No indication for tree logs pricing

benjaprud

No indication for tree logs pricing

Post by benjaprud »

Hi all,

I've tried planting trees for the first time in an FS game and found out that it is quite profitable and a nice revenue boost if you're struggling with your finances.

Tree saplings are sold in 20 saplings crates so I planted all 20 of them. The trailer I use can hold two full trees so I went to sell them every two trees. I made about 3000$ a tree with <200kg logs and then used the superstrength mod to cut down on manual work which netted me about 6500$ a tree. Then suddenly the price plumetted to 8$ a tree probably following a price update with all the logs I've been selling pushing the price down.

The thing is while you can view the market price for any other commodity, there's no indication about the current tree logs price. My experience indicates that they're still subject to market variations. I guess due to the fact that logs price varies depending on the length and curvature of each log, Giants chose to not include the base value on which selling price is calculated. That leaves us with selling blindly to whatever the market price is.

That would be great if we could have an an idea of what the base price is for tree logs at any point in time.
fuall

Re: No indication for tree logs pricing

Post by fuall »

Sounds like it's half working, as designed.
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

I don't log much so can't say from personal expereicne butI read on here (somewhere) that there is a limit to how much you can sell before the price drops and you have to wait until the next day, maybe even a few days don't recall, before the price reinflates/goes back to where it was. I think they also said that if you own the sawmill there is no drop in price. Again, I've not tried this out personalluy and I may be remembering totally wrong but it might be worth a try or maybe have a look on here for the other post.
benjaprud

Post by benjaprud »

Yes, it's pretty much how it works right now meaning you sell until one of your trees gets you 3$. So you have to remember to save before hauling any tree and if one goes for 3$ you just quit and load your save back. Then you'd have to wait, save again, try to sell another tree see if the price went up sufficiently and if not, load your save back. Basically it works just as any other commodity, except you sell blind.
TheSarkY

Post by TheSarkY »

I see most comments explaining how it works or how to avoid losing money but whole point of this topic is to have sell price for logs with either limit or something so we can be aware of it.
benjaprud

Post by benjaprud »

Yup, I get that given the way it's calculated we don't have any way to predict exactly our revenue but, having access to the base index with maybe a written disclaimer would be helpful, or maybe the values for let's say 1 meter, 4 meters, 8 meters straight logs, I'd let Giants figure it out. The current way is just annoying.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

The problem is, because there is no information as to how it should work we have no way of knowing if this is how it's supposed to work, it's part of the screwed up economy, or it's just another of the many bugs.

And we may never know because Giants seem totally incapable of actually talking to their customers on their own official forums.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
fuall

Post by fuall »

gordon861 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:12 pm The problem is, because there is no information as to how it should work we have no way of knowing if this is how it's supposed to work, it's part of the screwed up economy, or it's just another of the many bugs.

And we may never know because Giants seem totally incapable of actually talking to their customers on their own official forums.
They hid their bug tracking behind a separate credential system, to make it more difficult to see the progress they may or may not be making. It probably had to do with people rightfully complaining that Giants was labeling many bugs as [WONT FIX]
benjaprud

Post by benjaprud »

I don't log much so can't say from personal expereicne butI read on here (somewhere) that there is a limit to how much you can sell before the price drops and you have to wait until the next day, maybe even a few days don't recall, before the price reinflates/goes back to where it was. I think they also said that if you own the sawmill there is no drop in price. Again, I've not tried this out personalluy and I may be remembering totally wrong but it might be worth a try or maybe have a look on here for the other post.
Thanks for the suggestion.

So, I've bought the sawmill and its storage was almost full. I think what happens is if you sell logs but you exceed the sawmill's storage capacity, you don't get paid for what gets thrown away. That would explain why the price suddenly goes to really low numbers like 8$ a tree. That would also explain why on my first run I was able to sell 13 trees before the price fell, but on my second try about 12 days later I was only able to sell 2 and got 1/2 price for the third one. If this is the case then it would be nice if we had access to the available storage capacity of the sawmill even if we don't own it, or have some kind of alert message when trying to sell more than the sawmill is capable of storing. This may be true for all other industries as well. Whether the logs price is subject to seasonal variations I actually have no idea but maybe it isn't after all.

This is something that's bound to happen when you get into planting trees as a batch is 20 trees, which the sawmill can't handle in one delivery.

On a side note, when you purchase an industry, the price is the same whether it's stock is full or empty. So I sold for about 100,000$ of logs and used them to purchase the sawmill which is full of my wood I just sold, and I'll be able to sell it again as planks. Buy an industry, get your product back for free.
fuall

Post by fuall »

benjaprud wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:13 am
On a side note, when you purchase an industry, the price is the same whether it's stock is full or empty. So I sold for about 100,000$ of logs and used them to purchase the sawmill which is full of my wood I just sold, and I'll be able to sell it again as planks. Buy an industry, get your product back for free.
Same bug where you buy a ready-to-harvest field, harvest the crop, and then sell the field for the same price you paid.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

fuall wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:30 pm
Same bug where you buy a ready-to-harvest field, harvest the crop, and then sell the field for the same price you paid.
It's more of an exploit than a bug 😉
Some people like to play field flipping - its a good way of building funds.

But I think the sawmill is just really funny. Anyone who role plays is not going to use that exploit intentionally.
fuall

Post by fuall »

StoneTheCrows wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:33 pm

But I think the sawmill is just really funny. Anyone who role plays is not going to use that exploit intentionally.
Yes, it's the exploitation of a bug.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

fuall wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:43 pm
StoneTheCrows wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:33 pm

Yes, it's the exploitation of a bug.
Well, have it your way. It's really not worth arguing over.