Rollers and rock pickers, which one?

Yeahrightio

Rollers and rock pickers, which one?

Post by Yeahrightio »

I'm still on elm creek at the moment, just gave my old Valmet a workout on the Amazone cultivator. But I've had a truck load of rocks appear. I know I can pick them up with the degalman and elho rock pickers but I was wondering whether a roller would be good. Ive seen Djgoham roll them.back in and was wondering if this is either A more cost effective or B time saving, as I want to plant some crop during the season.

If I were to pick the rocks up, they are saleable, but are they a recurring thing?. Meaning I might cultivate 3 or so times before they go away fully or is it every time I cultivate, even after 20 or so times?

What do you think about rock pickers or rollers?
G'day from Australia :hi:
Fiatagri, the Italian stallion

PC has finally won me over, back to 17 now, Western Shore.
- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

The farm focuses on Milk production, with cereals, grass silage and potato’s on the side for some extra income, whilst running a multitude of modern classics.
parad0x177

Re: Rollers and rock pickers, which one?

Post by parad0x177 »

I haven’t tried the rollers yet. But I will soon because dealing with the picker is a pain (in my opinion) because there are far too many rocks. (I ran a subsoiler on my fields and that started to look like they were paved in cobblestone!) I don’t know how many tons of stone I sold (and I still didn’t collect them all), but they were good for a $786 “return”. The (extensive) effort didn’t even cover the cost to rent (“lease”) the picker. So, I figure the roller (at least) has to be more time- and (possibly) cost efficient.

You bring up a good question about the recurrence, though. I just assumed they would recur, at least periodically, if not regularly, no matter what I did. But, now that I think about it, I wonder if one’s tillage approach has something to do with it? (In other words, did my subsoiler work bring them up?). Or, does it perhaps track with temperature (as in freezing ground pushes them up)? Maybe both? I’m also wondering how they affect other game mechanics. Do they reduce yield? Increase equipment wear? Both? :hmm:
crash

Post by crash »

A little perk with the ai worker; he keeps on rockpicking even though he is full..
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
Nebraska Heartland

Post by Nebraska Heartland »

I tried using the rollers after I used a subsoiler for the plow state. The roller didn’t do anything to the stones or give me a fertilizer state. It did however give me a seedbed state. I know Djgoham was using the roller in the video after he cultivated the field and he had kind of mentioned something about smaller stones so maybe the plow and subsoilers bring up larger stones that have to be picked up?? I’m not 100% on the rollers yet but definitely going to have to experiment around with them a bit.
Yeahrightio

Post by Yeahrightio »

I think just looking at the rocks they really need a rock windrower to make the most of they degalman pickers. Degalman make a rock windrower so I was surprised not to see it, the elho one is good but it's a bit big to use on a smaller tractor. I have leased out the smaller picker to see how I go, Crash has found a way to cheat a bit so that's handy with the worker system.

- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

The farm focuses on Milk production, with cereals, grass silage and potato’s on the side for some extra income, whilst running a multitude of modern classics.
ace54858

Post by ace54858 »

a roller will only push small rocks back down bigger rock need to be picked with a rock picker if not done they will do damage to your equipment. of course there is always the option of turning rocks off in settings as well.
Deereslayer

Post by Deereslayer »

If you no till plant, are rocks still an issue?
Yeahrightio

Post by Yeahrightio »

Well I just planted my canola into some paddocks with rocks in them. These aren't just pebbles, they're full blown rocks so I'm hoping it won't hurt my gear to much, half of its used anyway so it can't get much worse haha 😂. It will be interesting to see what happens to the yeilds anyway.

- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s