Giants, please make a story.

Natasha

Giants, please make a story.

Post by Natasha »

As a rl organic farmer i recognized "the calling" part in their cutscenes, however farming is not just a calling its a lifestyle and teamwork.

When i played 2019 i did not experience any of that, you are left with some empty plots where you can hire farmers or do it yourself, that is not the same thing as a farming community trust me.

Then i went to multiplayer and while this was much better it still wasn't the same thing.

Because of this i'm hoping my suggestion will reach you for this or your next game. You have the farming and driving part, but there is much more to farming than just tractors and fields, horses, sheeps, goats, dogs, cows, community kitchens that serve the food from the crops grown on the same farm, restaurants making organic food and drinks, shops that sell produce like icecream, meat, diary products and so on.

I know it would be hard to put all this into one game, but a good start is including a story introduction where npc's teach you all there is to know about farming and you get to work for them before you ever think about your own farm.

When you do progress to the part that is your farm employees should be more than just a bot driving a vehicle, make npcs that you can connect with and share the experiences of the game with.

I know there are multiplayer but it's not the same thing as having a story.
DEERE317

Re: Giants, please make a story.

Post by DEERE317 »

Which inherently destroys the sandbox aspect of the game, and “locks” you into a limited directional path of how to play.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

Natasha wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:38 pm but a good start is including a story introduction where npc's teach you all there is to know about farming and you get to work for them before you ever think about your own farm.
No, that would just break the sandbox thing as @DEERE317 said. I largely prefer sandbox, not a story where it I'm forced to be limited by its game. *thumbsdown* Many people prefer roleplaying/sandbox (e.g cops and robbers, roleplaying as a citizen, etc).
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I don't trust giants to teach me how to farm when they haven't figured out the crop texture yet. They will have production in the next game so that is a step in what you want. I for one don't want a story mode. I work with my family and a driver with hire sometimes not the same one. Everyone is different in their experience, so it would be impossible to accommodate everyone.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
ehhole

Post by ehhole »

Natasha, a story mode is a good idea. There are so many games with a story mode and a sandbox mode option.
Some people just like to say no, without giving it any thought. Because they are so quick to say no, they didn't stop to think you meant a story mode as well as the existing sandbox.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I don't think that a story mode is the best addition to the game. As many people have brought up already, the game is a sandbox, which means you are able to make your own story. There are some tutorials and contracts that already make part of a story, but the game was designed for you to build up your farm how you wanted to. I can see how this idea would be good where you can visit houses or buildings around the map that could help/give tutorials on different parts of the game. With a story mode, you are being guided through the game, and in doing so limit what is possible. Every story mode game I have played has always lost my attention very quickly, because it just kept going through the same motions. I think that's the beauty of sandbox games.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Illinois Farmer

Or it would be anther unfinished idea. Ehhole, like you just wrote in the constructive thread. Let's not finish these ideas and make a whole second game. An easier implementation would just being able to interact with the npc to a degree, like dairydeere said.
Last edited by Illinois Farmer on Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

Farming is so different around the world it would be impossible to make something like that appeal to a wide enough base to make it worth the time. You only have to go a couple hundred miles in any direction and farming can change drastically, having a "teaching storyline" just wouldn't be feasible for a global game.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
ehhole

Post by ehhole »

I'd like to see one of the seasoned forum members suggest story mode as a startup option, just to see how many people say Yeah, that is a great idea.
Illinois Farmer

I guarantee everyone that said no now would say no again. That's fine you like it, but not everyone shares the same opinion.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Don't buy a Lego kit, make your own. The story is only as restrictive as your imagination.

As mentioned, productions are coming in FS22 so they may go someway to provide the expansions you want.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

ehhole wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:58 am I'd like to see one of the seasoned forum members suggest story mode as a startup option, just to see how many people say Yeah, that is a great idea.
I don't judge and reply based on how long someone has been at the forums, and I think many other people here can say the same. Also, just because people doesn't agree with you doesn't mean you harass them and bet things would happen different if someone else would suggest it. It's still the same idea.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

oh no a new challenger approaches, honestly a story mode would be sick if it could be modded. One or two stories would take forever to develop but would only offer maybe 40 hours of game play ~ 2 seasons cycles. I could see story writers writing their own 200+ hour stories and releasing them for everyone to play which would be sick.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
lawm

Post by lawm »

I'm kind of lost after reading.....but Put me down as zero interest in story. Zero as in pleasendont waste effort/time on that feature. And if they do make it like madden where I can skip that feature.
JaVaDy

Post by JaVaDy »

I play my own story and use the ability to alter files on PC (e.g. for the money), so I have one or more farms (besides the main farm), a transport company, a logging company and factories. I pay the transport company for redered services, etc.

I'm planning to give this a step up in FS22 and if my feeble brain allows me I will try to make one or more mods to assist me in this adventure.

For me Giants can aim the effords to make the game better and not to accomodate the wishes of every Tom, Dick and Harry. Those three blokes should use threir own fantasy.
Former Xbox One S player, now on PC :-D