Fs 22 cows feed consumption and milk rate

Thomasvkr

Fs 22 cows feed consumption and milk rate

Post by Thomasvkr »

I have 80 cows and if I feed 16000 liters, barely 500 liters of feed is lost per 24 hours and only a few hundred liters of milk are added. This can't be the intention, can it?
rasilo

Re: Fs 22 cows feed consumption and milk rate

Post by rasilo »

From my testing, a single cow should eat 14,5 liters of TMR per hour and give 5,7 liters of milk. Therefore, your 80 cows should eat 27.840 liters of TMR a day and give 10.944 liters of milk.
Thomasvkr

Post by Thomasvkr »

rasilo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:53 am From my testing, a single cow should eat 14,5 liters of TMR per hour and give 5,7 liters of milk. Therefore, your 80 cows should eat 27.840 liters of TMR a day and give 10.944 liters of milk.
Alrighty something is wrong with my game…. Is there somebody here that can help me with this problem?
JaGoose

Post by JaGoose »

My 80 cows in the robot barn have just reached maturity and just started producing milk. Currently 500 litres per hour which is more than enough to run my Dairy making cheese and butter as the production cost of these items is rather low. Not sure of the feeding costs as I just keep all the bunkers topped up and buy some mineral every 6 months or so and let Robbie the Robot do the rest. Not sure if the milk yield increase the older the cows get but the Dairy has never run out of milk and is churning out lots of cheese and butter.
rasilo

Post by rasilo »

Thomasvkr wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:10 am Alrighty something is wrong with my game…. Is there somebody here that can help me with this problem?
Maybe there is some scaling with the "days per month" setting? I tested with the default 1 day = 1 month setting, but maybe production decreases as days per month increase to keep the monthly amounts constant?
Thomasvkr

Post by Thomasvkr »

I found the problem. I have this problem only on the map Erlengrat, switched map everything is fine.
salilladelop

Post by salilladelop »

Does anybody if this Erlengrat problem with cows has been solved with the latest patch?
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

Animal input and output scale according to their age. So very young animals consume much less than older animals. Similarly milk, slurry and manure output also scales. You can adjust these scalings in the mod RealLifeNumbers, which you can download from www.modhoster.com. From the next version of the mod, the parameters are saved in xml files, so you can have different settings on different maps. In addition, the mod offers the opportunity to scale down trough feeding, bedding straw, and manure and slurry pit accumulation during a grazing period.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
humbe

Post by humbe »

Are the cows handling like in seasons in FS19 now? Taking a while before they're old enough to start milk production, and then producing more and more and eating more and more as their weight and age increase?
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

humbe wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:55 pm Are the cows handling like in seasons in FS19 now? Taking a while before they're old enough to start milk production, and then producing more and more and eating more and more as their weight and age increase?
Sorta...cows produce milk once they reach maturity and can begin to reproduce. However, they begin giving milk before the birth, all year long, forever. I believe the milk rates are static, however even though it shows 100% productivity, feeding hay to cows will make them produce maybe 20% less milk, coincidently close to the 80% productivity you should get with hay...don't know about weight gain and value for beef cows on hay - but it sounds like a small bug in there.
jitrief

Post by jitrief »

Has anyone already checked if milk production drops with old cows? I have 30 60-month-old cows and 15 40-month-old cows, and I have the impression that each year they are taking longer to reach the 8,000 liters that I usually collect.
Agilhardt

Post by Agilhardt »

@jitiref, I found this thread through Google wondering the same thing, so I did some testing to figure it out myself. I mostly tested Brown Swiss cows on the Erlengrat map but the same numbers seem to be true for Holstein. I'm not sure if they are different on the other maps.

I used the robot feeder barn so I have no information on how much water they consume. The barn requires mineral feed to produce TMR so its use is assumed. I don't think that's true of mixer wagons.

I'm sure I could've just dug this out of the XML but this way was more fun. Here's what I found:
  • As a cow grows, the amount of food it eats and slurry it produces grows with it at a linear rate.
  • At 12 months, a cow begins to produce milk at a rate of 135l/month.
  • At 18 months, a cow stops growing and consumes food at a rate of 350l/month and produces slurry at 250l/month.
  • A cow reaches maximum value at 24 months and can be sold for $1,500.
  • At 36 months it starts to lose value, such that by 60 months (24 months later) it is worth $1,000.
  • At 60 months, a cow stops aging, though it will continue to produce milk, slurry and babies, and eat at the same rate. It will never drop below $1,000 for resale or 60 months of age.
  • The cost of raising a calf depends on your map and economy model. A fully grown cow (18 months+) consumes 131l each of Hay and Silage, 71l of Straw, and 17l of Mineral Feed for 350l total food per month.
A calf eats about 3,500l of food over 18 months to become fully grown and 4,200l of food per year after that.

The cost of raising a calf to adulthood varies by the economy model (easy, normal, or hard) since you'd need to know the opportunity cost of the silage, hay, and straw you feed them. That said, the store sells these things and so their prices can be used as an example. I've skipped passed the math to get these numbers, just know that I found square bales of Hay and Silage to be more efficient than round bales, while it didn't seem to matter much for Straw in terms of cost per 1,000l.
  • 3,742l Hay = $186.30/1,000l = $697
  • 3,742l Silage = $478/1,000l = $1,788
  • 2,041l Straw = $142/1,000l = $290
  • $265l Mineral Feed = $952.40/1,000l = $454
This gives a total of $3,229 per 10,000l of Cow Food.

I know this is an old, dead thread, but it was a top result on Google so I'm inclined to resurrect it. I hope this can be helpful for someone else who, like me, finds it through Google.