What do you all look for in maps?

Dairydeere

Re: What do you all look for in maps?

Post by Dairydeere »

fcdrifter13 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:06 pm
I think the scenery is a big thing for me. Being able to nail things like elevation changes, correct ditch depth, and the perspective you get when actually driving through the countryside. I also enjoy maps I can relate to in some way. An example for me is Autumn Oaks. Just seeing all the beautiful dairy buildings is something that I can relate to from past experiences and know I'll really enjoy the map. Dairy farming is somewhat of a passion of mine :biggrin2: UMRV is another one of my favorite maps, just because of the atmosphere. You have the town down low, then you head up the hills into the countryside. And the beauty of that is you almost have two separate worlds, because the map does such a good job of using the elevation to make it feel bigger than it really is. The only reason I don't play it is because it was converted poorly and has a lot of terrain problems and internal bugs. Been following your Prairie du Chien videos since you started making them, and I'm glad to hear you're still making progress on it. Loving the work *thumbsup*
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

chedly_farms wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:12 pm

First off. I grew up in the 80's and 90's, and thought I was one of the older players, lol

As a child of the 70's you are a youth to me, your youthfulness may explain your poor taste in barley pops :lol:
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

norfolk farmer wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:26 am
chedly_farms wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:12 pm

First off. I grew up in the 80's and 90's, and thought I was one of the older players, lol

As a child of the 70's you are a youth to me, your youthfulness may explain your poor taste in barley pops :lol:
I'm a child of the 70s, that's why I like the MF135, Ford 5000, Claas Senator and so on!
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

To me a good map is a form of art. It should make you think you live in the world and be an escape from reality. This is where the vast majority of maps fall down I feel (most of GIANTS' included - the only one I ever liked was Bjornholm, which felt a bit more 'true' than their other maps). There is beautiful 3D modelling and good technical ability shown in plenty, but I can count on one hand the ones where I get a feeling that I'm in a real place. It's the small details that make the difference.

I used to think that the only way to convey such a feeling was to make a real map, but a top mapper with the right eye can create a thing of beauty out of their head too. The Western Shore (not so much The West Coast) for me is one (one most aren't aware of as it was for FS17 after FS19 was released and isn't on the ModHub). The other that springs immediately to mind is Rennebu, though it's not out yet. Calmsden will probably end up the same, though I'm deliberately avoiding videos of that. They aren't maps, they're interactive works of art.
chedder_farms

Post by chedder_farms »

I like nice small farms that are contained in 1 area. I don't want to drive across the map to feed animals.
Kamiko

Post by Kamiko »

DMZ Commander wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:58 pm
fcdrifter13 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:23 pm
Kamiko wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:52 pm

I know what you mean!

just thinking about it reminded me the old catchy song about joy of buying black tractor (!) - https://youtu.be/eP5wNDeGqLk?t=42

:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:
What did I just witness lol
The latest giants stream
if I could I'd send them this plate, that communists used to put on farms: http://gdziebytudalej.pl/wp-content/upl ... ste....jpg
I think they should put it in a visible place in their office.

It says: "Farmer, give to your cow, the cow will give to you".
Ravenport - 152 hours (platinum trophy)
Bajeczna - 17 hours
fcdrifter13

Post by fcdrifter13 »

Dairydeere wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:02 am
fcdrifter13 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:06 pm
I think the scenery is a big thing for me. Being able to nail things like elevation changes, correct ditch depth, and the perspective you get when actually driving through the countryside. I also enjoy maps I can relate to in some way. An example for me is Autumn Oaks. Just seeing all the beautiful dairy buildings is something that I can relate to from past experiences and know I'll really enjoy the map. Dairy farming is somewhat of a passion of mine :biggrin2: UMRV is another one of my favorite maps, just because of the atmosphere. You have the town down low, then you head up the hills into the countryside. And the beauty of that is you almost have two separate worlds, because the map does such a good job of using the elevation to make it feel bigger than it really is. The only reason I don't play it is because it was converted poorly and has a lot of terrain problems and internal bugs. Been following your Prairie du Chien videos since you started making them, and I'm glad to hear you're still making progress on it. Loving the work *thumbsup*
I think that is why I started on the map. I just like playing it, but some things were wrong with it. I just put out another video on the progress today while I have been off work sick.

Survival Start of The Calm Lands. Currently have built homes for our workers, so we actually get workers.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... H-DmlmlDQT
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

fcdrifter13 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:17 am I think that is why I started on the map. I just like playing it, but some things were wrong with it. I just put out another video on the progress today while I have been off work sick.
Awesome, I can't wait to watch this when I get home :biggrin2:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

I look for the fields.
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

Attention to details, optimization, textures, being a real life location, mod support. And ofc being to able to suit my playstyle which is currently using bigger NA equipment
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

My list of things that detract from a map. If there is too much of this, I am going to give up on the map.
  • Junk on the map that can't be removed, I'm just going to delete them in the editor
  • Prebuilt farms who's buildings can't be removed, I'm just going to delete them in the editor
  • Buried trees, I'm just going to delete them in the editor
  • Fences that can't be removed, I'm just going to delete them in the editor
  • Sell points that are excessively tight to get trucks into and out of
  • Lack of any kind of trees or trees are only decorative trees
Items that will immediately make me quit the map
  • GREL file is not updated meaning that tedding and windrowing hay has several issues
  • Map is completely flat
  • All areas in the map are not purchasable
  • Map errors that cause conflicts