Please remove "Real World" ads from game -> Giants Devs

speedbrake

Re: Why is the game serving ads?

Post by speedbrake »

I put in a request in their feedback tool but they told me to contact support via mail. However, the only reply I get is a default 'how to download/install your game" reply.

@giants: please respond to my mail
player1s

Post by player1s »

hrvacx wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:18 pm Problem with the argument that ads are realistic is that these ads dont add to the immersion or gameplay. They are there to promote something in return giants recieves some cash. They dont contribute to the realism in a meaningful way.
But thats exactly the point of billboards. They promote a product.

When I play ETS2 I rather see trucks with skins of real companies than the made up companies so I downloaded mods for that. If SCS could earn a buck extra by actually having it in basegame I'd be all for it.
Same with FS22. If a billboard that is already there because in real life there would be a billboard there, my immersion goes up if its a real product. Just like driving a real brand is more fun than driving a Lizard.

Now if I had to watch a 30s ad before I can harvest, they will have a problem with me.
speedbrake

Post by speedbrake »

I see enough ads during my normal day already, don't need them creeping in on me while i'm taking time off to relax.
Gormett

Post by Gormett »

I'm sorry but I think that only fanboys would; buy the game that's now priced higher than the previous release, buy the DLCs, buy the game again as a dedicated server, buy the DLCs again for the dedicated server and then defend the company by saying it's actually a good thing that they can make even more money off of them, by including Dutch ads on an American map, because somehow it's more immersive than simple fake ads, like in GTA.

If the game were free to play and if it had the release "schedule" of Euro Truck Simulator 2, it would be different imo. For now, the price of the game increased regardless if it had ads or not. It's just greed.
catfan1212

Post by catfan1212 »

currently laughing my a** off at everyone acting like billboards in this game kicked their cat or something
farming on ps4 :biggrin2:
Amberlight

Post by Amberlight »

A small fuss over nothing as usual.
Ruges

Post by Ruges »

You do realise that all those brand named machines are basically ads right? I am hoping they make a ton of money from the ad revenue, Maybe then they can hire some beta testers, maybe then we can get a product that does not crash 10 times a day.
IseOlen

Post by IseOlen »

The problem for me is not about "it's real products that they advertise". The problem is about security.
Basically when you play the game "billboard picture code(BPC)" is downloaded from Giants server and run. First it might be a static picture shown on billboard, then a GIF, then a video with sound or in case Giants is really stripped - a crypto-mining software (don't worry they won't use you GPU - you would notice framedrops, they'll use CPU as the game itself loads maybe 2-3 cores only and you probably have spare resources there). Burried in the TC they actually might have something about it. Together with "in case our servers are hacked and the BPC is replaced with some cryptolocker software - you're on your own".
So still not a problem that they didn't tell you about this functionality?
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

I'm totally zoned out of even seeing adverts. I didn't even notice the billboard sat there.

My philosophy: if you interrupt what I'm doing, you're permanently entering my DO NOT BUY list (that includes all video ads on YT). I hit mute and look away. I see not even 1 second.
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

IseOlen wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:11 am The problem for me is not about "it's real products that they advertise". The problem is about security.
Basically when you play the game "billboard picture code(BPC)" is downloaded from Giants server and run. First it might be a static picture shown on billboard, then a GIF, then a video with sound or in case Giants is really stripped - a crypto-mining software (don't worry they won't use you GPU - you would notice framedrops, they'll use CPU as the game itself loads maybe 2-3 cores only and you probably have spare resources there). Burried in the TC they actually might have something about it. Together with "in case our servers are hacked and the BPC is replaced with some cryptolocker software - you're on your own".
So still not a problem that they didn't tell you about this functionality?
And then they'll conduct a false flag attack and implant rfid chips so their reptilian shape shifter overlords can monitor our testosterone levels
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

Ruges wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:51 amYou do realise that all those brand named machines are basically ads right?
There is a difference between a real-life brand appearing as legitimate assets within the game, and advertising billboards that show adverts for anything totally unrelated to the game whatsoever, relying on subliminal processing to get the message across.

IMHO it should be banned permanently from all games. If someone wants to sponsor a title and appear within, then great, but make it known.

As it is, these virtual live billboards are intrusive, unwelcome, and unwanted.

I don't remember being made aware at any point in the process of shopping for FS22 that it included live advertising, and not one single streamer that I watched mentioned it.

Giants are lucky they have a solid product, because I generally tend to be extremely proactive at boycotting things I don't agree with.

If Giants are that short of cash, I'd rather pay another $5 for the product and have NO adverts.
FLusty94

Post by FLusty94 »

MrSquealypig wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:03 pm If it means they can make more/better maps and equipment, it doesn't bother me.

Especially since it is a stationary billboard. Not a video or anything intrusive.

paahahahahahhahaha you have to be shitting me right? making more/better mods cause of an advert board in a map hahahahahahahahhah christ almighty
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

FLusty94 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:51 am
MrSquealypig wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:03 pm If it means they can make more/better maps and equipment, it doesn't bother me.

Especially since it is a stationary billboard. Not a video or anything intrusive.

paahahahahahhahaha you have to be shitting me right? making more/better mods cause of an advert board in a map hahahahahahahahhah christ almighty
I said maps, not mods.

Their last 3 maps have been really good.
TDiniz

Post by TDiniz »

I only get the drink ad, are there no ads available for Canada? I think that having RELEVANT ads in the game is immersive, I'd love to drive by a billboard advertising the 6R redesign for example, but instead all I see is the drink ad.
MagicBoy

Post by MagicBoy »

Shintai wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:13 pm I dont recall we got a discount for the game to offset this "feature".
You want an explicit discount stated upon purchase to offset a couple of dynamic billboards in the base game maps, as it greatly offends you?

What next, an itemised bill as to the commercial arrangement between Giants and John Deere, Case and AGCO?

You need to lighten up.

Next you'll be telling me you invoice the local council/county/whatever for viewing adverts by the side of the road as you drive to the grocery store. :lol: