A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods

Dairydeere

A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods

Post by Dairydeere »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LQ1 ... sp=sharing

Here is a resource with tips and tricks for finding mods. It's a 5-minute read and will help you find mods if you're still trying to discover all the different places for mod downloads. This guide is specifically for PC/MAC users as console players only have access to ModHub mods. Hope this was helpful *thumbsup*
Last edited by Dairydeere on Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
DEERE317

Re: A Guide to Finding FS19 Mods

Post by DEERE317 »

I would note Mega.nz or Google Drive are the best file hosts modders use as they aren’t pop up ad and virus riddled, just simple, fast, easy downloading.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Thanks for doing this, I'm sure it will save a lot of grief. *thumbsup* *thumbsup*

I'd just add: It's worth having something like MalwareBytes on your PC, that saves a lot of "adult" popups and downright scam popups. Why would I be on those malware-riddled s(h)ites? Because many times the re-uploader will include the modder's name and then you can search for the original by name. There's one very big re-upload site where almost everything is uploaded by one user, he/she defends him/herself "... but I always credit the author ..." so the key is to find that info but NOT download from the s(h)ite.

And I'll also add: for European/Gemrnad mods, ls-modcompany.com is very good.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

DEERE317 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:38 pm I would note Mega.nz or Google Drive are the best file hosts modders use as they aren’t pop up ad and virus riddled, just simple, fast, easy downloading.
Thanks, I'll add Google Drive. I forget to think about that one because I find it so awkward to upload and download from. MEGA is my go-to
blue_painted wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:39 am Thanks for doing this, I'm sure it will save a lot of grief. *thumbsup* *thumbsup*

I'd just add: It's worth having something like MalwareBytes on your PC, that saves a lot of "adult" popups and downright scam popups. Why would I be on those malware-riddled s(h)ites? Because many times the re-uploader will include the modder's name and then you can search for the original by name. There's one very big re-upload site where almost everything is uploaded by one user, he/she defends him/herself "... but I always credit the author ..." so the key is to find that info but NOT download from the s(h)ite.

And I'll also add: for European/Gemrnad mods, ls-modcompany.com is very good.
Thanks, I'll probably add Malwarebytes too. I use it personally, and it saves me a lot of problems with popups and ads.

People say they credit the author, but they make money off it too. Drives me insane when people think its ok to download from just any site. Big reason behind making this lol
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Happy farming!
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Dairydeere wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:20 am (snip)
People say they credit the author, but they make money off it too. Drives me insane when people think its ok to download from just any site. Big reason behind making this lol
I think you know who I mean :mrgreen:
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Dairydeere

Re: A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods

Post by Dairydeere »

I have updated my document to provide accurate information as to which sites are still reputable, and which ones are no longer good places to download from. It is very important that original mod downloads are used from getting mods from modders, especially right now as conversions of mods are releasing, no matter if they're the original author or not, and most of the stolen conversions are not even good enough quality to represent the modders' work. I encourage everyone to give the guide a read if they haven't and respect modders' work. The best way to prevent stolen and unreputable mod downloads is through spreading awareness!

Discord Server
Facebook page

Happy farming!
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

Another useful bit of kit for fighting pop-ups and adverts is to make a Pi-Hole to work as a filter to kill a lot of stuff.

Can supply links to easy guides, if anyone is interested.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
Bersson

Post by Bersson »

Thanks for doing this, @Dairydeere :) About Modhoster... They have gone totally Modhub.us for some time now. Sure, when they present mods from the official modhub, they link back to Farming-Simulator.com. But they also offer direct downloads from their own site. This could potentially rob modders of download revenue from Giants.

Kingmods is an interesting case. I agree they only show half-hearted respect for modders. Still, one of the guys behind it is a Giants ambassador. I don't know if Giants is aware of the issue? I mean, it shouldn't be ok for ambassadors to break copyright laws, right?
alha alha

Post by alha alha »

gordon861 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:58 pm Another useful bit of kit for fighting pop-ups and adverts is to make a Pi-Hole to work as a filter to kill a lot of stuff.

Hey Gordon, it might be useful if you tossed up some of the links to the guides, and your thoughts on them if you'd used them. I bought a Raspberry PI 4 about a year ago with the intention of setting up a Pi-Hole, but things came up and I never got around to it. Think I'd like to give it a shot this winter, so any good info you might have that has worked well for you would be appreciated.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

alha alha wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:57 pm
gordon861 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:58 pm Another useful bit of kit for fighting pop-ups and adverts is to make a Pi-Hole to work as a filter to kill a lot of stuff.

Hey Gordon, it might be useful if you tossed up some of the links to the guides, and your thoughts on them if you'd used them. I bought a Raspberry PI 4 about a year ago with the intention of setting up a Pi-Hole, but things came up and I never got around to it. Think I'd like to give it a shot this winter, so any good info you might have that has worked well for you would be appreciated.
I followed the guide that LTT put up with their video a couple of years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBXTnrD_Zs4

And their instructions are found at https://linustechtips.com/topic/1094810 ... -tutorial/

I found it very easy to setup and it's just sitting on the network doing it's job. Their guide uses a Pi Zero but I just used a Pi4 as it's much more powerful so I can remote into is and add other features to it later if I want.

Once running you don't need to use it on every computer on the network, each device needs to have its DNS lookup address changed. You can do this on a network level by changing settings on your router but I have never managed to get that working and I like the option. You can even get your mobile phones and tablets that are connected to use it, you just need to click on advanced options when setting up the wifi connection.

Once I set it up I use TeamViewer to connect ot it remotely if I need to do anything on it, like update it, but a lot is done from the web interface.

Couple of useful commands you will need at some point:
To update run the following command:
pihole -up

Set the Web Admin Password when you forget it
pihole -a -p [password]
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?