Not possible to make a profit on horses and pigs

mexel75

Not possible to make a profit on horses and pigs

Post by mexel75 »

Buying horse- and pigfood from the shop, it doesnt seem possible to make a profit on horses nor on pigs. The animal value increase is LESS than the expenses for the food. They simply "eat all the profit" and more. Have not tested the other animals yet.
FarmCatJenkins

Re: Not possible to make a profit on horses and pigs

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

Grow your own food then. Simple solution.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
vhd

Post by vhd »

FarmCatJenkins wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:22 pm Grow your own food then. Simple solution.
So what, then, is the point in store items?
player1s

Post by player1s »

vhd wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:35 pm
FarmCatJenkins wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:22 pm Grow your own food then. Simple solution.
So what, then, is the point in store items?
backup for when you run out or when you already buy them before harvest.
vhd

Post by vhd »

player1s wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:36 pm backup for when you run out or when you already buy them before harvest.
Then it’s cheaper not to feed the animals. Then you will lose less money. Isn't it?
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

Then there production will slow down to a halt, resulting in no growth.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
fuall

Post by fuall »

It appears to be another item that is unbalanced in the game. Got to love the testing.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

It's not unbalanced at all. IRL farmers grow food for both people and animals. On our farm the only food we bought for the animals was mineral feed, the rest we grew. The animals ate what we grew. We sold extra corn, wheat and barley which fed people, as did the milk we sold and the animals we sent to the butcher.

As for the game your best animals to start out with are chickens, sheep, and cows, assuming you grow some grass for the cows and sheep. Then the grain goes to the chickens. Pigs are the most time consuming and most expensive animal to get started with as they require a variety of different foods.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
mexel75

Post by mexel75 »

fuall wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:59 am It appears to be another item that is unbalanced in the game. Got to love the testing.
Yeah. Although after adding up one strange result after another, Im considering to halt the testing until next patch. Since many of the tests that I do now, will probably be obsolete and need redoing anyway.
player1s

Post by player1s »

deerefarm wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:36 am It's not unbalanced at all. IRL farmers grow food for both people and animals. On our farm the only food we bought for the animals was mineral feed, the rest we grew. The animals ate what we grew. We sold extra corn, wheat and barley which fed people, as did the milk we sold and the animals we sent to the butcher.

As for the game your best animals to start out with are chickens, sheep, and cows, assuming you grow some grass for the cows and sheep. Then the grain goes to the chickens. Pigs are the most time consuming and most expensive animal to get started with as they require a variety of different foods.
Honestly, how the game is right now, I personally think pigs only will become interesting once there is a butcher mod so you can sell your pigs there or if you buy it, sell the end products.
holliday50

Post by holliday50 »

deerefarm wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:36 am It's not unbalanced at all. IRL farmers grow food for both people and animals. On our farm the only food we bought for the animals was mineral feed, the rest we grew. The animals ate what we grew. We sold extra corn, wheat and barley which fed people, as did the milk we sold and the animals we sent to the butcher.

I sincerely hope Giants isn't going for anything resembling a real-life economy for this game. I hope we can all agree that a life of debt, banks threatening to take the farm, and relying on government subsidies isn't exactly fun. Do the math on what is required to grow your own food for animals in-game. The land you need, the equipment, maintenance fees, everything, and calculate how many years it'll take you just to break even. I haven't done it for animal food, but I did the math on my tiny vineyard, and it came to 28 years. I'm not even on hard difficulty. The entire economy is jacked up.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

28 years??? I saved up my grape juice from my small vineyard (the 2 fields by the road at the Elm Creek starter farm, I think I have it up to about 20 rows now as I expand a little at a time as I go) for like 3 years and made my money back for the factory cost and then some.. probs another 4-5 years (sooner if I can expand my vines) and I will have my grape harvester paid off. I really don't understand what some of you are doing to keep your costs so high and income so low. Maybe some of you are refusing to get into productions? But grapes themselves, for example, have such a low pay off. The production chains are an absolute must. But they really don't eat up all the time and effort. I only have to mess around with my factory every so often.. Probs spent a few real time hours working around them. Otherwise the bulk of my 140 game hours have been spent working my fields to even supply the factories.
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
holliday50

Post by holliday50 »

PrincessJessi84 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:26 am 28 years??? I saved up my grape juice from my small vineyard (the 2 fields by the road at the Elm Creek starter farm, I think I have it up to about 20 rows now as I expand a little at a time as I go) for like 3 years and made my money back for the factory cost and then some.. probs another 4-5 years (sooner if I can expand my vines) and I will have my grape harvester paid off. I really don't understand what some of you are doing to keep your costs so high and income so low. Maybe some of you are refusing to get into productions? But grapes themselves, for example, have such a low pay off. The production chains are an absolute must. But they really don't eat up all the time and effort. I only have to mess around with my factory every so often.. Probs spent a few real time hours working around them. Otherwise the bulk of my 140 game hours have been spent working my fields to even supply the factories.
The production is part of the cost. I spend $80k on on Grape Processing Unit, and another $55k on the Farmer's Market. These are both placed on my farm. Spent $80k on a plot of land, and $250k on 20 rows of grapes. Have the harvester and all of the necessary equipment. Total cost of the farm was $825k. First harvest, we mulched, cultivated, 100% fertilized, then harvested, turned everything to grape juice, then sold that grape juice at the Farmer's Market after holding it until November. We sold 21 pallets and netted just over $30k. That's 27.5 years to break even on our initial investment ONLY IF we don't count maintenance fees, fuel, repainting costs, etc. You're not the first person to suggest that I'm crazy here, so I want to know what you're doing differently. I am on the middle difficulty, am playing on a MP map on a server I rent from VeryGames, am doing 3-day months, and sold in November when grape juice was just under 3400. We felt like $30k for that year of work was absolutely insulting. We invested 20k in 2 large greenhouses and will likely make more money on that investment than in our $825k vineyard.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

honestly, it seems like I have just kept my cost a lot lower. I bought the harvester used and got the grape plant. Otherwise I have bought the minimal as they just don't need much and almost all of that was used (I think I flipped full price for that little cultivator).. already had the land.. and the vines I just add a little as I go with some of the profits from my 3 greenhouses. Honestly idk other than that.
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

It’s to *** if you’re short feed. It’s meant help keep animals producing and isn’t intended to be profitable, just like in real life. Buying bagged feed isn’t economical it’s for people who have animals because they think they’re cute. Grow your feed that’s the way it’s profitable, it is a simulator after all.