Please make a WINDOWS 7 FIX for FS22!

GodfleshNL

Please make a WINDOWS 7 FIX for FS22!

Post by GodfleshNL »

I can play every game in my library / catalogue (Old & Newer games) on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit...they all run fine...except FS22.

I get the "d3d12.dll is missing" error.

Please fix this and make FS22 compatible with Windows 7.

Upgrading to Windows 10 is not an option for me...and probably for a lot of other players also.

I tried a few so called "fixes" which were posted online, but offcourse none of the work like:

*Change <renderer>D3D_12</renderer> to <renderer>D3D_11</renderer>*
NotoriousWeber

Re: Please make a WINDOWS 7 FIX for FS22!

Post by NotoriousWeber »

Why would they add support for an operating system that hasn't been supported by its creator since January of 2020?
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant.
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

Windows 7 is obsolete and not supported anymore. DirectX version on Windows 7 is outdatet and the minimum requirement is Windows 10. You can't expect from developers to support an obsolete OS.
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

You can still freely upgrade to Windows 10. And as said, Windows 7 is not supported anymore.
GodfleshNL

Post by GodfleshNL »

They should add support because a lot of players still use Windows 7...literally EVERY GAME I play runs great on Windows 7 with no issues at all...and that's NEWER games included.

The excuse that they won't support an older OS is pure nonsense offcourse..if a large group of their players still use Windows 7, then they should add support for it...like most develepors do...and should.
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

That looks like a problem with DirectX 12. If you haven’t updated to DirectX 12, which might be a possibility with Windows 7, then doing so may fix your problem (particularly since FS22 requires DX12). If you already have DX12 installed, you may have a corrupted/damaged/missing file, in which case repairing your DX12 installation may fix it.

But, beyond that, you may have found some obscure bug that only manifests itself when FS22 and Windows 7 meet. In that case, you are on your own because (as others have stated) FS22 requirements call for Windows 10 at minimum, which means you are attempting to run an unsupported configuration.

Honestly though, in my opinion, you should really consider upgrading at least to Windows 10. Windows 7 is End of Life as far as even Microsoft is concerned and hasn’t even been getting security patches for almost TWO YEARS now. That’s extremely risky these days. And, as time marches on, you will only find yourself faced with more and more of these situations and not just with games. At least see if the free Windows 10 upgrade is still a possibility for you. (I’ve read there is a good chance it will still work, assuming you have a valid Windows 7 license anyway. CNET and other websites have articles explaining how to try it.) If it is, I strongly suggest you do yourself (and your personal information) a favor and upgrade to Windows 10 so that you can avoid this glitch and close up the myriad security holes you are currently living with.

Then you can ride that for another few years until Win10 support ends (considering that Windows 11 is now available)! Good luck!
roggek

Post by roggek »

No they shouldn't, and they wouldn't!

I probably know the main culprit here; you can only upgrade to Windows 10 and 11 if you hav a genuine copy of Windows 7...
(Which i doubt some players have, hence the "ranting about a fix for Windows 7/8"!)

I dont assume that this is the case in @GodfleshNL:s question, but why should Giants focus on a outdated Windows 7 which isn't supported anymore?

As other have said; try to upgrade to Windows 10, it's the best you can do..
AlexB

Post by AlexB »

Not an immediate solution, but it could make sense to migrate to Linux eventually, if you don't feel like installing new Windows versions. FS22 seems to have positive reviews on Protondb, so it's likely to run fine, especially if you have a Steam version.
ctb123

Post by ctb123 »

It says right on the purchase page for FS22, both on Giants purchase page and Steam, that a minimum requirement to run FS22 is WIndows 10. They are upfront about it.
roggek

Post by roggek »

ctb123 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:09 pm It says right on the purchase page for FS22, both on Giants purchase page and Steam, that a minimum requirement to run FS22 is WIndows 10. They are upfront about it.
Thats true, but some third party reselllers (like Gamestop, Walmart and God knows who else?) states only "Windows", or "Windows 7/8/10"

I think some people are tricked into this, that FS22 works under Windows 7/8 too...

Its called False Advertising and according to Giants they had reach out to those "misleading sellers" earlier (with no or little) repsonse to change the system requirements.
Mantrid

Post by Mantrid »

Just because Microsoft no longer provide updates, it doesn't mean it's a basket case OS. As was mentioned, pretty much everything else runs fine on it. FS22 even supports DX11, except that it gets upset if DX12 isn't available. Considering that updated video drivers are available for Win7, and World of Warcraft runs DX12 with Win7, and one of the DirectX developer blogs provides easy info for other game makers to do the same, I don't think it's a big ask. https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/ ... windows-7/
Website, Facebook, Youtube, ModHub, Discord user: Ford Prefect#5243 on Giants Discord
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

Mantrid wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:36 am Just because Microsoft no longer provide updates, it doesn't mean it's a basket case OS.
Basket case? No. By definition unmaintained and no longer supported. Yes. Lurking cyber security nightmare? Absolutely.
Mantrid wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:36 am As was mentioned, pretty much everything else runs fine on it. FS22 even supports DX11, except that it gets upset if DX12 isn't available. Considering that updated video drivers are available for Win7, and World of Warcraft runs DX12 with Win7, and one of the DirectX developer blogs provides easy info for other game makers to do the same,
At the risk of seeming (overly) snarky, “pretty much everything” is a pretty broad claim. How many is that, exactly? How many of them were released after Windows 7 was formally End of Support for Microsoft AND are explicitly supported under Windows 7 vs how many of them just happen to work for most people, most of the time but aren’t officially supported? Also, how many of those are explicitly offered and supported on 11 different hardware platforms, including multiple (ancient) versions of Windows on the PC platform?
Mantrid wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:36 am I don't think it's a big ask.
Except that it is.

First of all, if they did, Giants could (effectively and unilaterally) be accepting responsibility for solving problems caused by Windows 7 bugs that they can’t fix and Microsoft has said they won’t fix. That means accepting legal exposure should one of their customers have a problem related to Windows 7 that they can’t fix. That’s bad for technical support, the legal department, the marketing department, and the accounting department.

Second, in order to even attempt to support their (notional) Windows 7 users, that would mean keeping at least one Windows 7 host on their networks for troubleshooting. That would mean having an unsupported, unpatched host running at least part time on their network. Even if they went to the (probably considerable) effort to create an arrangement that would isolate the host while (somehow) allowing it to access the internet (or at least pretend to) so that it could behave as closely as possible to those “in the wild”, it would be an enormous source of risk to their network and, potentially, their company.

In my book, that’s a huge ask for a company to makes based on what has to be an outlier subset of their potential customer base, all over an operating system that is 3 generations older than the stated minimum version for the game.

Remember, Microsoft has released Windows 8, 8.1, 10, and now 11 since Windows 7. It is now 12 years old, the last Service Pack for it is 10 years old, and Microsoft formally and finally gave up supporting Windows 7 itself nearly two years ago. It is time to let it go.
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

Mantrid wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:36 am Just because Microsoft no longer provide updates, it doesn't mean it's a basket case OS. As was mentioned, pretty much everything else runs fine on it. FS22 even supports DX11, except that it gets upset if DX12 isn't available. Considering that updated video drivers are available for Win7, and World of Warcraft runs DX12 with Win7, and one of the DirectX developer blogs provides easy info for other game makers to do the same, I don't think it's a big ask. https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/ ... windows-7/
Windows 95 also runs fine, please make everything work there!

At some point you have to cut support and move forward. And in your case the OS haven´t been supported for close to 2 years. You can freely upgrade to Windows 10 or 11. Why not do that? You are also putting yourself in a big security risk by not upgrading.

Windows 7 was released in 2009. There is a limit on how much you can tag on top and still get a proper result.
Chryseus

Post by Chryseus »

I seriously don't get these people, complaining they can't upgrade even though it's free or moaning about it not respecting their privacy whilst ignoring the fact that a system with massive security holes is even worse for privacy, not supporting Windows 7 is exactly the right choice.
If you really hate Windows that much switch to Linux, the game works perfectly there and you get a modern and superior system.
roggek

Post by roggek »

Chryseus wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:19 pm I seriously don't get these people, complaining they can't upgrade even though it's free or moaning about it not respecting their privacy whilst ignoring the fact that a system with massive security holes is even worse for privacy, not supporting Windows 7 is exactly the right choice.
If you really hate Windows that much switch to Linux, the game works perfectly there and you get a modern and superior system.
Some people doesn't have a legimate copy of Windows 7, therefore it's (nearly) impossible to upgrade to both Windows 8 and 10/11.
But I don't say that the same people are complaining here.
I think they just want to start a flaming thread...