help seed or roll 1st

Lankspeed

help seed or roll 1st

Post by Lankspeed »

Hello everyone,
Can somebody explain this.
Under Growth map option it gives SEEDBED but seedbed only gets highlighted when you roll a cultivated field.
But the tutorials state you seed then use the roller.

So Question is Roller after Cultivation.
Or Roller after Seeding.

To get Max yeild.

Thanks for any advice.
PrincessJessi84

Re: help seed or roll 1st

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

I go based on what I read about real farmers rolling.. I seed then roll.. the game seems to respond properly to it and it seems to be what other folks on here are doing as well.. I hope its right or I have been wasting a TON of time :neutralnew:
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
ace54858

Post by ace54858 »

PrincessJessi84 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:40 am I go based on what I read about real farmers rolling.. I seed then roll.. the game seems to respond properly to it and it seems to be what other folks on here are doing as well.. I hope its right or I have been wasting a TON of time :neutralnew:
that's how i've been doing it as well as i do belive it makes a seed bed from what i have heard.
vbost

Post by vbost »

i had a weird discovery yesterday. i've had the seedbed status wtihout rolling. these where the steps i took:
1) harvest previous canola
2) fertilise with fertilisespreader
3) cultivate with disc harrow
4) fertilise with fertilisespreader

after those 4 steps it gave the indication "seedbed".

it is not logic that you would roll before seeding as the point of rolling is to give more density to the soil to have a better soil to seeds contact.

hope this helps
Lankspeed

Post by Lankspeed »

PrincessJessi84 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:40 am I go based on what I read about real farmers rolling.. I seed then roll.. the game seems to respond properly to it and it seems to be what other folks on here are doing as well.. I hope its right or I have been wasting a TON of time :neutralnew:
So that is what I do, in fact it is what the tutorial says.
Thanks.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

I use a disc or shallow cultivator to get the seedbed, then drill and roll after that as that is more how I am used to it being done.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

A seed bed is what you are looking to plant into irl, it’s not the necessarily the reason you roll crops though I know some folks do roll before planting. The only thing we ever rolled was alfalfa when we use to plant it, and soybeans. It is supposed to help germination but the main reason we do it is to smash in rocks and dirt clumps (specifically root balls from corn) to keep the field nice and flat for harvesting. With soybeans you run the head very close to the ground (especially if it was a not so great growing year) so you don’t want to be picking that trash up. I can also confirm we roll immediately following planting and the roller is in the field before I’m finished planting. I can also confirm people roll when Soys are three to four inches tall. It all depends heavily on your soil type and what you are trying to achieve but I do believe the game is going for the post plant rolling.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

We used to plow in the fall, disk in the spring, then plant then roll the seedbed to make it nice and flat. I did try rolling before and after planting, and only after planting in the game but as it only yields a 5% bonus it's hard to say if that's a real bonus or just a margin or error.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Okay I may have missed it, but what is the benefit of "seedbed" (in-game, not IRL)? I disc before planting/seeding if I don't need to plow so I don't bring up any rocks. This gives you stubble cultivation. The planters/seed drills can plant into stubble cultivation. I can also get "seedbed" from discing after plowing.

The last time I planted I did this. Harvest>mulch>fert>disc>plant. I just wanted to try out a mulcher. IRL, a discing stubble is "mulching" but the game has other ideas.

Is there an added benefit to "seedbed" or is it just another soil state for the heck of it?

Edit: For that matter, is there an added benefit from stubble cultivation? Is it just for role-play?
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

Mulching and seed bed are supposed to add 5% yield bonus each I believe
Playing on PC and PS4
crash

Post by crash »

I think stubble cultivation is for the sake of giving a "no rocks" option, with a high speed tillage tool.. (that isent high speed at all btw)
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Just had a look at the tutorial. It says to roll after seeding for the 5% yield bonus.

Seeding and planting are coming soon. Hopefully that will give some insight as to what "seedbed" actually adds.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

fenixguy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:51 pm Just had a look at the tutorial. It says to roll after seeding for the 5% yield bonus.

Seeding and planting are coming soon. Hopefully that will give some insight as to what "seedbed" actually adds.
It just means your planting into a nice even surface which in term means good seed coverage and even planting which means even coverage, germination, and sprouting. That prevents exposed seeds not germinating due to rotting from surface moisture, not getting substantial moisture to germinate from laying on the surfaces just below it, or never sprouting before rotting from being to planted to deep. Not to mention a host of other fungal issues from exposed roots. A 5% bonus for proper field prep is extremely generous and it should be more like a large loss if you don’t. That’s what the five percent is giants simulating planting more realistically
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Mwal wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:05 pm It just means your planting into a nice even surface which in term means good seed coverage and even planting which means even coverage, germination, and sprouting. That prevents exposed seeds not germinating due to rotting from surface moisture, not getting substantial moisture to germinate from laying on the surfaces just below it, or never sprouting before rotting from being to planted to deep. Not to mention a host of other fungal issues from exposed roots. A 5% bonus for proper field prep is extremely generous and it should be more like a large loss if you don’t. That’s what the five percent is giants simulating planting more realistically
Right, but none of that is simulated in-game. I haven't seen anything yet that says seedbed gives a 5% bonus. Mulching and rolling give 5% each, but "seedbed" can bed achieved without doing either of those things.

There's an upcoming tutorial on it that hopefully will explain it a little better.
Coldlandlord

Post by Coldlandlord »

You can do both. Before drilling gives you a nice powdery seed bed, after helps bury the seed and aids germination, both helps bury stones. If you want to be realistic, if rolling after, go at a slightly different angle to the drill.