GIANTS: Equipment Maintenance Suggestions

BigTim

Re: GIANTS: Equipment Maintenance Suggestions

Post by BigTim »

I noticed loss of power, acceleration and speed as my equipment maintenance goes down. I bought a used tractor that was nearly 0 on maintenance, it was sluggish and lacking pull power pretty bad until i repaired it. I especially notice this when under load.
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

I think we would be more successful at twisting Giants arm of we were a little bit more realistic in what could be done.
So I would purpose a mini-game in where once a year you have to buy a pallet of filters and oils etc and then drive your tractor next to it turn it off, lift the bonnet, click certain parts on the engine filters and oil caps etc and then click the new ones and place them in the right place and then close the bonnet and job done. Or of course you could just take it to your dealer and pay them to do it.

No brand could argue against that as they all recommend that you change filters at least once a year.

I think this is feasible compared to anything else anyway.
Sonek4

Post by Sonek4 »

I would be glad if, at least, we had to change tires from time to time... If anyone ask me i would say that i would enjoy the game much more if it was stick to real life. Somehow i have a feeling that Giants needs to see more posts like that and people pressuring up to see improvements to the game physics and realism so they'll know what the community is wishing for. There's alot of good ideas around and many things could be better if they listen to us. Two years ago i had some discussion with some guys on Discord about the sounds of machinery and i've suggested that we could at least sounds of gear changings... Well, they did it better and now we have gear boxes! I mean, they listen sometimes...
Well, i wouldn't wait for a realistic maintenance system for some reason but as i said, i would be glad if we get a tire change sometimes... It's a start
Sonek4
FS 15/17/19/22 on PS4 and XBox One
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

BigTim wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:57 am I noticed loss of power, acceleration and speed as my equipment maintenance goes down. I bought a used tractor that was nearly 0 on maintenance, it was sluggish and lacking pull power pretty bad until i repaired it. I especially notice this when under load.
I was harvesting beet and def noticed the power dropping on my tractor. It was second-hand so maintenance dropped quickly over the course of an hour. Eventually it would not move the topper/ harvester at all. That's equivalent to a breakdown.
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

Sonek4 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:11 pm I would be glad if, at least, we had to change tires from time to time... If anyone ask me i would say that i would enjoy the game much more if it was stick to real life. Somehow i have a feeling that Giants needs to see more posts like that and people pressuring up to see improvements to the game physics and realism so they'll know what the community is wishing for. There's alot of good ideas around and many things could be better if they listen to us. Two years ago i had some discussion with some guys on Discord about the sounds of machinery and i've suggested that we could at least sounds of gear changings... Well, they did it better and now we have gear boxes! I mean, they listen sometimes...
Well, i wouldn't wait for a realistic maintenance system for some reason but as i said, i would be glad if we get a tire change sometimes... It's a start
I would say they are always listening but theres listening and then there's actually implementation.
They've sold 1.5 million copies so far that's alot of people to please and while you might want to changes tires there's probably 10 people who don't. So it's an awful balancing act that you can't win.

Just like gears I bet 90% of people who play farm sim have it set to automatic. That's alot of work to do just to have it turned off. So they have to find features that the 90% want to play with while still adding features for the serious gamers. It's not something enough people appreciate what giants are trying to do.

I just hope they give themselves another 3 or 4 years to really make a significant jump again.

But for now just cutting the maintenance bill in half would be a start.
Sonek4

Post by Sonek4 »

Yeah, yeah... Many people plays a game with "Simulator" in the name but doesn't want to "simulate" at all...
Look, doesn't matter if you play as authomatic gear changes or manualy: we have this now and even as authomatic it is wonderfull because vehycles have gear shifting and so the in game vehycles must have. It was just horrible back in FS19 when it wasn't there and we had to drive our vehycles hearding the same annoying noise.
Now is much better authomataly or not.
Also, to keep an expensive machine running smothly you certainly will have to espend money. The problem is that folks wants everything faster and easyer and this is nothing but lazzyness.
I want realism and simulation If someone doesn't likes this way then should probably go play Free Fire...
Sonek4
FS 15/17/19/22 on PS4 and XBox One
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

You all have some good ideas. Having to buy maintenance parts and replace tires would be great. On the gear boxes, even set to automatic i notice the tractors still take time to shift unlike just smoothly moving along as it was in fs19. Love how i can actually see the driver shifting.
b101uk

Post by b101uk »

reality, tyres last much linger on tractor that do mostly fieldwork, than on tractors that do a lot more road-work.

the currant maintenance for 5 hours of work of tractors of ~230hp that is 0 days old is more than you would have to spend in 5000 hours and were changing filters and oils at half service intervals yourself, meaning you would be using twice the amount of filters and oils most people would.

and for the price of paint, you could repaint 10 tractors for the cost, which would include white metal sand-blasting and better quality paint than the manufacture would use.

10h is more than you would pay for a factory reconditioned CVT pack fitted out of warranty by a main dealer for a similar size tractor.

people keep using the argument of oh but reality in this thread and yet fail to see maintenance cost are implied to cover much more than basic servicing just through the absurdity of costs already attached.
plays FS15/FS17/FS19/FS22 on PC
:zunge:
Sweet Wheat

Post by Sweet Wheat »

I use a rng to have a chance of major repairs for equipment and vehicle breakdowns that take from 1 to 12 hours to fix in 2 day months, adjusting if I use more days later.
The time lost repairing and timing of the breakdown can be worse than the cost of the repair itself.
fuall

Post by fuall »

Unless there is an inside source saying every single brand in the game says no to breakdowns, it's all just speculation on your part. It doesn't make sense to me that a all brands are banded together to say no breakdowns. It also doesn't make sense that they would all say make them dirty, and scratch the paint, but don't let them break down.
It's possible, and likely, that Giants just doesn't want to develop it into the game. They are letting you make it easy for them so they don't have to tell you they just don't want to develop it.
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

Only takes one major to say no for the feature to become unviable. Nevertheless, you are right that it's mostly conjecture. We had this conversation years ago, and at the time it was suggested that manufacturers were not receptive to this idea - but I'm going through my post history right now and I can't find the thread, so it was either removed, or my memory is playing tricks on me.
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

b101uk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:23 pm people keep using the argument of oh but reality in this thread and yet fail to see maintenance cost are implied to cover much more than basic servicing just through the absurdity of costs already attached.
I never thought of it this way and it's a good point. Could be why prices are much higher here then in fs19. In fs19 costs were little or nothing so at very least there's an improvement, but perhaps abstractly implemented. Also, has anyone found that higher hour tractors maintenance bar drops quicker then low hour tractors? It sure seems so to me. I repaired my used Massey Fergurson with 40+ hours and I can swear it drops faster then my other tractors. So if it gets to a point where the older its gets, then more you keep having to repair, thats great. Eventually it could be necessary to replace the tractor.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

My Claas is holding steady at ahout €1750/hour, with 55 hours on the clock. (Bought second hand with 35 hrs).
briansommers

Post by briansommers »

I'm with ya BigTim - Here is one roleplayer that would love to see this happen...
dbw86

Post by dbw86 »

I'm really curious how I lubricate my tractors, implements, and other equipment since I just spend $1,500 for a barrel of lubricating grease only to discover no one knows how to use it. Another thing about Maintenance I've often wondered my vehicles, tractors will show 0% ready to run and work but when I take it to the shop they won't repair it. But take in a Bailer, Combine, Header and such that still has live but is in the red and almost always they will fix it. Astounds me.