Cows - increasing food consuption

gile

Cows - increasing food consuption

Post by gile »

I dont think my cows eat enough food. Where can I increase food consuption. Playing on Italia map + seasons. Tnx.
aussepom

Re: Cows - increasing food consuption

Post by aussepom »

well what a about a update on the FS17 mod fro breeding the animals it was good you had young then later took them to market please can some on try to up date it
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

aussepom wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:09 pm well what a about a update on the FS17 mod fro breeding the animals it was good you had young then later took them to market please can some on try to up date it
That has nothing to do with the op question. The seasons mod does that too.

To the op, what type of cattle, how big are they, what are you feeding them?
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

On PC you can edit the animal food xml of the map or in the seasons mod itself (if the map don`t have an own animal food xml)
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Will add that Seasons is set up for correct food consumption per year if you’re trying to resemble IRL.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
gile

Post by gile »

@DEERE317
To be honest, I dont think it does. There are 2 farms around me, each with around 200 cows, each feeds those cows with a mixer wagon. Those cows eat a full mixer wagon a day. In FS19, (with seasons of course, without it, FS is a joke thats not even funny), those 200 cows eat around a third of a mixer a day. Furthermore, a round bale IRL has a volume of about a 1000 litres, in FS: 4000 litres.
While those farmers around me struggle to harvest enough food for theire cows, a small field of grass in FS19 is enough to keep the cows fed through the whole year.

@Tobihh
Tried to edit the food xml in seasons, but then seasons wouldnt load. Tried the same with the map itself, this time the map didnt load. Would be very happy if someone explained what and where I need to edit, to increase the food consuption.

TNX
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

You need to change the value for food in animals.xml. So look for this part:

Code: Select all

<animal type="COW">
        <subType fillTypeName="COW_TYPE_BROWN" name="Limousin" >
            <input straw="1800" water="0.06" food="0.03" />
This value is the percentage of body weight that the animal consumes per RL day. So a 500 kg Limousin will eat (with this value of 0.03) 15 liters of feed per RL day. Multiply with abt 10 for converting a RL day to a game day at 9 day season length.

Normally cows eat something like 1.8% to almost 3% for lactacting cows (percentage of body weight) dry matter per day. Problem in FS is the problem of converting volume to dry matter. In the game 4000 liters of silage is the same as 4000 liters of hay, but in real life the dry matter content is very different. This is further complicated with the weight gain being affected by the productivity (simulating the difference in protein content for the different feeds).

As an example: 200 cows each at 500 kg and running 9 day season length (food consumption is normalized to season length) should consume abt 30 000 liters of feed per game day. With the current game settings.

See also this blog post:
https://www.realismusmodding.com/blog/2 ... onsumption

Edit: if you have problems with the game loading after editing files look for clues in the log.txt or attach it here so we can help :)
JohnDeere77

Post by JohnDeere77 »

The amount of work regarding everyday feeding is "enough". But the area needed in order to feed my closing to 400 cows seems out of proportion. As in too small. So in my book I would prefer to reduce harvest.
Plays on pc, hardmode and loves grinding
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

gile wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:30 am @DEERE317
To be honest, I dont think it does. There are 2 farms around me, each with around 200 cows, each feeds those cows with a mixer wagon. Those cows eat a full mixer wagon a day. In FS19, (with seasons of course, without it, FS is a joke thats not even funny), those 200 cows eat around a third of a mixer a day. Furthermore, a round bale IRL has a volume of about a 1000 litres, in FS: 4000 litres.
While those farmers around me struggle to harvest enough food for theire cows, a small field of grass in FS19 is enough to keep the cows fed through the whole year.

@Tobihh
Tried to edit the food xml in seasons, but then seasons wouldnt load. Tried the same with the map itself, this time the map didnt load. Would be very happy if someone explained what and where I need to edit, to increase the food consuption.

TNX
1,000l in terms of volume, but bales are compressed so have a greater volume. Math I believe works out correct for a 4x4’ round bale being 4K, 3x4x8’ lsb’s on the other hand…
Really belong around 8-10k, along with 5x6rb’s.
And are all those cows same age as those IRL cows?
Grass yield I believe is that way due to map sizing and play time, as to have realistic grass yield and do much livestock would require more than a whole map otherwise and spending hours playing a game.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Eische

Post by Eische »

gile wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:30 am Furthermore, a round bale IRL has a volume of about a 1000 litres, in FS: 4000 litres.
Then you are only used to very small round bales. The games 1.3m diameter bales are considered small already and they have a real volume of about 1500 liters. More common are 1.5m bales which have about 2500 liters volume in real life.
Factoring in compression, the 4000 liters in the game is not that bad.

While we are at bales:
The ingame square bales should have a volume of 6900 liters considering the same compression ratio as round bales.

Yield can vary very much. Likely possible that yield is quite low in your area. With good conditions we are baling about 15-18 1.5m round bales per hectare. During normal conditions it is more like 12-15 bales.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker