All my profits going to re-painting & repairs

Nishma Agri Mods

Re: All my profits going to re-painting & repairs

Post by Nishma Agri Mods »

there is far better ways to make the game harder. Rather than adding good features and then cutting it off at the knees.

eg - soil types - this would cause the player to choose machinery more wisely and farmers with heavy clay soils will need bigger more powerful machines but would be rewarded with slightly higher yields where as lighter sandy soils need lower hp but would cause more ware to implements that engage the soil (cultivators , ploughs etc)

Seasons - now its part of the game why not have then work like seasons . make bales left of in the rain rot , same as swaths i have left a swath in a field for a entire year as a test it didnt rot. this would make the game harder . you would have to spend money on barns to keep you bale dry .

a better economic simulation would also make the game harder ,

failed crops , weather , pests . all these things would make it harder to earn money The best way to make it harder to earn money is make the game somewhat realistic lol
MagicBoy

Post by MagicBoy »

Yeah, I made this point last week, including to one of the Devs on the discord. Apparently smaller repairs more often work out a bit cheaper, but the prices are well out IMO. I bought a new Fastrac 8330 and ran down to the 25% mark which took 9 hours (as you'd do in FS19), and the repair bill was €22k! With fuel on normal, I still had half a hank left. Worked out per hour it was costing me €2.5k in repairs and about €43 in fuel. That's a new tractor, not a used one. FS19 repairs might have been a bit too cheap, but costs have gone up by a factor of 10 for FS22. Max repair costs are 10% of the cost of the vehicle.

Two takeaways with the way it's currently structured :
1) No point using owned equipment for contracts, it's cheaper to borrow it. At these costs I can do a ploughing or cultivating job and lose money driving my own equipment myself as the repairs are way more than the reward. Add a worker for extra burning your money points.
2) More powerful kit is uneconomical. You're better off using a cheap to buy older model tractor like the Fendt Favorit or Valmet, which caps the repair bill.

None of that is factoring in the depreciation. I darn't even think about that!
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

It is just silly when you discover your tractor is about half down in wear after doing a seasons work on a 3.2Ha field, while your fuel gage is only down 5%.
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

Nishma Agri Mods wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:57 am there is far better ways to make the game harder. Rather than adding good features and then cutting it off at the knees.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, and all the points you've made. Everything you listed would make this a much better game, and a lot more fun to play too. Alas, this is GIANTS we're talking about here. Think path of least resistance.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

Seems Giants is so concerned about players not spending 10s of hours being poor that they have added a bunch of extra cost into the game:
  • Increased repair cost
  • Increased helper cost
  • Repaint cost that is basically meaningless
  • Generators that will never pay back
What is so infuriating about all this is that all these extra "taxes" and the fact that the economy is so crushing at the start is it encourages people to do one of the following:
  • Exploit the things that are balanced the other way, namely greenhouses
  • Use mods or edit xml to make money trivial
  • Just quit out of the lack of progress because they are tired of doing the same thing over and over and over and ...
On top of the above, contracts pay almost nothing and are bugged in several ways which means players are more tied to the their starting choices than in the past for the time being.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

I thought this thread was a discussion about repair costs, but suddenly it's become a Giants bashing fest.

I like the game. We are talking about some minor tweaking, that's all. I can live with the repair costs for the time being. It's enough that I can spend a couple of hours just mindlessly driving a tractor up and down a field. Then afterwards sit down and discuss the cost of repairs. No need to make more of it than it is.

Kudos to Giants for moving the base simulator forward.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

There is a simple solution to all these problems, computer games found this solution years ago but Giants seem very much against it.

The answer is options, you keep your three base game options and then offer a config to each one, these config pages would include things like starting money, economy difficulty (loan interest and crop prices), Vehicle wear. You could either have a slider from -100% to +100% (or whatever) or offer check boxes.

As shown above these numbers already exist in the base code, so make them variables and give us a config file that is setup when you start a game.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
hrvacx

Post by hrvacx »

Yeah economics need tweaking. I think or atleasr hope they are aware of that. It should be easy to fix from them since its just tweaking some numbers to make the game more balanced.
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

bossmanslim wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:02 pm Seems Giants is so concerned about players not spending 10s of hours being poor that they have added a bunch of extra cost into the game:
  • Increased repair cost
  • Increased helper cost
  • Repaint cost that is basically meaningless
  • Generators that will never pay back
What is so infuriating about all this is that all these extra "taxes" and the fact that the economy is so crushing at the start is it encourages people to do one of the following:
  • Exploit the things that are balanced the other way, namely greenhouses
  • Use mods or edit xml to make money trivial
  • Just quit out of the lack of progress because they are tired of doing the same thing over and over and over and ...
On top of the above, contracts pay almost nothing and are bugged in several ways which means players are more tied to the their starting choices than in the past for the time being.
Another favourite exploit of mine is field flipping ... But a field harvest and then sell the field.

And generators all take about 95 days to pay back Vs 5 days for a greenhouse.
95 days is horrendous 48 days would be more than enough.
MagicBoy

Post by MagicBoy »

gordon861 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:06 pm There is a simple solution to all these problems, computer games found this solution years ago but Giants seem very much against it.
Well that's a load of nonsense. There's easy/normal/hard toggles for economy, fuel usage and various other things. Which will cover 95% of the things for 99% of the player base. Easy/Normal/Hard are simple to understand. My 9 year old nephew doesn't want to work out percentages, if he even understands the, he wants to drive big farm machinery.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

MagicBoy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:11 pm
gordon861 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:06 pm There is a simple solution to all these problems, computer games found this solution years ago but Giants seem very much against it.
Well that's a load of nonsense. There's easy/normal/hard toggles for economy, fuel usage and various other things. Which will cover 95% of the things for 99% of the player base. Easy/Normal/Hard are simple to understand. My 9 year old nephew doesn't want to work out percentages, if he even understands the, he wants to drive big farm machinery.
Which is why a lot of games have the easy/medium/hard options but also allow you to tweek these options further (which all I am suggesting) if you want, if you don't you just select go and play away.

Also, don't use percentages use less/more sliders if you want, they are just labels.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
MagicBoy

Post by MagicBoy »

Just a general note - being constructive and polite with feedback will give suggestions a more favourable first impression if they are read...
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

MagicBoy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:57 pm Just a general note - being constructive and polite with feedback will give suggestions a more favourable first impression if they are read...
I saw this post and I went back and had a quick scan of the thread, and to be honest I think most of the feedback posted so far in this thread has been fairly 'constructive and polite'. In fact the only post that I thought sort of went against that was aimed at me by you, but that was only a little impolite and I took it as eagerness rather than anything else.
--------------
MagicBoy

Post by MagicBoy »

gordon861 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:11 pm
MagicBoy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:57 pm Just a general note - being constructive and polite with feedback will give suggestions a more favourable first impression if they are read...
I saw this post and I went back and had a quick scan of the thread, and to be honest I think most of the feedback posted so far in this thread has been fairly 'constructive and polite'. In fact the only post that I thought sort of went against that was aimed at me by you, but that was only a little impolite and I took it as eagerness rather than anything else.
Nice try. I'm not biting. Suggest you find a mirror.