Please remove "Real World" ads from game -> Giants Devs

thumbwiz

Re: Why is the game serving ads?

Post by thumbwiz »

iwan073 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:34 pm I haven’t seen the ads yet.
Guess this is a good thing. Means they’re not intrusive.

(Is intrusive the right word here? Me being a Dutch guy…)

Billboards are a real life thing. If we’re going to have a few, why not have real ads on there. I mean, what do I care?! I just drive passed them, minding my own business
Intrusive is the right word. That's not so much the problem.
Ads in-game use internet bandwidth that you pay for, and you have no control over them.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

FarmerJohn89 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:13 pm
iwan073 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:34 pm I haven’t seen the ads yet.
Guess this is a good thing. Means they’re not intrusive.

(Is intrusive the right word here? Me being a Dutch guy…)

Billboards are a real life thing. If we’re going to have a few, why not have real ads on there. I mean, what do I care?! I just drive passed them, minding my own business
Yup intrusive is correct but I wouldn't expect anything less from the Dutch 😜. Most Dutch I've met, spoke better English than me 😂.
Well, at least you wrote than instead of then 😅
Ignorance is bliss
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

I see billboards, but they’re of FrizzySpizz Zero.
It says “new”, so I guess they’ve just introduced it.

I don’t think these are real life ads. Never heard of it anyway. Unless that’s because it’s “new”.

I’m on PlayStation 5. Maybe the real ads are a PC only thing?

Oh, and there are billboards with “support your local farmer” on it.

Oh, now I see one from elten.com, which is the shoe brand we have in game
Ignorance is bliss
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I'm fine with ads. Let giants make more money if they can. They can then expand and improve the game more. Are these people getting mad at ads, also get mad if you see a billboard irl? It is the same principle. Every major sports game has ad nowadays, shoot even uniforms have ads on them.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:56 pm I'm fine with ads. Let giants make more money if they can. They can then expand and improve the game more. Are these people getting mad at ads, also get mad if you see a billboard irl? It is the same principle. Every major sports game has ad nowadays, shoot even uniforms have ads on them.
How much more have you ever gotten from ads? I have a hint, it is likely 0.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Addias paid me a few grand to have their logo on basketball uniforms that I coached. Same thing occurred when I played too. Giants should be getting money from those companies they are displaying. The whole game is advertisement for ag companies as well.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Guil

Post by Guil »

speedbrake wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:40 pm The thing with this is that it can easily get a slippery slope where it starts with unobtrusive, maybe even relevant ads (if ads for construction site security cams is related to farm sim). But it can soon turn into more ads, bigger ads, more obnoxious ads (who hasn't seen these big bright led screens next to busy roads). And the next thing they'll add is requiring more privacy invading data (as a matter of fact, we don't know what kind of data they're gathering right now, besides language/culture settings).

So to me there are two completely different things: showing real world brands (which is alright, it's why a lot of people like this game) and invading privacy and connecting to an internet server to serve real time ads that we cannot control, especially not on console.
Need to watch this quick 30 second ad before you can start the engine in your tractor :lol:
Dorsai

Post by Dorsai »

Y'all are in a farming game, as such manufactures of farm equipment are able to get even more exposure for there particular brand in game after all farmers do play this game. It is an interesting low key way to provide a link to a real life place in which one could visit a web page or drive to. Y'all have a pleasant week.
Back in the day:
Owner/operator L Lazy M Hereford Ranch
Plays FS22 on a pc
"Put on a cowboy hat lose your mind" :hi:
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

Guil wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:07 pm Need to watch this quick 30 second ad before you can start the engine in your tractor :lol:
Reminds me of mobile games that does this. :lol:
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

iwan073 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:23 pm I see billboards, but they’re of FrizzySpizz Zero.
It says “new”, so I guess they’ve just introduced it.

I don’t think these are real life ads. Never heard of it anyway. Unless that’s because it’s “new”.

I’m on PlayStation 5. Maybe the real ads are a PC only thing?

Oh, and there are billboards with “support your local farmer” on it.

Oh, now I see one from elten.com, which is the shoe brand we have in game
I did a google search on FrizzySpizz Zero and all I could find was this topic and a link to another "mod" site which had FrizzySpizz Zero as a downloadable mod for a billboard that would generate money everyday in game. It doesn't appear that this is a real product. Just something that looked flashy and Giants used it on their new billboards.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
tuttle

Post by tuttle »

A billboard mod for income doesn't sound half bad. Way more realistic than a Gov subsidy, even if it doesn't pay very much.
AlexB

Post by AlexB »

iwan073 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:34 pm Billboards are a real life thing.
I think the argument is that things people don't like in real life don't need to be reflected in games. Ads in real life are obnoxious and people limit their exposure to ads. Cities have restrictions on what and where can be advertised, on the internet people use adblockers and so on.
AlexB

Post by AlexB »

tuttle wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:48 am A billboard mod for income doesn't sound half bad. Way more realistic than a Gov subsidy, even if it doesn't pay very much.
Or imagine if modders could make maps with ads embedded in them and get paid.
Gormett

Post by Gormett »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:56 pm I'm fine with ads. Let giants make more money if they can. They can then expand and improve the game more. Are these people getting mad at ads, also get mad if you see a billboard irl?
Would you say the same if you bought a TV and it played an ad at random times in one corner of the screen ?
Let the [company] make more money if they can, who cares that I already gave them money, let them make even more money off of me, so they can expand and improve the [product] more.

And I'm sure that many people get mad at billboards too, visual pollution / visual smog is a big issue in cities
tuttle

Post by tuttle »

Gormett wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:24 am Would you say the same if you bought a TV and it played an ad at random times in one corner of the screen ?
Not the hardware itself, but the content providers do that. First it was those loud looking station id bugs. Now they sometimes pop up a banner with an ad, to squeeze a few more seconds of ads in after the program starts playing again.