Graphics performance in FS22

Richard Dower

Graphics performance in FS22

Post by Richard Dower »

With the imminent release of Farming Simulator 22 and with the global GPU shortage many of us will have to run FS22 with their current graphics card.

In my case it's an ROG Strix 2070 Super OC, with the stated graphics improvements in FS22 I am concerned about performance and if my GPU will handle 1440p at 60FPS with all quality settings set to max.

Giants should give us a clearer idea as to what GPU class can handle the stated settings above, and for those running 4k or ultra wide etc.

They should list 1080p, 1440p and 4k resolution at 60FPS and if graphics settings are set to low, medium, high, ultra and so on.

We definitely need more information from Giants on this topic.
Gormett

Re: Graphics performance in FS22

Post by Gormett »

Here's the performance on an uknown RTX card @ 4K. Bear in mind this is a marketing video, not a benchmark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3judu8lLqo

(If someone knows how to embed video here, hmu)
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

This seems like a big ask. Does any game studio publish the differential system requirements for a game at every resolution setting and at every graphics setting? That is a lot of combinations. I've only ever seen the minimum and recommended specs published for a game.

The min spec from 19 to 22 is only increasing from a GTX 650 to a GTX 660, which in benchmark numbers is roughly doubled from 1800 to 4000. Your 2070 benchmarks at 16000, so you're going from 8x the minimum spec to 4x the minimum spec. It is going to run the game very well, no matter how you slice it.
chris_va

Post by chris_va »

I too would appreciate any advice on GPU upgrades. I currently have an i7-6700 with a Founders Edition GTX1080.

I have decent performance with FS17 & 19 at 2560x1440 & fair to poor performance at 3840x2160. If I stay at HD, then for the most part it is what I consider "great". By this, i mean I have mostly max settings and get 50-60fps unless i have a lot of mods/bales and Courseplay workers and looking directly at where my main farm is. Then it dips into upper 30's and lower 40's. At this point i say it is unplayable and look for ways to improve it. This is also playing with mod maps and a lot of mod equipment (some of unknown quality i am sure). Using a Samsung Q70T TV as the monitor

I would LOVE some advice. I am looking into a new setup, but wonder if it is worth the close to $3,000 it will take to get setup with a good water-cooled i7-11700 and some type of GTX3080 with known-quality MB, power supply, etc. If I spend the money to get a GTX 3070TI or 3080, will all my FPS issues go away and I can stay locked at 60fps with basically any map/mods??? If the answer is "no, there will always be FPS issues with FS due to poorly designed mods and maps", then I may just stick with what I've got for now and wait for some time before I spend that stupid amount of money. I really don't play any other games outside of FS and some VR and dare I admit, most of the Lego adventures :D

Thank you for any advice here,
Chris
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

DirectCedar wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:11 pm This seems like a big ask. Does any game studio publish the differential system requirements for a game at every resolution setting and at every graphics setting? That is a lot of combinations. I've only ever seen the minimum and recommended specs published for a game.

The min spec from 19 to 22 is only increasing from a GTX 650 to a GTX 660, which in benchmark numbers is roughly doubled from 1800 to 4000. Your 2070 benchmarks at 16000, so you're going from 8x the minimum spec to 4x the minimum spec. It is going to run the game very well, no matter how you slice it.
You beat me to it. And no, no game studio publishes performance settings at every resolution for a game. There are way to many variables as very few computers are built using the same specs. For example the OP only says his graphics card but does not mention any other of his system specs. How much RAM, what CPU, hard disk (SSD, NVME, SATA) will also effect performance.
The recommended specs are;
RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5-5675C or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 1060 or Radeon RX 570 or better (min 6GB VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 35 GB available space
Sound Card: Sound card
Additional Notes: These system requirements can´t cover all possible system configurations so issues could occur that influence the functionality in some cases.

As you say he's got a 2070 OC which beats the recommended specs let alone the minimum so he should have no problems.
Finally it's a "simulator" so getting 120fps instead of 60fps isn't a big deal except for bragging rights.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
MagicBoy

Post by MagicBoy »

I'm not quite sure why people with 2070 and 1080s are worrying! :confusednew:

Min spec is a GTX 660.

FS19 graphics performance is mostly CPU bound on cards of that sort of spec.FS22 is going DX12,which has less overheads It supports FSR, and apparently if the hidden Nvidia video is correct DLSS. You're going to get a decent experience whatever, sticking a RTX 3090 in won't be necessary!
Guil

Post by Guil »

Gormett wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:30 pm Here's the performance on an uknown RTX card @ 4K. Bear in mind this is a marketing video, not a benchmark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3judu8lLqo

(If someone knows how to embed video here, hmu)
Go to edit your post and click the last icon over the text box, it will create youtube tags. From the link you posted, copy everything after = and post it in between the ] and [

this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

I wonder if Nvidia's video is an indication that unlocked FPS is supported now or whether it was just for Nvidia's technical demonstration. Obviously it's possible in FS19 by disabling vsync and enabling the dev console, but GIANTS don't support that officially, saying weird things can happen (probably just a safety net as I've never seen anything when testing and I know some who have it permanently disabled).

Personally I'll keep it locked at 60FPS. Of all the games needing 120+ FPS, FS would be a long way down the list. I appreciate it might look stuttery to those used to playing at high FPS on gaming monitors, but personally I'm happy to stick to 60FPS and not have the graphics card screaming at me.

MagicBoy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:14 pm FS19 graphics performance is mostly CPU bound on cards of that sort of spec.FS22 is going DX12,which has less overheads It supports FSR, and apparently if the hidden Nvidia video is correct DLSS.
FSR isn't official yet. AMD have listed it, but GIANTS haven't said a word as far as I know. We expect it, but it (presumably still is with DLSS) an Nvidia-supported game. Not that FSR is limited to AMD (should also work for those with Nvidia cards which can't do DLSS), but I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say it's a certainty, only that, as far as we know, FS22 supports FSR.

The Nvidia video isn't hidden. It's embedded in their release notes for these drivers. They probably just don't deem it significant enough to clog up their video list.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

chris_va wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:34 pm I too would appreciate any advice on GPU upgrades. I currently have an i7-6700 with a Founders Edition GTX1080.

I have decent performance with FS17 & 19 at 2560x1440 & fair to poor performance at 3840x2160. If I stay at HD, then for the most part it is what I consider "great". By this, i mean I have mostly max settings and get 50-60fps unless i have a lot of mods/bales and Courseplay workers and looking directly at where my main farm is. Then it dips into upper 30's and lower 40's. At this point i say it is unplayable and look for ways to improve it. This is also playing with mod maps and a lot of mod equipment (some of unknown quality i am sure). Using a Samsung Q70T TV as the monitor

I would LOVE some advice. I am looking into a new setup, but wonder if it is worth the close to $3,000 it will take to get setup with a good water-cooled i7-11700 and some type of GTX3080 with known-quality MB, power supply, etc. If I spend the money to get a GTX 3070TI or 3080, will all my FPS issues go away and I can stay locked at 60fps with basically any map/mods??? If the answer is "no, there will always be FPS issues with FS due to poorly designed mods and maps", then I may just stick with what I've got for now and wait for some time before I spend that stupid amount of money. I really don't play any other games outside of FS and some VR and dare I admit, most of the Lego adventures :D

Thank you for any advice here,
Chris
For what it's worth many studies have concluded that the human eye can only make out between 24-6ofps, so upper 30's to lower 40's isn't really that bad. Most youtube video's are running at 30fps and to most seem perfectly smooth. Now if you're getting stuttering and lag periodically, it may be because of something else, like things loading in the background.
Secondly Do Not buy a high end GPU right now. Most places are selling them for 2-3 times the MSRP, or more. Any of the sites like Jay'sTwoCents or Linus Tech Tips will tell you now is not the time to buy a new GPU. Now is a really sad time for the GPU market.
You may benefit by adding a bit more ram (you don't mention what you have). And you also don't mention what your game play setting are, but I'm assuming you're running on max everything. You could try turning them down a bit and that will help. Hardware Unboxed has a really good article on the difference between graphics settings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inF-z_Td9YQ&t=915s
Finally also remember that FS22 is supposed to be better optimized than FS 19 so I'd wait to see how it runs on your PC before making the decision to spend thousands on a new overpriced GPU. A CPU/RAM/MB update might be worth it as FS is fairly CPU bound.
MagicBoy

Post by MagicBoy »

this_is_gav wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:34 pm I wonder if Nvidia's video is an indication that unlocked FPS is supported now or whether it was just for Nvidia's technical demonstration. Obviously it's possible in FS19 by disabling vsync and enabling the dev console, but GIANTS don't support that officially, saying weird things can happen (probably just a safety net as I've never seen anything when testing and I know some who have it permanently disabled).

Personally I'll keep it locked at 60FPS. Of all the games needing 120+ FPS, FS would be a long way down the list. I appreciate it might look stuttery to those used to playing at high FPS on gaming monitors, but personally I'm happy to stick to 60FPS and not have the graphics card screaming at me.

MagicBoy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:14 pm FS19 graphics performance is mostly CPU bound on cards of that sort of spec.FS22 is going DX12,which has less overheads It supports FSR, and apparently if the hidden Nvidia video is correct DLSS.
FSR isn't official yet. AMD have listed it, but GIANTS haven't said a word as far as I know. We expect it, but it (presumably still is with DLSS) an Nvidia-supported game. Not that FSR is limited to AMD (should also work for those with Nvidia cards which can't do DLSS), but I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say it's a certainty, only that, as far as we know, FS22 supports FSR.

The Nvidia video isn't hidden. It's embedded in their release notes for these drivers. They probably just don't deem it significant enough to clog up their video list.
AMD listed FSR support, so I'm calling official. It's their technology after all. As for hidden/private on YouTube- you knew well what I meant. Have some internet points for nitpicking.

Not quite sure what this is adding to the discussion, but so be it.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

MagicBoy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:33 pm AMD listed FSR support, so I'm calling official. It's their technology after all. As for hidden/private on YouTube- you knew well what I meant. Have some internet points for nitpicking.
:rolleyesnew:

I'll wait until I see it in the game. DLSS is all-but-confirmed, given Nvidia have shown physical evidence of it, but FSR, we only have a single mention from, what, half a year ago and not one word since?

If they've implemented DLSS then given FSR is much easier to implement then it's almost certain too, but I'm not going to state 100% that it's true - if only because FS has been an Nvidia-supported game from FS2011 at least.
Gormett

Post by Gormett »

deerefarm wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:41 pmFor what it's worth many studies have concluded that the human eye can only make out between 24-6ofps, so upper 30's to lower 40's isn't really that bad.
If that were true there would be no market for screens with +60Hz refresh rate and I'm sure, humans can tell when something runs at 24 or 5 FPS
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

Gormett wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:31 am
deerefarm wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:41 pmFor what it's worth many studies have concluded that the human eye can only make out between 24-6ofps, so upper 30's to lower 40's isn't really that bad.
If that were true there would be no market for screens with +60Hz refresh rate and I'm sure, humans can tell when something runs at 24 or 5 FPS
First yes the human eye can detect a difference between 5 or 24 fps. It's kind of like that old flip book with pictures drawn on it sequentially. The faster you flip the pages the smoother the image. But up to a point then it just becomes a blur of pages. Hz refers to the number of times a second the tv updates a picture. TV movies are typically recorded at 24-30fps and this has been the standard for years. If you watch the original Jurassic Parc it seems just as smooth as A New World even though they were filmed years apart. What's different is the resolution they were filmed in. So new HD films look crisper and cleaner but still play at the same speed. 29.97 fps X 2 fields which equals 59.94Hz in classic terms. A 120 hz monitor/TV will double the sample size and update the picture twice as often but is still displaying the same 30fps.
With high refresh rate monitors and high FPS games i.e. 120fps on 120 hz what's happening is the input time between updates is less, thus updating the picture every single frame the graphics card puts out. So 60fps on a 120hz monitor has the picture updated 2X.
Now if you work in reverse a 120fps displayed on a 60hz monitor will have the monitor missing 1 out of 2 frames and will look blurry because of the missing frames.
You'll often hear of reviewers talking about a high end monitor being bottlenecked by a low hz monitor.
FarmerLee73

Post by FarmerLee73 »

I have a GTX1080TI which I guess is considered outdated (like me!). I can't see any need to update?..Or should I? Can't say I even notice a difference when I change a games setting from high to ultra so I think it would be wasted money for me.
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

I have Ryzen 7 3700x and GTX 1080.
I would not worry about game performance, if the game stays optimized.
1080ti is 25-30% faster than 1080, so you should be good for 1440p 60+fps High-Very High.