Rocks are broken as is

cdaragorn

Rocks are broken as is

Post by cdaragorn »

Rocks are insane the way they're working right now. The fact that they damage anything that so much as touches them is bad enough when added to the already insane rate that equipment wears out at, nevermind the fact that simply rolling over the top of them shouldn't mean anything to a tractor.

There's also the issue that none of the NPC farmers ever take care of the rocks in their fields. This makes every field you don't own a literal minefield and almost makes it not worth doing any contracts for anyone with your own equipment since it's guaranteed to do more damage than you'll ever be paid for the job.

Turning off rock generation doesn't seem to help at all either. Maybe I just haven't gone long enough but so far every single field is still full of them. Mine are the only ones that have stayed clear and that's only after I removed them.
bossmanslim

Re: Rocks are broken as is

Post by bossmanslim »

I turned them off at the start.

Also, repair costs are up in general as I have done almost exclusively grass silage and the repair costs are more than FS19.
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

Problem is the static behaviour in this game. Growth, weeds, rocks are all static generated.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

"Rocks are broken". Was that an intentional pun? 😁

I subsoiled 3 fields on my first save. Removing the stones was just one more task. The hire cost of the machinery was covered by taking them to the rock breaker.

I recommend the more expensive machine. It's much easier to use than the cheaper one which is offset to one side.
cdaragorn

Post by cdaragorn »

StoneTheCrows wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:08 pm "Rocks are broken". Was that an intentional pun? 😁

I subsoiled 3 fields on my first save. Removing the stones was just one more task. The hire cost of the machinery was covered by taking them to the rock breaker.

I recommend the more expensive machine. It's much easier to use than the cheaper one which is offset to one side.
And that might at least be a little tolerable if the NPC farmers even acted like they knew the rocks existed. The fact that they happily take care of every other task for their fields including other optional ones but never take care of the rocks tells me the feature is broken. Maybe read the rest of my post so you can respond to the part of the game I actually feel they broke.
GrimGandalf

Post by GrimGandalf »

StoneTheCrows wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:08 pm "Rocks are broken". Was that an intentional pun? 😁

I agree with stone here. For the most part the only time you’ll have to deal with stones are if you plant corn, sugar beets, or potatoes or if you buy a new field. It’s a nuisance, but a fun nuisance.
PS4, XBOX X & PC Video Game Farmer
cdaragorn

Post by cdaragorn »

GrimGandalf wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:58 pm
I agree with stone here. For the most part the only time you’ll have to deal with stones are if you plant corn, sugar beets, or potatoes or if you buy a new field. It’s a nuisance, but a fun nuisance.
So how do you deal with all the stones in everyone else's fields? I also don't understand why you think those crops are the only ones where you have to deal with the stones. They cause damage to every tool you have hooked up to you as well as the tractor itself just for driving over them. They appear no matter what crop you choose to plant because it happens at the plow and cultivate steps. I honestly don't see why you think only those crops will cause a nuisance.
cdaragorn

Post by cdaragorn »

Please read my post before submitting your opinions on what you think I've said. A lot of people seem to be reading the title and jumping to the conclusion that I hate the idea of having rocks in the game. That's not true at all. I like the idea of more realistic elements to the farming simulation but I have given several points that point to the current implementation just being flat broken.

I guess a lot of what makes me feel this way as well is that it compounds a bigger problem in the game: insane repair times and costs. The rocks cause a ridiculous amount of damage especially to equipment that it just wouldn't damage at all IRL.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

cdaragorn wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:22 pm So how do you deal with all the stones in everyone else's fields? I also don't understand why you think those crops are the only ones where you have to deal with the stones. They cause damage to every tool you have hooked up to you as well as the tractor itself just for driving over them. They appear no matter what crop you choose to plant because it happens at the plow and cultivate steps. I honestly don't see why you think only those crops will cause a nuisance.
I don't work in everyone else's fields. It's not worth the time.

Use a shallow cultivator/power harrow/disc harrow and they don't bring up rocks. The only time you need to worry about rocks is when you use deep tillage ie: after corn, beets, or potatoes.

But I agree with your post for the most part. I think the repairing needs re-balancing in a bad way.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

I was spraying one of my field that has rock in it and seems that my spayer got hit by those rocks.

That's kind of unrealistic...
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

Well the AI farmers don't fertilise their crops; they don't take out their weeds; and now they don't remove their stones. It's a pretty consistent theme.

I'd like to see stones treated the same way as weeds in Seasons 19: I.e. they appear in some places but not all over.

Is it a "broken" mechanic or does it just need tweaking? I think it's just a matter of perspective and the emphasis we give to our words.
hun3

Post by hun3 »

Question: once collect all rocks do they respawn after you cultivate that field again? It would be nice if you only had to collect them maybe once a year or every once in a while.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

hun3 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:46 pm Question: once collect all rocks do they respawn after you cultivate that field again? It would be nice if you only had to collect them maybe once a year or every once in a while.
Depending on what equipment you use to till your field, this will determine how often rocks come up. Use a shallow cultivator or Disk Harrow? No rocks. Use a cultivator or power harrow? Small stones, but you can roll them which is the quickest stone removal method (biggest roller is 24m wide). Plow/Spade/Subsoil, then large rocks appear. These will require the slower stone pickers.

note - I may be incorrect with plows, they might bring up small stones as I've heard. I only use subsoilers. I hate plowing.

Seeing that Seasons22 doesn't have crop rotation, I've determined my own crop rotation to reduce rock pickup. 3 fields, one with a root crop which requires plowing (generates large stones), the other two are seeded crops using a direct drill (no rocks). Make sure to roll anyways for the yield bonus. Periodic plowing is of course enabled. The idea is to rotate your root crop amongst the 3 fields. Then periodic plowing is nullified, as you end up planting root crops on fields after their 2nd harvest since the last time they had root crops. In my way, its a semi-bonus for rotating crops. You can do this with for example corn->oats->wheat->corn. 1 crop each year, unfortunately no double cropping in this biome. All slow plowing and rock picking can then be done in winter.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

StoneTheCrows wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:35 pm Is it a "broken" mechanic or does it just need tweaking? I think it's just a matter of perspective and the emphasis we give to our words.
I think it's mostly the repair costs that are broken at this point.

The rocks make sense. The same piece of ground has been plowed for over 80 years by my family and we get boulders every spring. If we ran over them with a tractor, we might cut a tire, but probably not. If we ran over them with a seed drill, it would be destroyed in one pass (not really, but still).

In-game, I'm playing with rocks turned on and I haven't bought a rock picker. I just ignore them and run over them. My stuff is still working. Maybe I've not played as many hours as others.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
cdaragorn

Post by cdaragorn »

StoneTheCrows wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:35 pm Well the AI farmers don't fertilise their crops; they don't take out their weeds; and now they don't remove their stones. It's a pretty consistent theme.

I'd like to see stones treated the same way as weeds in Seasons 19: I.e. they appear in some places but not all over.

Is it a "broken" mechanic or does it just need tweaking? I think it's just a matter of perspective and the emphasis we give to our words.
If it didn't increase the damage to your equipment and damage things that make no sense for it to damage I would agree that it just needs some tweaking. In my experience NPC farmers seem to take care of those other optional tasks at least some of the time but I could be mistaken about that.

The main problem is that it exacerbates the bigger problem with repair costs in the game in a way that makes actually making a profit almost impossible in some cases (using your own equipment for contract jobs especially). So yes I do consider that broken, not just needing improvement since I see it as having broken an important game mechanic.