Flail Mower Question? Cotton in particular

chedly_farms

Flail Mower Question? Cotton in particular

Post by chedly_farms »

I seen a screenshot somewhere, where they were using a Flail Mower to cut down cotton stems after harvest. I take it that is a mod, say real mower? And not something that can be done on console? I've been curious, is why I ask. I could try it, but discussing it on here is more entertaining.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Mwal

Re: Flail Mower Question? Cotton in particular

Post by Mwal »

It’s a script mod and you have to add things to the map xml to get it to work
https://mod-network.com/detail/8053/Mow ... o+Bush+Hog
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

Why do farmers cut the stems IRL?

We don't grow cotton here but plenty of cereals and that leaves behind stubble. I've seen a few farmers mow that but I'm not sure why? Easier to mix into the soil when cultivating or using a disc? I did read once that some people cut the stubble and bale it, not sure what quality the bales would be though as the stubble can only be 6-8 inches at most.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Cotton stubble is like rebar so they mow it
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Mwal wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:56 pm Cotton stubble is like rebar so they mow it
Really? That's nuts, couldn't this cause flat tires if they drive over it?
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Corn stalks can cause flat tires as well.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
garyst

Post by garyst »

I was told they shred it to control the boll weevils. The un shredded stalks start to grow back leaves and a few bolls after picking before the winter cold will kill it leading to a better chance for boll weevils to return to the field.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Also pretty sure cotton and corn stalks are chopped/mowed to allow better decomposition and tillage to occur (corn stalks especially will plug up tillage tools if the residue isn’t chopped up by the head, a mower, or a disc/VT)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

Good info, thanks guys.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

garyst wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:17 pm I was told they shred it to control the boll weevils. The un shredded stalks start to grow back leaves and a few bolls after picking before the winter cold will kill it leading to a better chance for boll weevils to return to the field.
I didn’t know this, but it makes quite a bit of sense.
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

Yeah you have to modify the xml and download an edited bush hog or hx20 to be able to mow cotton stalks. However there is an amadas pc6 on facebook group that works like a cultivator so you get the feeling like you chopping cotton stalks. You dont need to edit anything then
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

I really hope we get a mod in FS22 that will introduce more realistic soil/seedbed management (like Command and Conquer).
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

george.earlslight wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:47 am I really hope we get a mod in FS22 that will introduce more realistic soil/seedbed management (like Command and Conquer).
I too think think this would be a great addition. Perhaps we'll get something like this when the Precision Farming (free?) DLC comes out next Spring, not sure there are too many details on it yet besides the interview with the gent from John Deere.

Fingers crossed :hmm:
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

george.earlslight wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:47 am I really hope we get a mod in FS22 that will introduce more realistic soil/seedbed management (like Command and Conquer).
The question is which script modder will take upon this task if at all. Not many of them left unfortunately im afraid. Im even wondering will decker convert follow me and wopster gps. GPS really should have been added by now.
Boost_GLR

Post by Boost_GLR »

chedly_farms wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:40 pm I seen a screenshot somewhere, where they were using a Flail Mower to cut down cotton stems after harvest. I take it that is a mod, say real mower? And not something that can be done on console? I've been curious, is why I ask. I could try it, but discussing it on here is more entertaining.
I know you said cotton but on
Le Risaie Del Nord you can chop corn stalks. But maybe at some point, a map maker can add the ability to do cotton.
FS22 on Xbox Series X. But play the older titles on PC.