The hired help in 22

this_is_gav

Re: The hired help in 22

Post by this_is_gav »

FarmBoss wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:51 am Giving us a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and expecting the modders to fill the gaps is starting to get noticed even by the diehard defenders.
To be fair there are signs recently that that stance is starting to break. Things like the seasons length was expected to be a case of "modders will have to fix it", yet GIANTS have done it themselves and then some. And for the first time in a long time (perhaps ever) they're openly requesting constructive feedback and, for FS22 at least, have started acting on that. Hopefully going forward such community interaction is only increased.

FS22 was never going to be a massive change, despite the extra year compared to normal. Whether they intended that or not, as things turned out slow console rollout, chip shortages, recessions, working from home and so on meant it was always likely to be more of a sideways step than a forward one, albeit with some much needed and welcome changes (eg the gearboxes and sounds). I hope it's more a case of implementing technical features under the hood which will allow the following game to have a much needed rocket up the proverbial if they can finally lose the shackles of decade old hardware and start pushing instead.

Going forward there needs to be more focus on the environment (not just colours, but depth, size and richness), terrain and gameplay elements (that doesn't necessarily mean less focus on vehicles and equipment). The equipment looks stunning and to be fair has for some time now, but how great they look emphasises how dated the rest of the game looks and plays.

We've still got elements and traits all the way back to the birth of FS 13 years ago that really need to be reassessed or approached in a new way. The following game will see the two decade anniversary since FS2008's release!
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

george.earlslight wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:28 am
BulletBill wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:04 am
I guess the issue GIANTS have is consoles... without a mouse or keyboard, it limits how they can implement it an awful lot.
The same excuse was circulating concerning manual gears/groups, but here we are with FS22 having gears.
I think it's only about spending the time to implement this, or maybe a conscious decision as to not automate the game too much.

It's hard to imagine that Giants can't write a competent AI driver, when Courseplay can do it with 1-2 talented developers.
I understand where your coming from, but the actual physical act of changing gears can easily be added to the console controller.

Whereas having a more complex AI system which allowed you to modify what you wanted the worker to do exactly would have to require some form of cursor interaction.

As was mention some form of command wheel would seem to be the logical choice going forwards.

But I agree with Gav, I wouldn't want something as complex as Courseplay, which although very clever, just feels frustratingly complex, time consuming and generally just frustrating to use. (Personal opinion *thumbsup* )

Whatever GIANTS do needs to hit that middle ground really so that it doesn't put off the casual players, but is enough for most hardcore players until Courseplay or something similar gets made as a mod.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

I found this over on the German forum and the Quote from the comments about the AI doesn't fill me full of confidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlFOLtVKZxY

Question 4) Topic helper: The elephant in the room is and remains the AI Worker menu since the FarmCon discovered you silent about it, what is the current status, is the feature still in the game at all?

👉 Yes I know there is a lot of interest, unfortunately I still can't give any details about it but the fact is the feature is in the game and won't fly out anymore, however we don't have many resources to present the feature properly at the moment, so it might be that we won't talk about it or show this feature before the release of FS22 but it can still be used in the game, I'm still trying to create a possibility that we can present the AI Worker menu in a blog post.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

norfolk farmer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:11 pm I found this over on the German forum and the Quote from the comments about the AI doesn't fill me full of confidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlFOLtVKZxY

Question 4) Topic helper: The elephant in the room is and remains the AI Worker menu since the FarmCon discovered you silent about it, what is the current status, is the feature still in the game at all?

👉 Yes I know there is a lot of interest, unfortunately I still can't give any details about it but the fact is the feature is in the game and won't fly out anymore, however we don't have many resources to present the feature properly at the moment, so it might be that we won't talk about it or show this feature before the release of FS22 but it can still be used in the game, I'm still trying to create a possibility that we can present the AI Worker menu in a blog post.
And dated 27th October, so no time left :(
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Yep, it was an interview done last night by the looks of it.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

If they didn't have a blog planned then I think we can assume that any AI improvements are so small that they aren't worth mentioning. *thumbsdown*

It's no wonder they didn't want GamesStar.de to mention the hired helpers.
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

This kinda suchs
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

It doesn't look promising hopefully no major changes will prevent Autodrive ,Courseplay and Follow Me appearing in the near future, obviously this is no solution for the console players.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Just goes to show they should have concentrated on the basics, enviroment, physics, AI etc instead of adding more vehicles and production stuff.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

100% *thumbsup*
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

norfolk farmer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:10 pm It doesn't look promising hopefully no major changes will prevent Autodrive ,Courseplay and Follow Me appearing in the near future, obviously this is no solution for the console players.
Afaik we lost decker so no follow me for fs22
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

njuska11 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:05 pm
norfolk farmer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:10 pm It doesn't look promising hopefully no major changes will prevent Autodrive ,Courseplay and Follow Me appearing in the near future, obviously this is no solution for the console players.
Afaik we lost decker so no follow me for fs22
I wasn't aware of that, maybe somebody else may take it over or create their own version which I think happened with a few script mods from 17 over to 19.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

TheSuBBie wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:43 pm Just goes to show they should have concentrated on the basics, enviroment, physics, AI etc instead of adding more vehicles and production stuff.
Looking at the Elm Creek trailer today, I think they did a good job with making the environment look much better; it looks much better than what we've seen for 19. Physics haven't been showcased much so that's still something we have yet to see (unless I am missing some footage or blog post). AI seems to be the thing they have touched on the least.

I'm not sure what I think about the lack of AI information. On one hand, it's disappointing they have not given any information regarding workers, but on the other hand, I don't use AI that much unless it's a very large farm (doesn't happen a lot to me), so the basegame AI has been more than sufficient in most cases.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
banzaiman

Post by banzaiman »

I guess they could include it and then work on it after release and bring us a patch.
Decker_MMIV

Post by Decker_MMIV »

njuska11 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:05 pm Afaik we lost decker so no follow me for fs22
Oh? :hmm:

I am getting older, but have not completely "left the stage".