What is your silage operation?

How do you chop your haylage/corn silage?

I don't like/need to make silage
3%
Grass - loading wagon or baler
40%
Grass - pull trailer behind chopper
8%
Grass - chopper on worker/Courseplay, player run trailer
8%
Grass - trailers on AutoDrive, player run chopper
No votes
Grass - multiplayer
1%
Grass - hands free automation
3%
Corn - pull trailer behind chopper
12%
Corn - chopper on worker/Courseplay, player run trailer
16%
Corn - trailers on AutoDrive, player run chopper
4%
Corn - multiplayer
1%
Corn - hands free automation
3%

Total votes: 73

Dairydeere

What is your silage operation?

Post by Dairydeere »

How do you chop silage for Farming Simulator? Created a poll with two options so you can choose a grass option and corn option, unless you don't make any silage. I personally like chopping haylage (grass) with a pull type chopper, so I do everything myself besides the tractor sitting at the blower, then for corn silage it's either the pull type again, or on bigger operations I will run the chopper myself and have tractors hauling to and from the farm.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
DEERE317

Re: What is your silage operation?

Post by DEERE317 »

Bale square bales that are wrapped, so far have pulled a chopper box behind a pull type a few times, hope to run some type of courseplay set up with a SPFH sometime.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
ValhallSN95

Post by ValhallSN95 »

We do both grass and corn in multiplayer, me and my mother-in-law's wife run choppers or mowers, and nieces run loading wagons and trailers. My wife, her mom and sister-in-law do the compacting.
Chris Birdsong Wolfforth, TX
Grew up running a 4430 on my granddads farm

Xbox Series X / Xbox Series X / Xbox Series S
FS22 7,545hrs FS19 10,965hrs
FS17 (XB1) 7,910hrs FS17 (PC) 1,297hrs
FS15 7,620hrs FS13 7,877hrs
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

I make grass and wrap it for the silage. I don't do Corn for Silage through.
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

I have tried a couple different paths for silage and this is the most efficient I have been able to come up with without going deep into courseplay.
  • Triple mower or similar that windrows (player, cruise at 18 kph)
  • Large square baler following the mower (bale capacity set to 10k, follow me)
  • Large square bale wrapper following the baler (modded to wrap faster, follow me)
  • Autoload large square bale trailer
  • If using BGA, edit to process a higher volume and to accept silage bales
I don't do corn because it is manpower intensive and has to replanted. I also don't like silage bunkers for the same reason. I've done "loose" silage with a fermenting silo and loading wagons/chopper, but has it turns into a lot of driving.
iw_shawn

Post by iw_shawn »

Playing on Autumn Oaks DFMEP. I’m using a pull type chopper for grass, triticale and corn. I run the chopper, and I use Auto Drive to haul the wagons back to the tower silos.

Once I get more cows and land I will probably upgrade to a self propelled chopper.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I mostly chop corn, but I do bale and wrap a small amount of grass as well. I do all the grass work myself and as for the corn silage, auto drive runs the chopper boxes and courseplay or vanilla workers and I take turns running the chopper while I level the pile off and help get the inevitable lost sheep back on track

Edit: I use a tractor, usually a four wheel drive, with a front blade to level and pack
Last edited by Mwal on Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

I'm also interested to read what people do for unloading the bunker.
I really like using a wheel loader manually (using wheel and joysticks), but it gets too repetitive for 2mil litres of silage.
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

I use AutoDrive or Courseplay for that. Both works pretty fine with the latest versions.
enigmqtik

Post by enigmqtik »

george.earlslight wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:52 am I'm also interested to read what people do for unloading the bunker.
I really like using a wheel loader manually (using wheel and joysticks), but it gets too repetitive for 2mil litres of silage.
Hi :hi:

I do that too as I have a similar setup to yours.
When I'm bored and playing solo, I pick a Grimme conveyor belt with a smaller one, and fill a large trailer with it to help.
In a hurry I make a path of conveyor from the bunker into the BGA plant.

Cheers.
AMD R9 5900x (@4.9GHz) + NHD15, 32GB DDR4 G.SKill Ripjaws 3600 CL16, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3070 OC, nVme 980Pro 1To, Seasonic 850Gold in a Corsair 900D.
T500RS, CSPV3, TH8A +SKRS Shifter, 2x T16000M.FCS, DelanClip IR tracker, SimDashBoard, Sony Bravia 42"
dapals51

Post by dapals51 »

Largest chopper available. 2 of Largest semi trailer available. 1 hooked on a dolly with chopper pulling hired worker. Another with semi running to dump. Unhook trailer and swap. Chopper almost always going. 1 person
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!
lawm

Post by lawm »

I chose the grass loading trailer and pull behind chopper. That's the preferred methods but I can see myself using all the console options at some point. Everyone who says auto drive makes me jealous
Motologist

Post by Motologist »

I'm running a small self propelled silage chopper pulling a silage box. The grass is through a pickup head, it's pretty rare I direct chop anything other than corn.

I unload my bunkers using the Liebherr 622 with the CSZ silage fork (12,000l.) The maneuverability is hard to beat and it handles pretty well with a couple adjustments on PC.
Frozen Catalyst

Post by Frozen Catalyst »

Normally, bales.
Xbox One |FS22| Holmåkra
NDDan

Post by NDDan »

I automate everything with courseplay. Sometimes I bale it with the Kuhn baler/wrapper. But usually I run a swath dropping mower. Loading wagons use the mower route plus delivery to bunkers. I sometimes have 6 tractors running on courseplay to do it all. 2 mowers, 3 loading wagons, and a compactor in the bunker.
There’s no place like utopia.