Powershift and rpm

Atledreier

Powershift and rpm

Post by Atledreier »

Hi!

I'm playing with a wheel and clutch, and manual gearboxes selected.
In a tractor with powershift I have buttons on my joystick to shift up and down. This is fine.
When I drive normally the rpm seems to work as expected, higher gears, lower rpm.

As soon as I turn on my implemnent the RPM goes to the redline, however. Is this correct for powershift transmissions?
DirectCedar

Re: Powershift and rpm

Post by DirectCedar »

Sorry I don't have a specific answer for you, but I believe engine throttle is now (maybe since 19) linked to engaging PTO and possibly engaging hydraulics. This could explain why your throttle shoots up when the implement is engaged (assuming the implement has a PTO). Does it do it with unpowered implements as well, or just ones using PTO? I'm mostly thinking out loud here :biggrin2:
Atledreier

Post by Atledreier »

I had the same thought, and yes, it's when I engage an implement with PTO. Kinda makes sense, but I have no idea how that works in real life for non-CVT tractors. I'd assume you lock the rpm to whatever the PTO needs, and select the gear that gives you the speed/torque you need. That's not quite how it works in the game at the moment.
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

IRL the PTO shaft if driven (powered) either mechanically or hydraulically.

If mechanical, think of it like the prop shaft connecting the gearbox to the rear differential in a RWD car (if you follow). Perhaps an easier way to put it is that a mechanical PTO is driven using physical connections (shafts and u-joints) and has a physical connection to the engine (through various sets of gears).

A hydralic PTO does not have a physical connection to the engine. The engine will power a hydraulic pump which will force oil down through hydraulic hoses towards a PTO pump. If you look at the John Deere 8 series tractors they use a hydraulic front PTO sometimes (not sure it's modelled in FS games or not). The reason is that there is no real space available to run a mechanical PTO with all the shafts and joints etc.

Hope that makes some sense.

To answer your question though, yes, the engine RPM will increase when using a PTO. If it's mechanical with a physical direct connection between engine and PTO the PTO will not speed up unless the engine does. Even with hydraulic PTO pumps the engine still needs to speed up to drive the pump at a sufficient speed to increase flow/pressure in the lines and drive the PTO.

That might not have been very clear, hope it made some sense though.

EDIT: I should have said that it doesn't matter what gearbox the tractor uses, the systems are seperate and operate independent of each other (although some very old tractors could only drive or use the PTO, not both).
Atledreier

Post by Atledreier »

Thanks Grim, that's what I thought.
Yeahrightio

Post by Yeahrightio »

If your comparing it to a tractor in real life Giants are pretty close, as close as the game would allow. Synchros ie the fiat 1300dt (mod) would be a little bit jerky when using 1000 speed PTO implements, as there isn't really a splitter, just ranges and gears, thus you find a gear and then if you want to pick up speed you have to find another one by clutching and changing. Now if you look carefully every tractor in the game has some sort of splitter gear, whether that be synchro with splitter, range PowerShift, full PowerShift, CVT and so on. The Steyr 8150 it fendt 515C are both a good example, they're both still a synchro but they offer a 'powershift' like other tractors (the fendt does have a fluid clutch which is a tourqe converter in sense, pick a gear with the clutch and you can take your foot off the clutch and it won't go until you hit the throttle, this kinda shoots my point down but it's still a synchro for gears, with the 4 speed PowerShift). That's a key trait for any sort of a tractor to have a splitter, even for draft applications. Then the 4755 or the 7200 Pro (mod) have full PowerShift transmissions and will shift either way, at 2300rpm or not. Rated PTO speeds on most tractors for 1000 rpm on the PTO is around 2160, Our New Hollands we operate IRL run that speed. Then there's 540e and 540 PTO and on tractors like the fendt 500 favorit they offet a 750 PTO speed. Ive only ever seen 1 implement that used that and it was a kverneland planter. In essence its not really the transmission that controls the PTO, there's a shaft that comes from the clutch to the PTO and you engage it to get it spinning.
G'day from Australia :hi:
Fiatagri, the Italian stallion

PC has finally won me over, back to 17 now, Western Shore.
- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

The farm focuses on Milk production, with cereals, grass silage and potato’s on the side for some extra income, whilst running a multitude of modern classics.
JWE75

Post by JWE75 »

Now playing with FS22 few days, this Manual gear system is just pure gold! Wheel and pedals, what a great thing this is. You feel the load on engine just hit the button for smaller gears etc. And with the new sound system! FS22 really takes the game to new level!