GIANTS: Equipment Maintenance Suggestions

BigTim

GIANTS: Equipment Maintenance Suggestions

Post by BigTim »

Equipment, especially vehicles should have a chance to break down. Im talking straight up stop running, unable to start, needing major repairs. This chance should increase as the maintenance bar goes down. Then if it does break down, costs to repair should be extremely expensive then. This will make players be more aware of keeping their equipment well maintained as it gets older. Also, the more hours on equipment, the more chance of major repairs or break downs. This will also require tractors and equipment to be replaced as they get too old. In addition, it will make players have to consider that when purchasing used equipment. I highly recommend these features for more realism. Then there could be options to turn these features on/off for those who want the weak easy way.
Noraf

Re: GIANTS: Equipment Maintenance Suggestions

Post by Noraf »

Not going to happen, witch brand would have their equiptment breake down?
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Im referring to poorly maintained equipment. Any brand would break down without proper maintenance. This would add additional realism to the game. You cant keep running any vehicle, car, truck, tractor, whatever without proper maintenance and not expect major issues and break downs.
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

You're absolutely right, but unfortunately so is Noraf. It's a miracle we got some chipped paint.
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Well its a farming sim, so simulate the great, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I want to be struggling on my farm and see the harsh reality when my equipment breaks down because of failure to maintain. More realism is great in a sim, especially a sim with an economy.
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

That’s all great, and you, I, and a lot of people would love that, but I would bet that the licence agreements to allow Giants to represent these brands in the game forbid it.
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Maybe but if so that's ludicrous. I'm fairiy sure that no one would say, oh im not going to buy a john deer or massey furgerson because it broke down in the game since i didn't do regular maintenance. 😂 Regular maintenance is all part of owning anything and certainly part of farming equipment.
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

Common sense would agree with you, however brand management can get a bit precious sometimes
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

BigTim wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:29 am Maybe but if so that's ludicrous. I'm fairiy sure that no one would say, oh im not going to buy a john deer or massey furgerson because it broke down in the game since i didn't do regular maintenance. 😂 Regular maintenance is all part of owning anything and certainly part of farming equipment.
I could see people saying that haha. Have you read some post on here lately? Ha we have some that think giants are stealing within their own game and products ha.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

I think that's also why there is no high fuel use option. They want their machines showcased on this game without associating any perceived negatives with their brands. Unfortunately, I think maintenance is always going to be kept overly simplistic and easy to deal with. I've said before, we're lucky we can get 'em dirty.
PS4
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

When i seen the first videos of FS22, i was worried that equipment no longer got dirty since they all looked clean. Then quickly seen they do still get dirty. Nothing more realistic then an old dirty looking work horse tractor.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Yeah, it's nice that they let you kill the tractor when you dump the clutch, but it'd also be nice if you had a breakdown every so often where the tractor wouldn't start, won't shift right, etc., and you have to repair it. While we're on this topic though, it might be a good idea if Giants address the amount of maintenance we have to do in FS22 too lol
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Exactly and it would certainly make things more realistic. Daggerwin mention breakdowns in FS22 as kind of a wish. He also mentioned used equipment and hey, that happened and i love it.
b101uk

Post by b101uk »

a rather silly idea given the farcically absurd high costs already involved.

likewise hours per se are not the biggest factor in increased maintenance IRL, it the driver/s that are the biggest influence, you can have tractors with well over 10,000h hours on that are in better mechanical condition than some with half or even quarter the hours, even though they have had servicing by the book, as some people are significantly more mechanically sympathetic than many.

the last thing we need are random high costs for even more maintenance on top of the absurd high costs already, which may be fine when you are getting paid the crop prices on easy and medium mode.
plays FS15/FS17/FS19/FS22 on PC
:zunge:
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

We did have random breakdowns in Seasons 17, the engine cut out and it took several tries to start, but as that was a third-party mod presumably GIANTS could not be held to account by any hyper-sensitive brand managers.

I'd like to see something like that, or even better with gearbox fails, hydraulic failures and so on. I haven't played enough in FS22 to get to 0% maintenance on anything but in FS19 the only effect I noticed was the machine running slower, which I suppose aggregates all the effects of poor maintenance. However, any improvement on these lines needs to be as part of re-balancing maintenance vs fuel consumption as, as several people have observed, the maintenance meter runs down faster than the fuel gauge and, I think, costs a lot more.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads