cultivated vs. seedbed vs. stubble tillage

jeremyj621

Re: cultivated vs. seedbed vs. stubble tillage

Post by jeremyj621 »

tecto wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:14 pm What about my last question - what is stubble tillage?
Here's my experience with stubble tillage: I bought two fields with crops I didn't want and used a subsoiler to get rid of the crops. This resulted in stubble tillage. One field I did this to achieved 100% fertilization rate, the other about 65%, so I'm not sure what growth stage results in maximum fertilization. Also, I found out you can't plant in stubble tillage unless the planter/seeder says it can plant directly (no plowing or cultivation needed).
Jesterama1980

Post by Jesterama1980 »

Guil wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:37 pm I bought a roller and no idea when to use it lol
After plowing or cultivating, or any state of soil change that brings small rocks to the surface. Rollers push them back down into the soil. You can either push them down or collect them with a stone collector. Not doing so increases wear and tear on any equipment that hits that soil, like seeders and weeders. If after rolling there are still rocks visible, they're large rocks and have to be collected.
ace54858

Post by ace54858 »

Guil wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:25 pm You sure? It says something about creating a seedbed and it can remove small stones. Also it supposedly increases yield by 5%
after seeding you can use a roller to get the 5% yield
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

tecto wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:14 pm What about my last question - what is stubble tillage?
Mulches the crop residue. It is supposed to give you a 5% yield bonus on the next crop, I haven't done the math to see if it does though.

It should mean that harrows do what they are supposed to really do in 22. In 19 they were either a weeder (which was wrong) or a cultivator, which wasn't exactly accurate.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
jeremyj621

Post by jeremyj621 »

jeremyj621 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:33 am
Here's my experience with stubble tillage: I bought two fields with crops I didn't want and used a subsoiler to get rid of the crops. This resulted in stubble tillage. One field I did this to achieved 100% fertilization rate, the other about 65%, so I'm not sure what growth stage results in maximum fertilization. Also, I found out you can't plant in stubble tillage unless the planter/seeder says it can plant directly (no plowing or cultivation needed).
Add: There are three things you can use to get rid of stubble tillage if you aren't using a direct planter/seeder:
1. Plow (not a subsoiler or spader)
2. Non-shallow cultivator.
3. Roller.
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

I watched a YouTube doing some simple tests yesterday. But it explains most.

Mulching with stubbles just add a 5% yield that is hidden. This does not prepare the seedbed,
Subsoiler, spader and plough fixes the plowed stated and digs up large stones. These needs to be picked up.
Cultivator digs up small stones. These can be rolled down.
Shallow cultivators, this mean some cultivators, power harrows, disc harrows gives no stones.