Lil' Help

Nickoline99

Lil' Help

Post by Nickoline99 »

I have tried (genuinely have) to find clear guidance on this online but can't find it being clarified so if anyone can help I will be grateful.

The academy mentions ploughing brings up small stones and then elsewhere it says small stones can be rolled back in but large ones need a picker. I have ploughed the field many times and each time rolling the field doesn't push the stones back in and I have to use a stone picker. The size of the field means I fill the stone picker about 8-10 times also so I ended up buying a crusher for my land to sell directly there. Surely this can't be right that (as I am growing corn) I have to do this every time!
DMZ Commander

Re: Lil' Help

Post by DMZ Commander »

Plowing and subsoiling = large & small stones
Cultivating = small stones
Discs = either small stones or no stones, not entirely sure but discs do make weeds grow faster

Rollers only push small stones down. For the large stones that don't disappear with the roller you have to use a stone picker
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

you can also dump the stones into a pile to be dealt with later. Its what I did when I had the small stone picker
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Nickoline99

Post by Nickoline99 »

I thought ploughs dug up big stones but the academy page sais this:

Regular plows are found in the plows category of the shop. They have high power requirements for tractors and a low operating speed. You can also create fields with them. Using a plow will prevent weeds from growing and increase the yield for the next harvest. Small stones will turn up on the fields

Also is there supposed to be a ridiculous amount of stones? 8/9 stone pickers filled on my large field?
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

I have just cultivated two fields with discs - no stones at all.

I ploughed then rolled another two - no discernible changes in the piles of stones.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

essentially, the deeper the tillage, the slower the weeds and larger the stones.. more shallow tillage like discing or power harrowing will turn up no or small, rollable stones but weeds will shoot up "over night".. or at least this is how it is intended to work and how it works on my save
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

I didn't know about that relationship between depth and weeds. Makes sense. Thanks.
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

Stones are a nice addition but they spawn WAY too quickly. I have never met a farmer (and I meet lots with my job) who stone picks as part of regular rotation of crops. At most they are brought in only when absolutly necessary as it's a time consuming and expensive operation. I have the option turned off just now.

To answer your question though, what others have said is correct. Ploughing will bring up larger stones that cannot be rolled back into the soil/field and must be collected but are great for weed control. I plough after every harvest and have yet to have weeds spawn at all in these fields. Cultivator is middle of the road and discing often seems like you are sowing weeds, so you better be ready to catch them quick before they grow.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

GrimHuffer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:10 am Cultivator is middle of the road and discing often seems like you are sowing weeds, so you better be ready to catch them quick before they grow.
What if you plough (mouldboard plough), and then use a disk harrow or power harrow for shallow secondary tillage before seeding (as you would do in real life if you ploughed). Does that keep the weed control benefit of inversion ploughing, or does the disk "reset" the weed growth from the ploughed state?
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

DirectCedar wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:41 am
GrimHuffer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:10 am Cultivator is middle of the road and discing often seems like you are sowing weeds, so you better be ready to catch them quick before they grow.
What if you plough (mouldboard plough), and then use a disk harrow or power harrow for shallow secondary tillage before seeding (as you would do in real life if you ploughed). Does that keep the weed control benefit of inversion ploughing, or does the disk "reset" the weed growth from the ploughed state?
Yes, that's exactly how I do it; plough (mouldboard (not sure if subsoiler or spader will achieve the same, never used/tested them)), disc then seeder. Like you say, just like IRL. Never had to spray a single field with hericide yet. On test fields with cultivator (tine) only (no ploughing at all) I will have to spray but usually just the once. However, with disc only (again, no plough) I will have to spray twice, once very soon after discing/seeding then again later in the growth cycle.

So from what I can tell, once you plough the weed control is 'baked in' and what you do after that has seemingly no effect on weed control. Not sure if the game goes off what type of implement is first used to break the post-harvest soil, i.e. do you still have lots of weeds if you disc then plough (not saying you should, but for testing purposes). Or alternatively, is each implement given a 'weighting' and the highest overrules the others, i.e. disc (say lvl 1 weed suppression) and plough (say lvl 3, with tine cultivator being lvl 2), so discing then ploughing will still yield top levels of weed control. Needs some testing to tease out that info I reckon.
EUROFARMER22

Post by EUROFARMER22 »

So guys, in order to get rid of weeds we will have to spay herbicide after seeding ? Or turn weeds off ?
Any advice would be apreciated
John Deere - Nothing runs like a deere !

PC Specs:
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700G
16GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti 8GB
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB HDD
Nickoline99

Post by Nickoline99 »

You can use weeder attachment if it is within first stage of weed growth. After that you have to spray herbicide.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

There's also a hoe that can be used on bigger weeds apparently. It's listed in the weeder section as a weeder, but if you look closely it's got hoe's instead of just tines. Can't remember the model name.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
EUROFARMER22

Post by EUROFARMER22 »

Thank you very much !!
John Deere - Nothing runs like a deere !

PC Specs:
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700G
16GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti 8GB
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB HDD