Please remove "Real World" ads from game -> Giants Devs

Luftkopf

Re: Why is the game serving ads?

Post by Luftkopf »

I’m a bit conflicted on this topic. On the one hand, I don’t like to see advertising intruding into my spaces, and it could be a concerning development. On the other hand, it’s a commercial reality in this capitalistic world, and is kinda inevitable. If the ads are unobtrusive, then I can tolerate them, and they are so unobtrusive I haven’t even spotted any yet…

So, as far as I’m concerned, it’s presently a non-issue, but I’ll be watching Giants in the future a tiny bit on this topic.
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

"EXCUBES ME OFFICER I'D LIKE TO REPORT A CRIME

Yes, they put a billboard in my video game...'
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

MagicBoy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:03 pm
Shintai wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:13 pm I dont recall we got a discount for the game to offset this "feature".
You want an explicit discount stated upon purchase to offset a couple of dynamic billboards in the base game maps, as it greatly offends you?

What next, an itemised bill as to the commercial arrangement between Giants and John Deere, Case and AGCO?

You need to lighten up.

Next you'll be telling me you invoice the local council/county/whatever for viewing adverts by the side of the road as you drive to the grocery store. :lol:
You confuse parts you buy and dont buy. Also the ads in game have nothing to do with farming. Plus they are immersion breaking when presented in another language. The billboards also support video, I guess you are looking forward to that.
chedder_farms

Post by chedder_farms »

MrSquealypig wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:29 pm Image

Would you like the car dealer to paint an ad on the side of your car before delivering it to you? How about your home seller sticking a billboard on your lawn.
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

chedder_farms wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:04 pm

Would you like the car dealer to paint an ad on the side of your car before delivering it to you? How about your home seller sticking a billboard on your lawn.
None of those things are in any way remotely similar to a little billboard on a game that already had billboards in it, but for fake products.
chedder_farms

Post by chedder_farms »

MrSquealypig wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:09 pm

None of those things are in any way remotely similar to a little billboard on a game that already had billboards in it, but for fake products.
They are similar. Why don't you answer yes or no, rather than dodge the question?
Some people don't have unlimited internet, and they probably don't expect a game they paid for to continue using their bandwidth, generating revenue for the game company, unannounced.
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

chedder_farms wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:32 pm

They are similar. Why don't you answer yes or no, rather than dodge the question?
Some people don't have unlimited internet, and they probably don't expect a game they paid for to continue using their bandwidth, generating revenue for the game company, unannounced.
Ok

1) If a picture is using up your bandwidth, you probably shouldn't be playing games that connect to the internet at all.

B) Someone defacing a multi-thousand dollar vehicle you own is not the same as a few pixels on a digital game. You're being ridiculously overdramatic.

XVIII) It's almost 2022 and literally every form of media is sponsored or contains product placement. You're all acting like you've never seen/heard any movie, tv show, radio broadcast or sporting event over the last decade.
chedder_farms

Post by chedder_farms »

MrSquealypig wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:05 pm

Ok

1) If a picture is using up your bandwidth, you probably shouldn't be playing games that connect to the internet at all.

B) Someone defacing a multi-thousand dollar vehicle you own is not the same as a few pixels on a digital game. You're being ridiculously overdramatic.

XVIII) It's almost 2022 and literally every form of media is sponsored or contains product placement. You're all acting like you've never seen/heard any movie, tv show, radio broadcast or sporting event over the last decade.
Good answer. Somebody says take it, and you say ok, how deep. *thumbsup*
alha alha

Post by alha alha »

As I plan on playing offline, I wonder how the game might react to that? Just repeatedly play the ones that came with it originally?
Questionnaire

Post by Questionnaire »

I don't think you know how small those images are, they are at max 85kb which is really small, and only the large landscape pics are that big. Not only that, but the game has 17 generic ads in the files (3 of which are made for different billboards that seem to be made only for those). So let's say it loads 4 images, which seems reasonable, it will take 340kb which is smaller than a 2-page pdf file. So unless you don't have enough data to gather 340kb of information, there is no issue. Also, it only does that when you load the savegame, it does not keep updating the billboards throughout the session. Personally, I see no issue with seeing real brands on billboards in-game, which I may add, there is no interruption to your gameplay, they are just billboards. And with people saying that this leads to more in the future I think you are wrong, if anything, all they will do is keep the billboards, I don't think they will ever add videos or ads before you can enter your tractor or whatever people are saying.
Playing FS 15-17-19-22 on a Razer Blade.

PC Specs
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
AMD Radeon RX 590 "Fatboy"
Corsair Vengance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8) DDR4-3200
Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Samsung 870 QVO Plus 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB M.2

In-game username:Questionnaire
Discord: russian_man_99
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

alha alha wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:56 pm As I plan on playing offline,
Had a same feeling about that.
Questionnaire wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:37 pm it does not keep updating the billboards throughout the session.
Having these not changing constantly is more realistic-ish because I think it takes a week or a month before changing the billboard.
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

this_is_gav wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:16 pm Very annoying, especially as they asked about adverts in the Fendt BB survey, and I'd be staggered if more than a couple voted in favour.

Obviously only on PC, but if you want to block them edit your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file (no extension) to include the line:

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1 ads-fs22.giants-software.com
It seems the adverts aren't cached, so I've got the old drink advert back now.

You'll need to copy the hosts file elsewhere before editing, then replace it afterwards. There are plenty of guides on editing the hosts file if you're struggling.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Xtrememaster

Post by Xtrememaster »

If this is the way we go with the game, i would stop buying the next new farming simulator..

That are 3 copys of the game, and for each copy the DLCs..
Pre-ordered FS17 1x xbox one version, 1x steam version 1x Giants store versionHaving 2x saitek heavy equipment steers (one is here and the other under way) Also pre-ordered the FS17 collectors edition. *thumbsup* *thumbsup* *thumbsup* :chinese:
Xtrememaster

Post by Xtrememaster »

AgroDude wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:42 am I'm totally zoned out of even seeing adverts. I didn't even notice the billboard sat there.

My philosophy: if you interrupt what I'm doing, you're permanently entering my DO NOT BUY list (that includes all video ads on YT). I hit mute and look away. I see not even 1 second.
I thought they where fake ad boards. something that is integrated in the game already. But it seems to be more worse then that. :hmm:
Pre-ordered FS17 1x xbox one version, 1x steam version 1x Giants store versionHaving 2x saitek heavy equipment steers (one is here and the other under way) Also pre-ordered the FS17 collectors edition. *thumbsup* *thumbsup* *thumbsup* :chinese:
alha alha

Post by alha alha »

ASOLANDRI wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:18 pm
Questionnaire wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:37 pm it does not keep updating the billboards throughout the session.
Having these not changing constantly is more realistic-ish because I think it takes a week or a month before changing the billboard.
Unfortunately around here, a decent number of them over the last 5+ years have been converted to electronic billboards, so they rotate thru the ads every 10 seconds or so. yay.