Most profitable animal in fs22

Dairydeere

Re: Most profitable animal in fs22

Post by Dairydeere »

Where do horses stand then? I haven't tested them at all, but it sounds like they got nerfed compared to FS19? Definitely agree that chickens, cows, then pigs are most profitable, whereas sheep don't produce a lot of wool to make it worth it.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

Has anyone done a cost comparison of running an arable farm to sell the wheat/etc, vs running the same farm but with a chicken shed(s) and using all the home-grown to feed the chickens to make money that way?

Basically a chicken farm is an arable farm with another step added on....

ETA though I've just realised, they don't model chicken muck do they? Which is (in real life) one of the best ferts.
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

Anyone notice you can only sell a very few eggs to the bakery? (at least the normal one on HB)
I get all excited when I see a good price haul whatever the day's produced, and they take like two cartons of eggs from each pallet then stop. :(
If I take them off the trailer by hand, I get $0 harvest earning message when I walk over.
I assume it has something to do with supply chains and how much the bakery holds; I haven't bought anything, supply chain wise, so I don't know. I figured they would act like normal sell points and just buy stuff (or indicate otherwise)
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

paul_c wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:04 am Has anyone done a cost comparison of running an arable farm to sell the wheat/etc, vs running the same farm but with a chicken shed(s) and using all the home-grown to feed the chickens to make money that way?

Basically a chicken farm is an arable farm with another step added on....

ETA though I've just realised, they don't model chicken muck do they? Which is (in real life) one of the best ferts.
On normal (all estimates as I haven't tracked it exactly and I don't have the game open in front of me), a large chicken house holds 360 immortal chickens. They eat about 16K units of wheat a year and produce about 100k in eggs.

- Upfront cost is 75K + 10K in chickens
- Feed is about 12K per year
- You get like 2.5 pallets of eggs per month, which can be sold for about 3K per 1000 and I think each pallet is 1400 eggs; this is about 10K per month and therefore about 120K per year.
- Chickens are basically a 10x multiplier to wheat

I suspect this will be heavily nerfed upon the next patch.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

Good info, thanks for sharing. I plan on doing a little "test" (once that tiny field 44 is harvested) of 3 or 4 different chicken pens, each being fed different feeds, to see which is optimal. Also, I can run tests on how to balance egg production vs breeding for profit. I'll fill 3 of them with 100% chickens, and the 4th with say 80% and once it reaches 100%, sell 20% of them and repeat...
Adamvet

Post by Adamvet »

JaGoose wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:30 am Will purely depend on what production chains you are going to invest in. Sheep offer a great return when turning the wool into fabric at the spinnery then clothes at the tailors. Also they are cheap to feed.

Cows can be used to turn the milk into cheese and butter at the dairy and are also needed if you also want to make cakes at the bakery. You can also sell use the slurry and manure at the biogas plant. Cows are a lot more work intense than sheep.

I currently have a cow barn with 80 cows and they are providing enough milk to supply my dairy without it running out. I have butter and cheese making constantly. My next move will to be expanding my farm with a sugar factory so I can also start making chocolate.

Chickens like always don't earn great money but egss needed for making cakes. Pigs cost lots to feed due to all the different maount of food types they require, purely sold for meat so they are a slow return. I hear horse are not as profitable as they used to be.

Hi you said that you habe 80 cows, so may I ask you how much milk do you get monthly from them?

My 50 cows give me 5750-6000 letters per mouth what I'm think is stuff.
I have barn with feeder robot all cows are 100% health.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

Dairydeere wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:46 pm Where do horses stand then? I haven't tested them at all, but it sounds like they got nerfed compared to FS19? Definitely agree that chickens, cows, then pigs are most profitable, whereas sheep don't produce a lot of wool to make it worth it.
Sheep are more just low maintenance. just chuck some grass in there and they are good for like a whole year. Lol
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

FarmCatJenkins wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:11 am
Dairydeere wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:46 pm Where do horses stand then? I haven't tested them at all, but it sounds like they got nerfed compared to FS19? Definitely agree that chickens, cows, then pigs are most profitable, whereas sheep don't produce a lot of wool to make it worth it.
Sheep are more just low maintenance. just chuck some grass in there and they are good for like a whole year. Lol
"Chuck some grass" ...? Don't sheep graze the pasture in FS22?
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
player1s

Post by player1s »

paul_c wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:06 pm Good info, thanks for sharing. I plan on doing a little "test" (once that tiny field 44 is harvested) of 3 or 4 different chicken pens, each being fed different feeds, to see which is optimal. Also, I can run tests on how to balance egg production vs breeding for profit. I'll fill 3 of them with 100% chickens, and the 4th with say 80% and once it reaches 100%, sell 20% of them and repeat...
either you are on normal or hard economy or you are selling at the wrong time.
I'm currently on easy and at the right times it can go up to 6000 per 1000 eggs. Depending on how much I have I sell around 4500-5500.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

blue_painted wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:00 am "Chuck some grass" ...? Don't sheep graze the pasture in FS22?
They do not. At least, I haven't noticed.

blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

FarmCatJenkins wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:17 pm
blue_painted wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:00 am "Chuck some grass" ...? Don't sheep graze the pasture in FS22?
They do not. At least, I haven't noticed.
I do hope we are not back to mowing grass for grazing animals? Oh well, time will tell.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

Not sure. I fed them hay when I first built the small barn. Only 5 sheep right now but haven't noticed the food bar being replenished.

Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Pretty sure grazing isn't a thing in FS22, otherwise I would've heard from discord servers about the dairy guys jumping for joy when their cows were grazing lol
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
lukhaj

Post by lukhaj »

I've read several times that sheep don't bring in much money. Cloth or clothes are very good money. But they say there is little wool production from sheep.
I'm doing some tests and so far I've found out
1) it doesn't depend on the type of sheep, they all produce the same
2) depends very much on the age of the sheep!!!

Young sheep give little wool and need little hay. The older the sheep, the more hay it needs and gives more wool.

65 sheep 9 months old give 769L of wool per day
65 sheep 16 months old give 1155L of wool per day

I don't know where it stops, I haven't tested it yet, but I want to try it. I don't think the sheep are not very profitable, but rather it takes too long to become profitable.
bfs2

Post by bfs2 »

Nit horses you lose money if you do them wait 3 years to only get 5k