Hyper-slow growth, 0 fun, dead game

this_is_gav

Re: Hyper-slow growth, 0 fun, dead game

Post by this_is_gav »

I agree with the OP to a degree. With and without seasonal cycles the game is very slow paced compared to previous games. Crops still take multiple days to grow and on "new farmer" (on Elmcreek with the standard farm) you can skip time to 9am in the morning and have all your work done by 9:30am, then it's back to skipping multiple days until you can harvest again.

It's a risk with casual players. If they get bored of skipping day after day then the chances of them buying future FS content (DLCs and the following games) would decrease massively.

Iconia Star wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:45 am If Giants really does "own" the mods created, I'd like to direct your attention to ModHub. Check ANY mod for details and you'll see a disclaimer in small print on the top right.
If GIANTS see a mod and think "that's a good idea, we should include something like that in the base game", then they aren't just taking the modder's code and pasting it into the game. It is coded from the ground up by GIANTS themselves.
Quity

Post by Quity »

This is not the problem... stop asking for useless stuff... having a very fast grow time will only get you bored since you only do the same thing over and over again. For me the problem is the fact that we need to have more things to do when waiting for crops, the introduction of productions is not enough, and are not so fun to play with. They need to introduce new gameplay mechanics.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Quity wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:00 pm This is not the problem... stop asking for useless stuff... having a very fast grow time will only get you bored since you only do the same thing over and over again.
That's your stance, but not everyone's. The growth model is one of the reasons why they moved from an indie game with a couple of devs to a game which sells more than 2 million copies.

I agree on the lack of gameplay elements though. It would be a much more rounded game if there were other farming tasks to do in quieter periods.
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - all we need is an option to skip to a precise date, not just to the next day. This will fix all this mess in one swoop.
snyperal

Post by snyperal »

Ooh that could be fun if you forget to off hire something.
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

Yes, I'm cognisant of potential issues here, but keeping track of our chores and leases is squarely on us. I suppose they could throw in a reminder pop-up that we have an outstanding lease before committing.
Iconia Star

Post by Iconia Star »

this_is_gav wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:45 am

If GIANTS see a mod and think "that's a good idea, we should include something like that in the base game", then they aren't just taking the modder's code and pasting it into the game. It is coded from the ground up by GIANTS themselves.
You're close but not quite correct. Remember that the disclaimer itself states "...or part of..." when discussing mods.

Most of the mods that were included as part of the base game operate in EXACTLY the same way. The rest are just very similar. Which means that parts of some mods and all of others are being used. The code doesn't change just because Giants types it. It's a case of "do as I say, not as I do." Giants are quite happy to say "you're not allowed to use other people's work, but we're quite happy to.

But remember what I said. Adding things to the main game that some players want or like from mods is a good practice. Credit should be given to the original creators and we SHOULD be given the opportunity to turn off the parts we don't want so that we can personalize the game to our liking. Don't want to spend ten months waiting for wheat to grow? Here have the three day cycle back till you're stores are filled and your pigs and chickens are well fed. Then you can go back to the ten month cycle later if you want.

I play the game to vegetate for a while. To take a break from the other games that I play where I'm killing everything that moves or trying to be first in a race. It's relaxing for me. I don't want it to be a full-time job. If I did, I'd have real life for that. It's the reason I spent six hours a day driving a truck across Europe while I waited for FS22 to be released.

I like the idea That Mackintosh used, by the way about being able to skip to a specific day rather than having to repeatedly press the sleep button. Maybe we'll see that as a mod soon.

Unfortunately, most of the contracts (fertilizing, ploughing (I think that's plowing to the Americans,) cultivating etc.)are spread out over the months so for those working on the helper trophy still have to check for new contracts before they skip every day. Once we have that trophy then yeah. Skip the entire winter just miss out on the snow. Though I've had the deep snow twice since I brought it up. Both times I took a few steps and it disappeared :(
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

mackintosh wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:33 pm I've said it before, and I'll say it again - all we need is an option to skip to a precise date, not just to the next day. This will fix all this mess in one swoop.
It sounds like a reasonable solution. It could be useful to any player, not just those looking to skip straight to harvest. You should suggest it to the devs. They are the only ones in a position to say whether or not it could be made to work.

I suspect the 'speeding up crop growth option' would be a non-runner. Crop growth rate is no longer an independent variable - it's all now tied into a wider economy supporting the production chains.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Iconia Star wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:33 pm Most of the mods that were included as part of the base game operate in EXACTLY the same way. The rest are just very similar. Which means that parts of some mods and all of others are being used.
You can't throw around accusations like that without having any evidence to back it up.

Which mods are "exactly" the same?
Last edited by this_is_gav on Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedJester

Post by RedJester »

Seasons was a mod that allowed some players to add elements to FS that they felt were missing and helped to improve the game for them. And while some players appreciated it on their maps and playstyles I don't believe it was a good idea to include it as a default for the base game itself or build crop cycles around it. I am happy Giants was listening to the fanbase but just because most fans want a game flow changing mod like Seasons does not mean all fans want it. Making it default with no ability to completely turn it off was a mistake. Different strokes for different folks. I loved running dairy farms in FS19 and ran Seasons in almost all my maps when I found it, but in my game right now I just want to do custom harvesting(field flipping) until I build some bank. Without having an option to return to "FS Classic" mode of crop growth, it is a bit tedious to harvest 2 fields then wait 2-3 days to wait for another to come up to harvest.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Iconia Star wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:45 am
Seasons
Global Company
Crow sound effects
GPS
Almost all of the new machinery
Greenhouses
Solar panels and wind turbines

Another that I didn't mention: Multiple contracts

There may be more that I haven't noticed yet.
Seasons: already told you 1 of reslimus team works for giants pretty easy to see that

Global company- I would bet the productions is based more on what shabba did than global company considering you don't need global company to run the production. They probably did like that idea and rewrote a code. Not steal the mod.

Crow sounds effects: bird sound effects were in fs19. No proof they took it from a modder

Almost all new machinery: this is really dumb. Giants get told by the manufacturers what to make and get the specs from them. They are built from the ground up. If you look at the 8rx or x9 they are different from siids. Also I didn't know modders came up with new tractor design. It is like the companies made them up theirs selfs. Do you get mad when a modder takes a base game tractor and expands it?

Greenhouses: this is funny as well. Greenhouses have been base created by Giants for a long time except for 19. Some reason Giants didn't include so modders took the base stuff to create them as mods in 19.

Solar panels and wind turbines used to be base game as well like the Greenhouses.

Multiple contacts: the users complained it wasn't in base game in 19, so once again they wrote the code for it.

You don't need to write a damn essay about nonsense in every reply as well. Where do modders get a lot of their ideas on machinery, buildings, features, etc? Does it come from thin air, the game, real life experiences? If so and by using your dumb logic aren't modders stealing from the people that created the object irl or farm from irl people? See how dumb that statement sounds. That's your logic.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

Peeps, you do realise GIANTS have been hiring out of the community for years, right? We have quite a few ex-modders on their team - that is unless they haven't left for greener pastures. Some of these hiring choices were undoubtedly acquisitions of ideas, too.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

RedJester wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:09 pm I am happy Giants was listening to the fanbase but just because most fans want a game flow changing mod like Seasons does not mean all fans want it.
This sums up my feelings too. I've played exclusively with seasons since it was first available in 17. I love everything Realismus has done and wish they had time to bring even more of their fantastic ideas to life. I want even more realism and agronomy and soil mechanics and equipment maintenance and detailed operation (basically I want Kettul und Krops except with the FS maps and mods and playerbase :biggrin2: ). HOWEVER that's me and some percentage of the total player base. Many or most players, I think, want to play Tractor Movie where crops grow to maturity in 20 game hours and there is constantly new fieldwork to do. (and there is nothing wrong with Tractor Movie - it's fun and satisfying and impossible to fail at it - I love playing multiplayer with my kids that way). How can it be otherwise when the past ten years or so of the game development that brought all these fans on board, was based on that? Obviously it sells and people dig it. The attraction of that style is understandable, to the large casual fanbase, who are paying customers just like I am. Not having this "Classic Arcade" gameplay option available after fans have been accustomed to it for so long, makes me nervous fans will be alienated by the new style, which will decrease interest in future iterations, which will affect Giants' ability to add more detailed optional systems for realism junkies like me in the future :biggrin2: Even though I'll never play it given any other option, I would recommend it is certainly in Giants' best interests to keep the classic game style available as an option.

- steps down from soapbox -
Iconia Star

Post by Iconia Star »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:45 pm

You don't need to write a damn essay about nonsense in every reply as well. Where do modders get a lot of their ideas on machinery, buildings, features, etc? Does it come from thin air, the game, real life experiences? If so and by using your dumb logic aren't modders stealing from the people that created the object irl or farm from irl people? See how dumb that statement sounds. That's your logic.
You're Correct in a way, of course. I had never heard of Farming Simulator until FS19 so I don't know what was removed from the base game in previous versions or which mods were based on original content. One day, I just saw it pop up and thought I'd try it out. That's doesn't mean that I lose the right to say "Hang on a second, this is way too familiar."

I just see FS22 being so similar to to FS19 that I feel cheated out of my money considering I paid for a new version of the game five months before it was released only to find that I already had the parts of the newer version that I liked and I put words to that. It doesn't mean that what I'm saying is "nonsense" and my logic isn't "dumb".

We've been having a pleasant conversation so far. Please don't stoop to insulting me over my opinions.

I know that the "Big Bud" mod of FS19 was based on a real life customized tractor. I know that the Valtra mods were you could open the windows were taken from the base game and modified. I'm not "mad" at anyone. Giants or the modders from the previous version. I've said multiple times now. Implementing mods that some (or a lot of) people like is a good practice but we don't get the opportunity to turn them off if they don't work for us.

I love the idea that it snows. I'm waiting for a mod to build a snowman. I just don't want to be forced to wait ten months for my wheat to grow so that my poor pigs don't starve. I don't want to plan a year in advance because I'm not very good at that and often forget why I haven't planted a particular field yet.

I still don't see why Giants can't say "Thanks for your input, we've added the mods you like to the base game so that you don't lag out by having 150 mods installed," instead of just saying "We added this, we're awesome."

As for writing "a damn essay... in every reply" I kind of do have to do that. It's my way of trying to make sure I'm using my words in a way that won't be mis-understood or mis-interpreted. I'm not always successful in that endeavour but people will always cherry pick what they want to hear or what they THINK they're hearing.
dreatern

Post by dreatern »

Why are hardcore players so threatened by the request to reintroduce an option that was part of the game for years, and was removed without explanation? Are they afraid of temptation?

The game is basically offline/solo, why are they uncomfortable with the way others prefer to play the game?

For multiplayer p2p or dedicated, the rules can be changed to suit the taste of the group playing together or just to be like the admin of the server want it to be.

I can't understand the logic of being against an option or options that can be ignored if you don't want to use it.

If someone wants to play 100% without seasons, without a single trace of it, with or without fast, normal or slow growth, let it be, it won't influence your game at all.

Having options is always welcome.