FS22 Performance

TheSarkY

FS22 Performance

Post by TheSarkY »

Hello.
Since i have poor performance with decent pc in fs19 im wondering if FS22 is gonna use more than one core? its about time, its 2021 every game should use more cores.
Dairydeere

Re: FS22 Performance

Post by Dairydeere »

I think FS22 is going to have multi-core support, but feel free to correct me as I don’t know for sure
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
TheSarkY

Post by TheSarkY »

Dairydeere wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:54 am I think FS22 is going to have multi-core support, but feel free to correct me as I don’t know for sure
I dont think anyone knows yet. So im hoping Giants can tell us something about it before game comes out.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

FS19 already uses more than one core, but apparently not especially well. Stegei says FS19 can fully utilise 3 cores in specific scenarios and 1.5 to 2 cores usually.
Stegei wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:27 pm As for the number of thread used. FS19 was developed with dual core CPUs still making up about 40% of the PCs in use, and about 40% with 4 cores. Dependent on the workload, FS19 can use up to about 3 cores fully and about 1.5-2 cores in the average case (if not GPU bound, which is actually the most regular case). The console version (due to the more low level access to the hardware), usually fully utilizes about 3-4 cores.
We are of course developing our tech further to use more cores to also move along with the trend of the players' hardware (although more than 70% of the PC players still don't have more than 4 cores).

I can't work out where the bottleneck is in my system. For some reason upping most of the graphics settings quickly drops performance, yet the GPU (RTX 3060 TI in my case) isn't breaking a sweat (only around 50% usage). The only setting that seems to make it really work is increasing the "Resolution Scaling" option (which makes vehicles especially look nice to be fair, but does little for the environment). Increasing the options in the Advanced Graphics Settings improves graphics and loses performance yet doesn't seem to make either the GPU or CPU work any harder.

It's odd, as even with a really old system (my second PC consisting of a CPU over a decade old (i7 920) and a GPU not much younger (GTX 670)) performance is decent - I just had to drop the resolution to around 2400x1300 (from my native 2560x1440) and dial down some of the settings (though most were still around medium).

I'll say FS19 is optimised OK in that performance on such old hardware is good, more that it's unable to make use of much faster modern hardware.

We'll see what FS22 does though. They've added some performance increasing features, including better multi-threaded improvements - I might as well quote the article:
And performance? That's going to improve, too: DirectX 12 support for Windows, multi-threading optimization, texture streaming, occlusion culling and temporal anti-aliasing amidst other optimizations will give Farming Simulator 22 a boost on all systems - laying the foundation for even more complex mod customization and even pushing the limits of last-gen consoles to enjoy with improved slot usage.
Though that same article mentions some other things we've not even seen a hint of yet ("more realistic AI behavior and richer worlds"), so your guess is as good as mine. Minimum requirements have gone up from 2-core CPUs to 4-core though, so it's probably fair to say that CPU performance has been tweaked as they wouldn't cut off potential customers by having unnecessarily high minimum requirements. Some of that CPU performance is probably needed for the new sound system.
TheSarkY

Post by TheSarkY »

this_is_gav wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:16 am FS19 already uses more than one core, but apparently not especially well. Stegei says FS19 can fully utilise 3 cores in specific scenarios and 1.5 to 2 cores usually.
Stegei wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:27 pm As for the number of thread used. FS19 was developed with dual core CPUs still making up about 40% of the PCs in use, and about 40% with 4 cores. Dependent on the workload, FS19 can use up to about 3 cores fully and about 1.5-2 cores in the average case (if not GPU bound, which is actually the most regular case). The console version (due to the more low level access to the hardware), usually fully utilizes about 3-4 cores.
We are of course developing our tech further to use more cores to also move along with the trend of the players' hardware (although more than 70% of the PC players still don't have more than 4 cores).
You are wrong, atleast in my case. I can send you data if you want. My cpu is far from best but it's not that bad either, ryzen 5 1500x. And my fs19 uses only one core, so utilization of cpu is 25-30%. I tried all kind of settings but nothing works.

I saw dx12 coming but I guess I missed multi-threading.

Edit don_apple: fixed broken quoting.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

If CPU utilisation is ever more than 25% then it's using more than 1 core, which yours is. It depends on how you're measuring it too and whether the OS sees logical processors as cores too, which Windows 10 does (I don't know about Windows 11 yet).
TheSarkY

Post by TheSarkY »

this_is_gav wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:00 pm If CPU utilisation is ever more than 25% then it's using more than 1 core, which yours is. It depends on how you're measuring it too and whether the OS sees logical processors as cores too, which Windows 10 does (I don't know about Windows 11 yet).
im telling you that it does not use more than 1. and as i said i can send you data if you dont believe me, there are other games more demanding yet i run them fine on higher settings but FS is exception. and i said it uses 25% to 30% total cpu with windows and everything not just game.
And windows sees threads as threads and cores as cores, im not sure how much you know about that but alright.

george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

TheSarkY wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:23 pm im telling you that it does not use more than 1.
How can you tell that it uses 1 from what you posted?
Not trying to argue, I just don't see where you see 1.
TheSarkY

Post by TheSarkY »

george.earlslight wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:25 pm
TheSarkY wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:23 pm im telling you that it does not use more than 1.
How can you tell that it uses 1 from what you posted?
Not trying to argue, I just don't see where you see 1.
on right side you have cpu 0-7 those are threads, one core is 2 threads and as you can see one is used almost fully and another is used maybe half rest are idle, so 2 threads- 1 core

to make it even more easy look at cpu 6 and cpu 0

EDIT: i made a screenshot of other game while i was playing so you can see how it should be.
george.earlslight

TheSarkY wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:14 pm
on right side you have cpu 0-7 those are threads, one core is 2 threads and as you can see one is used almost fully and another is used maybe half rest are idle, so 2 threads- 1 core

to make it even more easy look at cpu 6 and cpu 0
Thanks for the explanation.
So, the first image shows that thread 6 has high load (if about 60% avg is considered high) and thread 0 is about 40% avg loaded?
I guess that's what Stegei was writting about 1.5 core?

Obviously the other game you posted has better CPU utilization.
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

To me this looks like you're neither CPU nor GPU bound.
If you are CPU bound, one of the threads will reach a 100% load, but thats not the case.
Also if you are GPU bound, you should see much higher GPU loads, somewhere around 70-80% usually means that the GPU is the limit.

The most likely reason for your low FPS is the VRAM usage. If the requested VRAM memory exceeds what is available on the GPU, the OS/driver will start moving some of that memory to the RAM, which makes everything a lot slower.
You can experiment with the "Texture Quality" setting to figure out if this is the case. It will make everything a lot blurrier but it can fix those performance issues when using memory wasting mods (or just a lot of them). Also reducing the render resolution can help.
george.earlslight

Stegei wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:57 am The most likely reason for your low FPS is the VRAM usage. If the requested VRAM memory exceeds what is available on the GPU, the OS/driver will start moving some of that memory to the RAM, which makes everything a lot slower.
This is interesting, thanks for the insight.
It makes a lot of sense and it's something I I've never thought of.

I'll do some testing home with resolution, maps and mods to see how VRAM (or lack of it) correlates with performance.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Stegei wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:57 am The most likely reason for your low FPS is the VRAM usage. If the requested VRAM memory exceeds what is available on the GPU, the OS/driver will start moving some of that memory to the RAM, which makes everything a lot slower.
You can experiment with the "Texture Quality" setting to figure out if this is the case. It will make everything a lot blurrier but it can fix those performance issues when using memory wasting mods (or just a lot of them). Also reducing the render resolution can help.
Ah good spot in the TheSarkY's case. His system is maxing out his 6GB VRAM, so it's not CPU performance that's restricting him.
TheSarkY

Post by TheSarkY »

george.earlslight wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 am Thanks for the explanation.
So, the first image shows that thread 6 has high load (if about 60% avg is considered high) and thread 0 is about 40% avg loaded?
I guess that's what Stegei was writting about 1.5 core?

Obviously the other game you posted has better CPU utilization.
It's a bit more load but yes, no it is not 1.5 core because 2 threads are 1 core.
Stegei wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:57 am To me this looks like you're neither CPU nor GPU bound.
If you are CPU bound, one of the threads will reach a 100% load, but thats not the case.
Also if you are GPU bound, you should see much higher GPU loads, somewhere around 70-80% usually means that the GPU is the limit.

The most likely reason for your low FPS is the VRAM usage. If the requested VRAM memory exceeds what is available on the GPU, the OS/driver will start moving some of that memory to the RAM, which makes everything a lot slower.
Yes I have noticed VRAM but also RAM is used like 8gb only for FS but after some time it goes down to 2gb. you give me something to try, because I tried all kind of settings but I don't know which ones are using which resources. I will try changing today and edit this post with results.

EDIT: I dont know what to say. Thank you Stegei. i spent days trying everything and i could not figure out what was problem now that you pointed me to textures i managed to change some things and now its so much better, ofcourse textures are worse now but i have so much higher fps now.
I would suggest that in fs22 (i know its a bit late now) you add description at display options with small letters to tell if that setting uses cpu or gpu or what ever. it would help people troubleshoot their performance problems.

Game still uses one core but we know that already, if FS22 uses more i think ill have much better performance.
Screenshot is of game at 60-80FPS with some settings increased so game looks decent. if i lower down everything then my fps is around 160 or even more. But i think Preset setting is not just for changing all settings to low medium high but actually changing something more.

We went offtopic on this post to technical difficulties and fs19 and im sorry for that. I was just wondering if FS22 will be better since its around corner :)

Edit don_apple: fixed quoting
george.earlslight

TheSarkY wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:43 am It's a bit more load but yes, no it is not 1.5 core because 2 threads are 1 core.
Quite certainly Stegei refered to cores in context of soft-cores/logical processors/threads.
One core doesn't always mean 2 threads, it depends on CPU architecture, as you probably already know.
Unfortunately the term thread is often misused and also having OS/Application threads worsens the situation.

I'm glad you managed to increase your FPS, I'll also do some testing when back home.