Repair and repaint costs...

GrimHuffer

Repair and repaint costs...

Post by GrimHuffer »

Hey guys,

Anyone else find that the costs for repairing, but especially repainting, items/tractors crazy expensive?

I went to repair/repaint a tractor with 10.7 hrs on it, I was 19K for repairs and declined the repaint which was 56K! (the tractor cost 230K new). How are those prices reflective of damage over time? I play on hard economy (with long seasons cycles) so payng out 75k every 10 or so hours is clearly not sustainable (especially when a ploughing contract pays 10k ish and takes nearly two real time hours to complete). I'd be saving money by buying an entire new tractor every 35 hrs!

Anyone else noticed the steep costs?
Goose66

Re: Repair and repaint costs...

Post by Goose66 »

Yep the repair and repaint are ridiculously high. Hopefully it gets changed.
20k repairs for 10 hrs running is a bit off !
Playing on PC....Hollandscheveld maizeplus map
Suffolk, England
Discord ...Goose66
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

Goose66 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:54 pm Yep the repair and repaint are ridiculously high. Hopefully it gets changed.
20k repairs for 10 hrs running is a bit off !
Thanks for confirmation.

Let's hope I'm not bankrupt before a resolution is found!
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

I'm going to agree here. Repaint cost is insane, and repair isn't much better, either. I'm doing a test playthrough right now, and the repair costs are eating me alive. Seems the only way to sustain my machine park is to game the system by abusing contracts, greenhouses and continuous crop sale.
Skipper0721

Post by Skipper0721 »

I bought a tractor and chose the wrong wheels. Drove syraight across the carpark to fix my mistake. $610 worth of paint damage in 50 metres and 10 seconds
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

Skipper0721 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:14 pm I bought a tractor and chose the wrong wheels. Drove syraight across the carpark to fix my mistake. $610 worth of paint damage in 50 metres and 10 seconds
Yes I noticed the same thing. Purchase a piece of new equipment, and didn't pay attention to what it was. Turned around and drove it to the sell point and noticed that that it already needed repairing and a paint job for several hundred dollars? Really? Just buying a piece of equipment should not add any wear and tear to it.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

I have a harvester that already cost 48000 before I have even driven it off the shop. Just left it there for a bit.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

Add all this to the thread on leasing costs and it's now obvious why Government Subsidy appeared on the ModHub on day 1 😉
alha alha

Post by alha alha »

Govt Subsidy. That's rich! Love that someones got a sense of humor. :lol: Plus realizes that there still needs to be quite a bit of work/rebalancing done on both the leasing end of things in 22, as well as the above mentioned repair costs.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

Shintai wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:10 pm I have a harvester that already cost 48000 before I have even driven it off the shop. Just left it there for a bit.
did you buy a used one from the sale page?
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

Just a thought. Are the leasing costs scaled to your days per month choice? I.e. with 3 days per month is you lease cost per day one third of the cost?
ED209v2

Post by ED209v2 »

I was using a brand new MF 8S. All paint gone in 4.0 hours.
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:21 pm
Shintai wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:10 pm I have a harvester that already cost 48000 before I have even driven it off the shop. Just left it there for a bit.
did you buy a used one from the sale page?
Brand new.
thecaveman991

Post by thecaveman991 »

Just paid $12000 in repairs on a Case Magnum after 6 hours operating. Repair costs on large tractors is ridiculous.
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

Hey guys,

I have a crude workaround if you are comfortable editing game files.

NOTE: I am not a modder. Use the following at your own risk. I'm not sure if these changes effects any other game settings (TBH, I wouldn't be messing with game files myself if I weren't itching for a solution)

If you go to root folder (on Steam that's steamapps/common) then go into data/vehicles and find whatever tractor you are using (should work with equipment too but only tested that briefly). You will likely have to open a subfolder or two. When you open the correct folder, find the xml file, there should only be one (at least in the samples I tested). You should probably save a copy of this file somewhere safe before you make any changes. Open the xml file (the original, not the one you saved) in a text editor, press ctrl + f, type 'wear' into the box and click find next (make sure your insertion point, that flashing vertical text bar thingy, is at the top of the page and the direction selected is downwards).

You should now find yourself at the start of two lines of text, the line you want to edit is the following:

<wearable wearDuration="480" workMultiplier="5" fieldMultiplier="2"/>

You want to change the number '480' to something greater, FAR greater. I ran a few tests using the same model of tractor, plow and front weight (all bought new each time) ploughing (British spelling) the same field for one hour at the time (hours recorded on tractor now 1.0) using different 'wearDuration' values.

For berevity, I won't list all the samples/numbers I tested but for reference (I use pounds for my in game currency, you may be different, doesn't really matter, it's the relative difference that's of interest):

1) wearDuration='480' (non edited 'stock' value) cost £509 in repairs and £11,050 for a repaint.
2) wearDuration='250,000' cost £1 in repairs and £594 for a repaint.
3) wearDuration='750,000' cost £0 in repairs and £50 for a repaint.

The latter is much more reasonable, I'm sure you'll agree. I can't seem to 'flip' the more expensive costs of repaint onto the repairs side, so you might just have to pretend the repairs/repaint are both grouped together into 'servicing and consumables' or somesuch thing. So running that particular tractor ploughing in that field cost me £50 an hour in servicing and consumables (wear to brakes, tyres etc). Not sure what accurate costs are IRL but I know it's not £11.5K ish using the stock wearDuration='480' value!

So, for clarity, I personally use the following (you may wish to test different values yourself and find what suits you):

<wearable wearDuration="750000" workMultiplier="5" fieldMultiplier="2"/>

I changed nothing else.

It works, but you'll have to edit the file of each and every tractor and piece of equipment you use, which could be a chore if you use a big selection. At least it makes things far more playable (for me at least) until an official fix comes out.

REMEMBER: I am not a modder, don't be sending me any rude emoji's if it messes something up! It shouldn't though as I've spent more than 12 hours running the numbers and nothing is broken and saves are loading/running as normal.

Hope this helps.