.)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

BulletBill wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:14 pm (snip)
(For ones who say they don't care what the sky looks like I can only assume they are blind or secretly part of some human mole society.)
(snip)
I'm neither, but then I spend most of my time looking at where I'm going and what I'm doing, not gazing up at the sky. :wink3:
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
BostonJohnny1226

Post by BostonJohnny1226 »

To me, Fs19 just seems too "colorful" and bright. I shouldn't "have" to rely on a mod to tone them down in an attempt to get a more realistic look. From what I've seen so far in regards to FS22, I see it'll be the same.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

blue_painted wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:41 am
(For ones who say they don't care what the sky looks like I can only assume they are blind or secretly part of some human mole society.)
(snip)
I'm neither, but then I spend most of my time looking at where I'm going and what I'm doing, not gazing up at the sky. :wink3:
Well considering the sky takes up half of your view when looking straight ahead you obviously have the ability to ignore half your monitor.
For me I enjoy looking at the environment as I'm working, so therefore am not able to just ignore something that is in my opinion looks ugly and un-natural.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

BulletBill wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:11 am
(snip)
Well considering the sky takes up half of your view when looking straight ahead you obviously have the ability to ignore half your monitor.
For me I enjoy looking at the environment as I'm working, so therefore am not able to just ignore something that is in my opinion looks ugly and un-natural.
It's not half, it's a quarter at most and given that some of that quarter is taken up with cab a-posts and mirrors, maybe a sixth? The other thing you might notice is that view shows the horizon and, as I understand it, the worst of the sky effects are straight up.

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

blue_painted wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:29 am It's not half, it's a quarter at most and given that some of that quarter is taken up with cab a-posts and mirrors, maybe a sixth? The other thing you might notice is that view shows the horizon and, as I understand it, the worst of the sky effects are straight up.

https://image.giants-software.com/1/xWbNWqUF.jpg
You're assuming that most players play from inside the cab, which is almost certainly not the case.

Edit: That's not to say that it's half the screen when working either, but it's irrelevant anyway. While the sky itself is a mere prop in the game (albeit a ginormous one), it is important when considering the immersion of the game, a key word GIANTS used in the build up to FS19 in particular.

In FS19 part of the problem is the volume and depth (or lack thereof) of the clouds while the other major issue is the horizon, which is nearly always clear. GIANTS have gone to some effort to improve the latter in FS22.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

this_is_gav wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:07 am
blue_painted wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:29 am It's not half, it's a quarter at most and given that some of that quarter is taken up with cab a-posts and mirrors, maybe a sixth? The other thing you might notice is that view shows the horizon and, as I understand it, the worst of the sky effects are straight up.

https://image.giants-software.com/1/xWbNWqUF.jpg
You're assuming that most players play from inside the cab, which is almost certainly not the case.

Edit: That's not to say that it's half the screen when working either, but it's irrelevant anyway. While the sky itself is a mere prop in the game (albeit a ginormous one), it is important when considering the immersion of the game, a key word GIANTS used in the build up to FS19 in particular.

In FS19 part of the problem is the volume and depth (or lack thereof) of the clouds while the other major issue is the horizon, which is nearly always clear. GIANTS have gone to some effort to improve the latter in FS22.
Yes but no but ... my response to BB was a bit tongue in cheek, because his post was ...
BulletBill wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:11 am Well considering the sky takes up half of your view when looking straight ahead you obviously have the ability to ignore half your monitor.
... and so seemed to apply to me and what I see.

I take your point though, but I've no real idea how many people play in-cab and how many in 3rd person view.

Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

blue_painted wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:29 am
BulletBill wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:11 am

It's not half, it's a quarter at most and given that some of that quarter is taken up with cab a-posts and mirrors, maybe a sixth? The other thing you might notice is that view shows the horizon and, as I understand it, the worst of the sky effects are straight up.

The sky is my area has looked like for the last 3 days now. Also I don't mind it in fs19 either because I don't drive around looking at the sky either.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.