Rocks are broken as is

hun3

Re: Rocks are broken as is

Post by hun3 »

dan1109 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:05 pm
hun3 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:46 pm Question: once collect all rocks do they respawn after you cultivate that field again? It would be nice if you only had to collect them maybe once a year or every once in a while.
Depending on what equipment you use to till your field, this will determine how often rocks come up. Use a shallow cultivator or Disk Harrow? No rocks. Use a cultivator or power harrow? Small stones, but you can roll them which is the quickest stone removal method (biggest roller is 24m wide). Plow/Spade/Subsoil, then large rocks appear. These will require the slower stone pickers.

note - I may be incorrect with plows, they might bring up small stones as I've heard. I only use subsoilers. I hate plowing.

Seeing that Seasons22 doesn't have crop rotation, I've determined my own crop rotation to reduce rock pickup. 3 fields, one with a root crop which requires plowing (generates large stones), the other two are seeded crops using a direct drill (no rocks). Make sure to roll anyways for the yield bonus. Periodic plowing is of course enabled. The idea is to rotate your root crop amongst the 3 fields. Then periodic plowing is nullified, as you end up planting root crops on fields after their 2nd harvest since the last time they had root crops. In my way, its a semi-bonus for rotating crops. You can do this with for example corn->oats->wheat->corn. 1 crop each year, unfortunately no double cropping in this biome. All slow plowing and rock picking can then be done in winter.
Thanks for explaining didn't know rocks appearance depends on equipment.
tommo83

Post by tommo83 »

hun3 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:48 pm
dan1109 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:05 pm
hun3 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:46 pm Question: once collect all rocks do they respawn after you cultivate that field again? It would be nice if you only had to collect them maybe once a year or every once in a while.
Depending on what equipment you use to till your field, this will determine how often rocks come up. Use a shallow cultivator or Disk Harrow? No rocks. Use a cultivator or power harrow? Small stones, but you can roll them which is the quickest stone removal method (biggest roller is 24m wide). Plow/Spade/Subsoil, then large rocks appear. These will require the slower stone pickers.

note - I may be incorrect with plows, they might bring up small stones as I've heard. I only use subsoilers. I hate plowing.

Seeing that Seasons22 doesn't have crop rotation, I've determined my own crop rotation to reduce rock pickup. 3 fields, one with a root crop which requires plowing (generates large stones), the other two are seeded crops using a direct drill (no rocks). Make sure to roll anyways for the yield bonus. Periodic plowing is of course enabled. The idea is to rotate your root crop amongst the 3 fields. Then periodic plowing is nullified, as you end up planting root crops on fields after their 2nd harvest since the last time they had root crops. In my way, its a semi-bonus for rotating crops. You can do this with for example corn->oats->wheat->corn. 1 crop each year, unfortunately no double cropping in this biome. All slow plowing and rock picking can then be done in winter.
Thanks for explaining didn't know rocks appearance depends on equipment.
plows bring up small stones. interestingly ive found the more you go over them the bigger they get if you dont get rid of them. i cultivated a field with a deep cultivator it brought up small rocks. cultivated with the same cultivator after plowing it gave the next size up rocks that couldnt be rolled in so you have to choose your equipment carefully as to what rocks you bring up. i like to plow, power harrow, seed then roll the small stones in
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

I like the stones (personally).. its the weeds... still "broken" like 19.. actually more so because spraying kills weeds but my fields show 50% weeds and my yield was terrible with no further way to spray or use a weeder to get them gone.. weeds turned OFF..... again. I was really hoping to be able to use the weeds this time around like in seasons 19 but whatever I guess
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Leapingdeerefarms

Post by Leapingdeerefarms »

Is your name a DOWN reference?
Nothing runs like a deere
Fs community trader link.👇
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Bovrinox

Post by Bovrinox »

Rocks are still broken lol. Most of this pathetic excuse for a game is. New crops dont work properly, the only one new game play feature added doesn't work properly. It doesn't even work like their own tutorials say it does. All rocks are the same, regardless of whether it says they should be large, medium (which apparently no tools bring up anyway, according to them) and small. None of them can be rolled in, they all need a stone picker.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

cdaragorn wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:02 am Rocks are insane the way they're working right now. The fact that they damage anything that so much as touches them is bad enough when added to the already insane rate that equipment wears out at, nevermind the fact that simply rolling over the top of them shouldn't mean anything to a tractor.

There's also the issue that none of the NPC farmers ever take care of the rocks in their fields. This makes every field you don't own a literal minefield and almost makes it not worth doing any contracts for anyone with your own equipment since it's guaranteed to do more damage than you'll ever be paid for the job.

Turning off rock generation doesn't seem to help at all either. Maybe I just haven't gone long enough but so far every single field is still full of them. Mine are the only ones that have stayed clear and that's only after I removed them.
The rocks will go away if you turn them off. After purchasing the field, the stones do disappear from the field if you roll it. If not, turn them on and use deep cultivation or plowing, collect them, turn option off.
Oddbob

Post by Oddbob »

Stones don't cause damage that I know of, unless you mean cosmetic damage as in paint. They don't make the repair cost go up!
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

I play with stones on. Between deep-ploughing with a Lizard 6m/9m (I always plough a field when acquiring it, then I know it's done) and cultivating, I lime then stone pick. This way the weeds are suppressed by the ploughing, the lime is spread and turned into the topsoil, and the stones removed (and crushed into lime or sold) before the "delicate" cultivator / harrower / direct drill gets near the soil.

Do I see differences in stones? Yes, but only large and small (can't remember seeing medium).

Something I keep meaning to try is to stone pick other farmers' fields when I get cultivating contracts on them. Would probably not allow stone picking, but worth trying (especially early game when the lime yield or sales revenue would be useful).
My FarmSim farms on YouTube - Gazbeard
My FarmSim farms on Twitch - TheGazbeard